Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Weekly Checkins > Week 14: 3/29 – 4/4

Comments Showing 1-50 of 195 (195 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sara (last edited Apr 04, 2019 07:05AM) (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Week 14: 3/29 – 4/4

Hello and happy April to everyone! Temperatures are warming up here and the evenings have been so pleasant for walking the dog. I wish spring and fall weather could last most of the year.

**Admin note: The discussion for April’s group read of The Witch Elm is open here

The books for quarter 3 have been selected:

July (set in space): The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
August (two female authors): The Wife Between Us
September (set on college campus): A Discovery of Witches - ETA: We have a volunteer for this book!

If you are interested in leading the discussion for July or August please PM either myself or Nadine (volunteering in this thread can easily get lost).

Time for the reading check-in!

Finished:

Heidi – this was a reread/buddy read for me. I love Heidi, and this is the perfect time of year to read it. Heidi lives on top of a mountain in the Swiss Alps with her grandfather. She has many adventures including some time spent in Frankfurt, but my most favorite is when she’s on the mountaintop and describing the flowers, trees, scenery, eating bread and cheese and drinking fresh milk!

Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup – I loved this book! It’s very much one of those “truth is stranger than fiction” stories. This is the story of Elizabeth Holmes and her startup company, Theranos, that convinced investors and stores like Safeway and Walgreens to invest in a groundbreaking blood test system…except the technology didn’t work. It's an incredible story and an engaging read. The book is written by the Wall Street Journal journalist who broke the story a few years ago.

Kingdom of the Blind by Louise Penny. I just finished this most recent installment in the Inspector Gamache series. Now I’m joining the long wait until the next one comes out in August!

DNF
So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson – I picked up the audio of this for $5 in Audible’s recent sale. I don’t know if it’s the content or just his voice, but I just can’t go through five more hours of this. I think the subject is important, but I don’t necessarily like some of his commentary. There was one moment in particular when he was talking about the girl who made the Aids comment right before she boarded a plane to Africa. He was talking about how her joke was in poor taste and then compared it to a similar joke he had made that he said was much funnier. Spoiler – his joke wasn’t funny either and was also in rather poor taste. Sorry, not sorry. I may consider picking this up in print at some point but it’s doubtful.

Currently reading:

The Whispered Word by Ellery Adams – small town, bookshop mystery. Sequel to The Secret, Book, & Scone Society which I loved!

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society – I’m rereading this on audio as my bedtime book. Such a charming story!

I Capture the Castle – working my way through this on audio as well. It’s good, but it is rather slow moving. I’ll finish eventually.

24/50

Question of the week:

Where do you get most of your books from? Do you buy, borrow from the library or from friends?

I wanted to say that I got most of my books from the library, but I checked my handy reading log, and it turns out that 70% of my books this year were purchased and 20% from the library. To be fair, most of my purchased books are kindle deals or used books so rarely am I spending more than $5-6 per book. I have made a concerted effort this year to avoid buying print books from Amazon. I keep a list of print books I really want, and I will have my local used bookstore order a copy for me so at least she gets a dollar or two of profit from each one. As a bonus, it has helped me to limit how many new books I buy!

ETA: I do use my library a lot, but I keep requesting a stack of books and only get through one or two before they are due back (I get distracted by reading new books that pop onto my radar or books that are already piling up at home) so many of them are returned unread. I think if I could pull the numbers for how many books I've checked out it would be much higher) :)

message 2: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1072 comments The weather is dreadful right now and I forgot to bring lunch so I'm currently debating whether to run for it or wait to see if it gets better. But I'm hungry!

I'm definitely getting to the point where books aren't happily fitting prompts and I'm going to have to start reading with a bit more purpose! I do have my ATY rejects list to start too though, so hopefully my side reads will go somewhere.

It's Dewey's 24 Hour Readathon this weekend! Anyone else joining in? I'm doing the Magical Readathon O.W.L.s too...

This week I finished The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo for ATY (name in title). I enjoyed this though I'm not sure I would read more of her books.

The True Queen for review and ATY (2019 release). Lots of fun, better than the first book and focuses on a new character.

Currently reading Other Words for Smoke for review, might use it for Popsugar's 2019 release prompt if it doesn't go elsewhere. My copy is so pretty with pink sprayed edges so I'm using it for my Transfiguration O.W.L.

And I'm currently listening to Last Ones Left Alive for my Divination O.W.L. This works for a few ATY prompts but not decided where yet.

PS: 19/52 | ATY: 19/52 | GR: 37/100

QOTW:
I buy a lot of books new, I like supporting authors and bookshops while I can. I also have access to a lot of review copies if I want them, but I try not to go overboard, even if it is tempting! I only use the library for audiobooks via BorrowBox.

