TW Book Club discussion

Other recommendations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wendt (wendtastic) | 354 comments Mod
Hey group! I just finished reading a book "on my own" that I really wish we would have done as a group. I wish I had someone to discuss it with! It's a family saga, so it looks at relationships between parents, siblings, parent-sibling, framed by religion - not just going to church on Sunday, but religion guiding every part of your life, culture, diet, etc. I thought the book did a good job of showing the perspective of each family member, making me understand their perspectives. Part 4 had me bawling, not just sadness, but overwhelmed by emotion in general. I was a little confused and frustrated early on when it starts flipping around in time, but once I got the hang of it, I can't imagine the story told any other way. If you try this one, let me know what you think.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 215 comments What was the name of the book?

message 3: by Tracy (new)

That's so weird - I linked the book to the comment but it's not showing up. It's called "A Place for Us" by Fatima Farheen Mirza.

I have a notification that says Jackie commented on this, too, but it's not showing up either. What's up, Goodreads?

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 215 comments Weird. Turns out it is on my "To Read" list!

message 5: by Tracy (new)

That's why this book club is so awesome!

Can't wait to hear what you think of it. A couple times I felt like it was slow, but once I really got into the characters I loved it.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 166 comments Another recommend for you....

The Carry Home by Gary Ferguson

I read it last year and the story has stayed in my heart. It's a wonderful combination of wilderness adventure, love story, and grief.

message 7: by Tracy (new)

Thanks, Jackie! I think I marked it as one to read.

Did I see that you're reading the Longmire books or am I thinking of someone else? If so, have you tried CJ Box? I'm addicted! They are fun quick reads - the Joe Pickett series is focused on a Wyoming game warden and is pretty well researched. It's fun to read about fake crimes based on current wildlife and natural resource management issues.

message 8: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 166 comments I am reading Longmire and love it! Someone else had recommended the Joe Pickett series to me and I plan to pick it up after I'm through Longmire. I really enjoy these types of series that are quick and entertaining. Something to fall back on between our club picks