Prize Readers discussion

Awards Roundup--Archive > 2019 International Dublin Literary Award Shortlist

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
The International DUBLIN Literary Award is presented annually for a novel written in English or translated into English. The Award is sponsored by Dublin City Council, the municipal government of Dublin, and administered by Dublin City Public Libraries. The Award aims to promote excellence in world literature. Nominations are submitted by library systems in major cities throughout the world. The award is now in its 24th year. The Lord Mayor of Dublin is Patron of the Award.

The prize is €100,000 which is awarded to the author if the book is written in English. If the winning book is in English translation, the author receives €75,000 and the translator, €25,000. The winner also receives a trophy provided by Dublin City Council.

In order to be eligible for consideration a novel must have been:

(a) first published in English between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017, both dates inclusive, or
(b) first published in a language other than English between 1st January 2013 and 31st December 2017 and first published in English translation between 1st January 2017 and 31st December 2017, all dates inclusive.
(c) available in print as published and commercially distributed.

The nomination process for the Award is unique as nominations are made by libraries in capital and major cities throughout the world. Participating libraries can nominate up to three novels each year. Over 400 library systems in 177 countries worldwide are invited to nominate books each year. Dublin City Libraries actively seek out and encourage nominations from countries who have not previously nominated books for the award. Libraries interested in participating should contact the organisers for details.

Nomination forms and the full rules and conditions for the 2020 award will be sent to all invited libraries (400 systems in 177 countries) in February/March 2019. The closing date for returning nomination forms for the 2020 award is 3rd May 2019.

The Shortlist was announced early today or late last night from the longlist (available here: http://www.dublinliteraryaward.ie/nom...), and includes the following titles:

Compass by Mathias Énard, trans. by Charlotte Mandell
History of Wolves by Emily Fridlund
Exit West by Mohsin Hamid
Midwinter Break by Bernard MacLaverty
Reservoir 13 by Jon McGregor
Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
Idaho by Emily Ruskovich
Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie

The Winner will be announced June 12th.

message 2: by Sam (new)

Sam | 85 comments Bob I didn't see this go up. It is a great list but I had already read all but Macleverty and Enard, so I am going to focus on the BTBA and come back to the two books I missed before June.

message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob Lopez | 196 comments Mod
Sam wrote: "Bob I didn't see this go up. It is a great list but I had already read all but Macleverty and Enard, so I am going to focus on the BTBA and come back to the two books I missed before June."

Yeah, it's a weird award to give out in 2019--that they had be published in 2017?