I'm behind on updating my TBR Tracker so I can't give this year's acquisition stats, but I've definitely bought more books than I've read. My top source for physical books is Waterstones but because I buy a lot of cheap ebooks, I imagine Amazon is top overall.

message 3: by Tania (new)

Tania | 460 comments Good morning!

Nothing finished this week; I'm still working on Batman: Nightwalker.

QOTW: Most of my books are owned. I frequent our local used book stores for print books and get free or cheap e-books from Amazon, most of the time. Once in a while I'll splurge on a new print book. I do use our library, the Batman book I'm reading right now is a digital loan from the library, but I definitely read more owned books just because there are so many I have that I've not read yet (and because I can't help buying books, lol).

message 4: by Jen (last edited Apr 04, 2019 05:09AM) (new)

Jen (jentrewren) | 777 comments Evening everyone.
It has been a very strange week here. My challenging y9 class (all have some sort of issue, either learning, deafness or behavioural) have had a great week. They actually smiled arriving at class, one wrote have a lovely day and drew a smiley face on his assignment and nobody complained at fixing their drafts before final submission. We finished today playing with the Van der Graaf and had a fantastic time.
The errant one is still errant though. Doing my head in TBH.

Finished 2 books this week which won't fit PS and were strange.
Nightflyers which I was really disappointed with. It was my first George R.R. Martin book and I have the whole Game of Thrones boxset on my shelf as a present from my y9s a couple of years back. I will still read them one day because it was such a lovely thought from those kids.
The Haunted Vagina which I heard about on here and then randomly found at the weekend. Very strange indeed. One of my colleagues has now borrowed it because she also thought it sounded insane.

Currently attempting to read about 10 books none of which are holding my interest. The Reader will probably be the first one I finish but it is making me really angry (probably because I have teacher brain and can't abide people taking advantage of or hitting kids).

GR 36/75, PS still at 29/53, ATY 28/52

QOTW
Mostly bought but I am trying to borrow more from the school community library, especially when it is a new author and I don't know if I will like them or not. Library funding keeps being cut here so if they are not used enough people get fired or they get shut down.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 121 comments This was a rough week at work, and I also had to get some dental work done, which was exhausting. I'm feeling pretty drained and not at all like I want to read. So, I'm taking a break for a day or two. Otherwise, I'll hate every single book I pick up.

I did finish three books earlier in the week. I finished The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs: A New History of a Lost World, which was very interesting. The chapter about birds kind of blew my mind. It's a great dinosaur book for adults.

I also finished two YA books that go together, Tiny Pretty Things (book by two female authors) and Shiny Broken Pieces (book from different POVs). I enjoyed them. They were the light, fluffy reading I needed this week. Also, I trained pretty seriously to be a ballet dancer when I was young, so it was nostalgic in some ways. Not that my friends and I got up to this many shenanigans, but there were things...

I am still reading War and Peace. I'm over halfway through and I'm still enjoying it. I'm also reading Love in the Time of Cholera which is something that I can't believe I've never read before. I think that today I'm going to start something new, but I haven't decided which one.

QOTW: I think I'm about 50-50 on buying v. getting books from the library. I get a lot from the library, but I also tend to splurge anytime I go to the Strand, I get a couple subscriptions, and I buy online.

message 6: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Jones | 5323 comments Mod
Well I spoke too soon about it being Spring! We got a bunch of snow this weekend, all my snowdrops are looking crooked now, and my crocuses are afraid to come up and bloom.

I have way too many book in process right now, I keep jumping around, which means I'm not finishing much. This week I finished 1 book, not for the Challenge, so I am 31/50. (I had been 32/50, but I decided to use a different book for one of the categories.)

A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan - I've been looking forward to reading this book for a while now, it's even on my list of twelve books I must read this year, and it was such a disappointment! It's so blah! It would have been so much more interesting if she had set her dragon story in the real Victorian world, where she would be restricted by the rules, events, and places of real history, but instead she created a made up fantasy world where anything she wants to happen can happen. I won't be continuing this series.

QOTW
I'm definitely a library person! I just checked, and 96% of the books I've read this year have been from the library.

message 7: by Alicja (last edited Apr 04, 2019 06:34PM) (new)

Alicja | 52 comments Hello! Weather in SoCal is perfectly like spring most of the year, so I can't complain.

Finished reading:

The Rosie Effect - nice and fun sequel to The Rosie Project. I enjoyed the first book more, but wanted to read this one, since I have been approved for the ARC of The Rosie Result, the last book in the series. Can't wait to get started on it this week.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - loved continuing Harry's adventures. Reading the series for the first time and am finding them magical.

Where the Forest Meets the Stars - talk about a magical book! A girl ends up on Jo's porch and says she was sent from the stars to witness five miracles. When she witnesses them, she will go back to her universe. What follows is a beautiful story of love and humanity. (I'll be using it for a prompt about the astronomical word in the title... I think that one is ATY.)

Listened to The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well, which was informative but a bit dry. Maybe some of it was lost in translation and To All the Boys I've Loved Before, which was a cute light read.

Currently reading:

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

Less - wanted to see what this Pulitzer winning book is all about.

Will be starting on The Rosie Result as soon as I finish Less.

QOTW:

I buy a new hardcover, usually each month, through The Book of the Month club. I sporadically buy used books at the library sale or online. I sporadically buy Amazon deal books. 75% of my reading is though the library, physical, ebooks and audio.

message 8: by Dani (new)

Dani Weyand | 289 comments Good morning from a beautiful April morning in Columbus! I didn’t get a ton of reading done, I’m in a bit of a rut and nothing has been holding my interest. Also, my son’s dad got me that fire tv thing and I signed me into all the steaming services so I’ve been catching up on American Gods. Oh, and lots of time at the park with the kids.

The Bees for book riot’s animal perspective prompt. I remember everyone talking about this book a year or so ago, I’m glad I got to it because that was an interesting and unique read. Who knew a book about a hive of bees could be so melancholy and sinister? I ate a lot of honey toast while reading this, it felt fitting.

Love in the Time of Cholera this was for popsugar’s book with love in the title prompt. And what a weird book this was. Interesting, I’m glad I read it but I don’t even know how I feel about it. I didn’t particularly like any of the characters so I was pretty indifferent toward their stories and relationships. At least it was readable and likable enough to make it through without struggling.

I’m at 19/40 and 1/10 for popsugar, 4/24 for book riot, 1/12 for back to the classics, and 7/37 for the marisha pessl challenge. 49 books read this year.

message 9: by Alicja (new)

Alicja | 52 comments Sara wrote: "Week 14: 3/29 – 4/4

Hello and happy April to everyone! Temperatures are warming up here and the evenings have been so pleasant for walking the dog. I wish spring and fall weather could last most o..."

I've been hearing a lot about Bad Blood. Adding it to my TBR. Also adding those bookshop mysteries cause I love mysteries and bookshop books.

message 10: by Alicja (new)

Alicja | 52 comments Ellie wrote: "The weather is dreadful right now and I forgot to bring lunch so I'm currently debating whether to run for it or wait to see if it gets better. But I'm hungry!

I'm definitely getting to the point..."

I'm doing the OWLS this month. I am going for the healer. How about you? I haven't heard of the Dewey, but I will def check it out.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (annefullercoxnet) | 200 comments Good morning fellow readers!

I have had a busy reading week- reading mostly for my youth committee. So if you read children's books...
I read:
The House in Poplar Wood- this was an interesting book about twin boys that had completely different lives because their parents were apprenticed to two different Shades (Memory and Death). They didn't get to see the other parent and had to work toward their own apprenticeships. I thought it was worth the time to read.
New Kid- a graphic novel about not only being the new kid in middle school, but also being the new kid in a school with very little diversity. Honestly, I don't read graphic novels well. I find I start reading and forget to look at the illustrations, which are hugely important in a graphic novel- so I have to go back in case I missed something.
Pay Attention, Carter Jones- at first I thought this would be a light read, then the dad made a choice that was hard on the family. I like Schmidt's other work better, but this one is not bad.
Speechless- This book was about a boy that had to give the eulogy at his cousin's funeral and the cousin was a jerk. So, a lot of it is flashbacks to stories of the cousin while the boy is agonizing over what to say. It sounds boring, but it was actually pretty good.
For adults I read:
Murder on Waverly Place- another Gaslight Mystery. I am enjoying these.
Crimson Lake- someone mentioned this on the thread last week and I was intrigued- so I read it. I liked it a lot and have the next one on hold at the library.
I also read several picture books, none of which stood out.

QOTW:
My library card smokes I use it so much. I am at the library every other day picking up holds. I like to buy books, but just read too much to be able to afford it. I love my library.

Happy Reading!

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne Happy Thursday! Great week for completion, but some of them were short.

22/50
Completed:

4.) Joseph Kanon’s Defectors should totally be a movie. A publisher heads to the heart of 1960s Moscow to work on a tell all book from an American defector. The defector expresses interest in defecting BACK to the US with his wife and the publisher is dragged into a tale of intrigue.

7.) I took it easy for my reread and picked up Carolyn Keene’s The Clue in the Crossword Cipher for a remembrance of Nancy Drew. What fun that was!

44.) My seasonal read was for Lent. For those unfamiliar with Lent, it’s a forty day period of fasting, penance, almsgiving, and prayer that run from Ash Wednesday to Easter. While I personally like to add in ‘church’ reading during this time, I picked a cozy mystery called Alibis & Angels by Olivia Matthews. We followed an African American Catholic sister as she solved the murder of a small town’s Chief of Finance and Budget while hearing as background chatter basics about fasting and meatless Fridays.

For fun, Tami Hoag’s Dark Horse. It’s the first in her Elena Estes series and takes place in the horse show jumping world. Guess I should go get those steeplechase tickets after all!

In Progress:

38) Based on a true story, I’m reading Lady Colin Campbell’s Empress Bianca, that resulted in a slander lawsuit from a Lily Safra’s team of attorneys. Well, the book infers she killed at least one husband and has another murder under her belt. All the unsold copies of the book were burned, but I found a used copy online. I don’t want to be on this woman’s radar! I also don’t think it’s that well written.

31.) My family read is Orhan's Inheritance by Aline Ohanesian which takes place in Turkey, Armenia, and California. A grandfather bequests his estate to his grandson, breaking protocol of giving it to his son, and more shockingly gives his house to a woman no one has ever heard of! This does cover the Armenian Genocide, so it is about to get tough.

Just started The House on Mango Street by Sandra Chesneros. Disappointed that this is a young adult. I didn't know that when I selected it. It's super short, though.

QOTW Where do my books come from?
I am a library junkie. Most of the time this is a piece of cake with interlibrary loan, but right now, I’m eagerly anticipating The Witch Elm and am still on hold for it. I’m at the library so frequently, all the librarians know me by name! I was a featured speaker at the Fall Festival for the Friends of the Library and they are having me speak at their May meeting as well. Any book I do buy either has to be adored and fit on my current shelving or is donated to the library.

message 13: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 668 comments I finished Wuthering Heights as my book seen on TV (Friends). I love this book, while hating most of the characters, so I can understand others' hatred for it.

I am now reading Gold Fame Citrus as my cli-fi. I feel like it's a good book but I hate it. Because it's cli-fi. It's just too scary for me.

QOTW: I get a lot of books from the library. I also pick free books off of people's lawns, and tag sales. There's a used book store in town. And my mom gives me books for Christmas. I don't very often buy new unless I really really really need to read something right now. I think the last new book I bought was A Dance with Dragons. Not when it first came out, though. Actually, I just remembered, the Mystery book store was going out of business, so I bought a couple of books there. I would like to buy tons of new books to support the authors, but I just don't have the money.

message 14: by Heather (new)

Heather (heatherbowman) | 689 comments Happy Thursday! I'm excited about Dewey's Readathon on Saturday. I already have my books picked out. I'm just trying to decide in what order to read them.

Finished
Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie (a book about a family). Even though I knew the story from watching the movie, the book is still wonderful and exciting.

The Lost World by Michael Crichton (a book with unusual chapter headings). Personally, I think Crichton wrote this book just to correct some of his flawed theories in Jurassic Park. He spent a lot of time mocking his characters who came up with these theories! But I enjoyed this book a lot. It was my road trip audiobook and definitely made a boring drive better.

Reading
Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World by Tony Horwitz

Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth

QOTW
I would say it's about 50/50. I always check the library first. If they have it, I check it out there. If not, I might try interlibrary loan if it's an older book. But for new releases that the library doesn't have, I buy it. My library doesn't take purchase requests and it's almost impossible to get a new release through ILL. There are some books, especially series, that I know I want to own. I try to find those at used bookstores or library book sales, but I will buy them new from Barnes & Noble if I've been looking for awhile and haven't found a decent copy.

message 15: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1072 comments Alicja wrote: "I'm doing the OWLS this month. I am going for the healer. How about you? I haven't heard of the Dewey, but I will def check it out..."

I joined up last minute so I still haven't decided. I'm aiming to try and get as many O.W.L.s as possible, but I'm thinking healer or magizoologist.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 109 comments Hi! I’m at 39/56 for the Popsugar challenge. This week I finished:

Strange the Dreamer for the prompt: prompt from a previous year- 2015- book you chose purely based on its cover. I absolutely loved this book. My first 5 star fiction book of the year. I am so glad I read it! The character development and world building was just exceptional!

The Neon Ornaments for an ATY prompt. I didn’t realize it when I chose it but it is either a novella or a short story. Im not sure where the line is between them. It was a quick, enjoyable cozy mystery.

Scrappy Little Nobody I picked this for a Read harder prompt. I was also able to find a 2016 popsugar prompt to stick it in (I’m going to see how far I can get on old popsugar challenges without any pressure to actually complete them).

How to Read Literature Like a Professor for a nonfiction challenge. I’m also looking for a previous popsugar prompt to fit this in. I really enjoyed this. He must be a great professor!

I am currently reading:

The Witch Elm for the April challenge. I was regretting deciding to read this until I got about 200 pages in. Now I’m hooked and want to see where we go.

Notorious RBG: The Life and Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. I’ll start this on my commute home today as my driving audiobook. For the prompt a book written by 2 women.

QOTW- before January all of my books were purchased ebooks and I did a huge amount of re-reading. I started this challenge in january and because I am reading so many more books that are new to me I am checking with the library and with scribd before I buy anything. I still have to buy some and some I want to own (like the sequel to Strange the Dreamer so I’m buying them.

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Alicja wrote: "I've been hearing a lot about Bad Blood. Adding it to my TBR. Also adding those bookshop mysteries cause I love mysteries and bookshop books."

I did the same thing with Bad Blood! People kept telling me how good it is. I'm not sure I would have picked it up on my own.

And if you like the Secret, Book and Scone Society books Ellery Adams has several other series as well! I haven't dug into her back list yet, but I plan to!

message 18: by El (new)

El | 170 comments 26/50

Finished:
Release by Patrick Ness for an own voices book.

The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie for a book author from Asia, Africa, or South America.

Currently reading:
Dumb Witness - Will finish today.

QOTW:
I get most of my books from the library.

message 19: by Nadine (new)

Katy wrote: "QOTW: I get a lot of books from the library. I also pick free books off of people's lawns, and tag sales. There's a used book store in town. And my mom gives me books for Christmas. I don't very often buy new unless I re ..."

I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns??

message 20: by Kenya (new)

Kenya Starflight | 609 comments Boy howdy, this has been a rough week. Mostly work troubles, which sucks because I used to really love my job. Hopefully things get better here soon…

Books read this week:

Death and the Penguin – for “favorite prompt from the 2015 challenge” (book originally published in another language). I was expecting something a little more quirky, judging by the title and the plot synopsis… this was curiously bland, and only really got interesting in the last third of the book or so.

The Luckless – for “LitRPG.” I’m starting to think I’m not really fond of this genre – while the story and humor were fun, reading about characters endlessly describing game mechanics gets tiresome after awhile. And this book makes the cardinal mistake of (view spoiler) Ugh.

A Bear Named Trouble – not for the challenge (though could work for “book based on a true story”). Short but thoughtful YA read about a boy’s encounter with a wounded bear in Alaska.

Regular Challenge – 39/43
Advanced Challenge – 7/10
Non-challenge books – 15

Currently Reading:

Kindred – for “own voices book”
War with the Newts – for “favorite prompt from the 2017 challenge” (book mentioned in another book)

QOTW:

Seeing as I work at a library, I get most of my books from there -- either from my own library or through our inter-library loan system.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 446 comments Hi all! Happy spring? It will be happier when the pollen calms down, but the sunshine and warmth is nice!

This week I made little progress.

DNF
Winter Tide - it's not bad, I just couldn't get interested in it. I'll probably give it another try later.

In Progress
The Greatest Love Story Ever Told - still charming and funny.

Bannerless - discovered it through the podcast Our Opinions Are Correct, and I really like it so far. It's set after a climate apocalypse, but far enough out that society has rebuilt. The central conflict isn't survival during the collapse, but a murder mystery set against the new culture that has been established. Very intriguing, and it's free on Kindle Unlimited!

QOTW
Speaking of Kindle Unlimited, it's a great resource. I find myself reading on my Kindle most of the time. And finding the books I want available from my library in digital format can be challenging. So I do wind up buying a lot of books.

But this question has made me consider how to incorporate physical books into my routine more - both because the library has a lot more variety in that format, and because I've piled up a lot of physical books at home that are going unread.

I think I'll bring a book to work in my briefcase and read that at lunch.

And I think I'm going to pull the trigger on creating a Reading Nest(tm) in my house, with a comfy chair, natural light, a small table for my tea, and a pile of books to choose from.

(I actually did this once, then my teenager took it over and I didn't have the heart to kick her out!)

message 22: by Hope (new)

Hope Happy Thursday, all! I read 4 books this week, 1 for the challenge, which brings me to 36/50.

Finished Reading:
The Strange Case of Origami Yoda- This was ok- I think 6th graders will enjoy it more than I did, though!

Howards End- I quite enjoyed this classic far more than I expected to.

Guards! Guards!- (A book with no chapters/unusual chapter headings/unconventionally numbered chapters) Like the last Pratchett book I read, this was tons of fun though the climax did lose me just a bit.

The Bloomsday Dead- Not as good as the first two but a nice ending to this thriller trilogy.

Currently reading:
William Shakespeare's Star Wars: Verily, A New Hope
The Demolished Man
The Last Life of Prince Alastor
Only Uni

QOTW:
Library, definitely! Ever since I was a teenager, I'd bring books home by the armload. And now with the digital library, I don't even need to leave my house for some books! I'll occasionally buy daily deals for my kindle, but then they'll languish forever while I borrow yet another shiny book from the library instead.

message 23: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 668 comments Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns?? ..."

Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them anymore, you put them in a box, write the word free on it and stick it outside. I think my town has a lot of readers. We're down to 2, but at one time we had 6 book stores in this town with about 12,000 pop. 2 new, 2 used, 1 mystery, and 1 coffee shop with a little book store. Now we're down to 1 used and 1 new. Which is probably enough except that I'm not overly fond of the new book store, for reasons which I will left unsaid lest I open myself up to judgment by internet strangers:)

message 24: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 409 comments Hello from still very cold Montréal,

We are very much into the last hockey games so I didn't read a lot. If the Canadiens are not participating in the playoffs, my reading time will increase.

Finished:
Eligible for a retold classic. Ugh, I didn't like that one. I don't know what was the intention of the author.

Le Photographe - Tome 1 for no prompt. A mix of pictures and drawing from a war photograph.

Anya's Ghost just for fun also.

Currently reading:

Insurgent as recommanded by my son.

QOTW: I think I borrow 90% of my books from the library.

message 25: by Ellie (new)

Ellie (patchworkbunny) | 1072 comments Katy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns?? ..."

Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them anymore, you..."

When I lived near the beach I would put a box of books out on sunny days for people to take, but I really don't get much foot traffic where I am now. It's a shame, because it's a really easy way to get rid of books!

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 129 comments Hello everyone! It’s finally a little spring like around here, so spent the week dealing with yard week which lead to a little sneezing ... I’m at 22/50.
This week I finished:
Queenie - my debut book. Liked this a lot, but it isn’t the light and fluffy chick lit I thought it would be, although that was a good thing. Recommend!
Possession - book set in a college or university. This sat on my shelf for a long time, so was glad to move it off but it was a bit of a disappointment. I though it was pretentious, but I enjoyed a far amount of it.
QOTW: I try not to buy too many books, but I usually fail. This week was our community charity book sale, and I way overbought! I also use the library, especially for book club reads I’m not sure I want hanging around the house.

message 27: by Nadine (new)

Katy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns?? ..."

Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them anymore, you..."

This sounds amazing!! Like living in Paradise!! I imagine you must have a unique combination of: lots of foot traffic, excellent weather, and neighbors who like to read. Maybe a small college town?

Where I live, we have no sidewalks (I hate this, my kids can't even walk to school, it's not safe for them to walk on the main roads, and much too far), and we get so much precipitation it's just not possible to leave a box of books outside.

message 28: by Hannah (last edited Apr 04, 2019 07:03AM) (new)

Hannah Smith | 35 comments PopSugar Challenge-22/40
Goodreads Challenge- 27/60

Finished this Week:
The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic State A book author from Asia, Africa, or South America Man this one was a tough one to read just purely on the content. It was sad and horrifying. It is incredible what people can do to one another.

Everyone Brave is Forgiven Author with both names starting with the same letter I have been listening to this over the last few weeks. Parts of it caught my interest but it isn't one that I cannot put down. I enjoyed bits and pieces of it but I don't see myself reading it again.

Currently Reading:
Sun Warrior A book told from multiple POVs This is the second in the series and already I am liking it better than the first. I think that might be that I am not having to wade through understanding a new world and new cultures. The characters and world has already been developed and I just get to see where they go from here. Almost through it so maybe I will be done with it by the weekend.

Jane Eyre A book with at least one million ratings on Goodreads I have just started listening to this as an audiobook and I am not crazy about the narrator and have a second version on hold for me when it comes available. Otherwise, this book at the present has been nothing but complaining. I hope that not too much farther in it gets better because I kinda just want to put it down.

Circe A retelling of a classic I plan on starting this ebook in the next few days. So no opinion as of yet.

QOTW
I used to be a purchaser with a few library books. Since moving back to a large city with a huge library collection 98% of my books have been from the library. Otherwise I might have bought them or my twin has.

message 29: by Katy (new)

Katy M | 668 comments Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns?? ..."

Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them..."

I do get quite a bit of foot traffic, as I live one street off of Main Street. I try to do it on parade day. I live in New England, so I only do it in the summer. But, even so, not that many people take my books. I had a boyfriend once tell me I read weird books.

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen | 161 comments Hello all,

My week of reading hqs been slow. Partly that was because for both books I read, I took copious notes. I haven't found a home for either in the reading challenge.

Shrill: Notes from a Loud Woman by Lindy West. This boom was a personal read for me. I've been fat my whole life and Lindy really has fighting words for haters. She expressed my feelkngs in ways I coukd never find words for before.

How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster I'd seen this mentioned by someone else here and found it in the $5 Audible sale. I enjoyed the book and took lots of notes which slows the reading down. My memory isn't the best so I'd have to pause while I took notes. Enjoyed it. It was like taking a fun class.

Cureently rading:
Love and Other Consolation Prizes by Jamie Ford. I rally loved his first book and looked forward to this one. I really enjoy the story in the past and have mixed feelings about the one in the present. I have a quick question. Jamie Ford's father was chinese-american. Woukd he be considered an author of color?

I'll be paticipating in the readathon this Saturday for the first time. Looming forward to that.

QOTW

I'd say 100% of my reads are owned books. I buy a lot of books on Kindle deals and I tend to buy a new printed book every ,onth sometimes more. I love the Kindle for portability and for being able to buy books i expensively but it gets hard in my eyes. I do buy pri t books fro thrift stores as well and that helps. Beloved authors and beautiful covers are usually print books though.

message 31: by Karen (new)

Karen | 161 comments @Sarah, Does your copy of Heidi have a translator name? I'm still looking for a well translated copy of Heidi.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Not a great reading week, despite the fact that I'm nominally trying to do the pre-readathon challenge (from the Dewey 24 hour readathon) of reading 24 hours this week. I think I'm on the edge of a reading slump and really need to take a break for shows and video games, but I have a huge stack of library books hanging over my head...

Finished Reading:
The Knife of Never Letting Go I can see why people love this book, but it was kind of harsh for me, and even some of the meaningful parts fell a little flat. At least I got the 'being made into a movie in 2019' prompt out of the way.

Overwatch #3: Going Legit Not my favorite of the series, but they're all pretty well written at least.

The 10-Day Belly Slimdown: Lose Your Belly, Heal Your Gut, Enjoy a Lighter, Younger You Once you get past the scammy sounding, obnoxious beginning, this has really good information.

Currently Reading:
Les Misérables Dabbling in the audio book off and on, but might be read to focus on it for a while soonish.

A Praying Life: Connecting with God in a Distracting World Should finish this in just a few more Sunday afternoons of reading.

A Man Called Ove Ugh. I can see the book is well written and telling a worthwhile story, I'm just really not enjoying it. Ove is irritating, and his backstory, while interesting, hits some really painful emotions for me. Turned up the speed on my audio book so I can just power through it. For book set in Scandinavia.

Red Rising At least I'm reading one book that actually has me hooked! My husband's siblings have been strongly recommending this one to us for ages and we're finally getting to it.

Juliet Immortal Started this one because I needed a hard copy book to read in the tub. :-) Like most of Stacey Jay's books it's a bit of slow start, but I'll probably end up loving it after a few chapters, if the rest of her books are any indication. Plus, I like this version of Romeo and Juliet's story much better than the original. I'll probably use this for retelling of a classic.

DNF:
Spelled Maybe I was just in the wrong mood, but I wasn't enjoying the cutesyness or the obnoxious main character in this one.

QOTW:
I am a heavy library user. I do also buy used books or cheap kindle books (mostly free ones, or ones so cheap I can get them free with my Amazon shipping credits) pretty frequently so recently I've been really trying to read more books I already own. So far this year out of 54 books read (including quite a few short stories or comics) library books edge out a win at 28, owned books (mostly kindle freebies, one my husand bought for himself, and a few I've owned for a very long time) come in at 20, then a handful were from Kindle Unlimited or Netgalley.

I do also borrow books from friends and family members on occasion, and very occasionally buy new books, but usually only if I know that I love them so much I will enjoy owning them, and I haven't been able to find them used after looking for a long time.

message 33: by Chandie (new)

Chandie (chandies) | 248 comments Two word title

No Exit by Taylor Adams. Thriller. Woman stranded at rest stop sees something in the back of another person’s van. Could also use for “should be made into a movie”. This was really good and I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Doesn’t tick off prompts

Severance by Ling Ma. Post-Apocalyptic (some kind of virus) novel. I didn’t really enjoy this because I was quite ambivalent about the main character. I didn’t love her but I also didn’t hate her. Just meh.

QOTW:
I end up buying the vast majority of my books. A lot of them end up in my classroom and a lot are given to my niece to read.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: "Nadine wrote: "Katy wrote: I am so curious about this!!! You find free books just lying on neighbor's lawns?? ..."

Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them..."

Nadine, do they do Little Free Libraries in your area? It's basically the same concept except you build or buy a little wooden box to protect the books from weather, and register it on the website so people can look up where to find them. It's meant for swapping books, but sometimes people do just stock them regularly for other to take books out. (One of our local used book stores was doing this with kids books in a lower income neighborhood around here, but had trouble with vandalism.)

message 35: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1508 comments Karen wrote: "@Sarah, Does your copy of Heidi have a translator name? I'm still looking for a well translated copy of Heidi."

No, it doesn't list a translator which I find very weird! I have two different copies at home and neither lists the translator! I wish I could be more help!

message 36: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 809 comments Sara wrote: "Karen wrote: "@Sarah, Does your copy of Heidi have a translator name? I'm still looking for a well translated copy of Heidi."

No, it doesn't list a translator which I find very weird! I have two d..."

I have had this issue with Heidi. For a while I wasn't sure it even was translated because the translator is usually not listed.

message 37: by Drakeryn (new)

Drakeryn | 665 comments Finished reading (16/50):

Taste of Marrow (based on a true story, multi-POV) - Hippo book #2. Not as good as the first, sadly. A quick summary:

0% - 79%: me: "why is this a book tho, the heist is over"
80%: Main villain suddenly appears, reveals nefarious plot
90%: Main villain (view spoiler)
100%: THE END. *everyone rides off into the sunset on hippos*

Currently reading:

The Last One - Weirdly, this book also has a guy called Tracker. If there was a prompt for "read two books with the same character name" I would have it covered.

Jane, Unlimited - I'm not feeling this so far. The main character is a wallflower with no personality; her aunt is insufferably quirky and wise; everyone else is rich and obnoxious. But I'm only like 15% in, so hopefully it picks up.

QotW:
I read like 90% e-books. I'm very much an impulse reader, and I love the convenience of going "hmm, I feel like reading X book" and I've got it on my Kindle app two minutes later.

This is also how I keep my backlog down. I usually only buy a book if I'm going to start reading it immediately, so I don't accumulate bought/unread books.

Katy wrote: "Yes. I do it myself. After you've read books and you don't want them anymore, you put them in a box, write the word free on it and stick it outside."

On my train commute to work I pass a "Little Free Library" which is the same kind of thing. It's pretty neat.

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine McCann | 446 comments Hope wrote: "Guards! Guards!- (A book with no chapters/unusual chapter headings/unconventionally numbered chapters) Like the last Pratchett book I read, this was tons of fun though the climax did lose me just a bit."

If you liked it pretty well, I definitely recommend reading Men at Arms - I felt like it kept all the elements I liked and built on them, so it's an even better book than the first one!

message 39: by Megan (new)

Megan (mghrt06) | 537 comments Finished The Paris Mysteries which was just ok for me.

Started The Murder of an Angel. This will finish out the series for me.

No idea what I'll pick up next!

12/42, 1/10, and 4 non-challenge reads

message 40: by Jai (new)

Jai | 119 comments Hey everyone, I guess I had a pretty successful reading week despite the fact that I've been sick since Sunday from this weather change up here in Northeastern, Ohio. I finished 3 books this week, although none of them fit into any prompts for the challenge.

I'm Still Here: Black Dignity in a World Made for Whiteness I ordered this through Audible and started listening to it and couldn't stop. The first thing the author talked about was her name, Austin, and why her parents chose it for her. That and many other things the author spoke about truly hit home for me.

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite This is the graphic novel that the Netflix series is based on. I didn't have any idea it would be available online through a digital loan library called Hoopla but once I found it I immediately started reading it.
I really really love graphic novels! I love the artwork and the different drawing styles mostly. I enjoyed how Netflix changed a few things from the original story, such as Allison Hargreeves being a POC.

The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 2: Dallas Then of course I had to read the second book and see what other adventures they would have.

Currently Reading: The Night Masquerade for prompt #4 A book you think should be turned into a movie. I really want this whole series to become a movie. I just started listening to this and because of so much going on in my life with work and other projects I haven't really paid much attention to it.

Question of the week:

Where do you get most of your books from? Do you buy, borrow from the library or from friends?
Most of my books come from purchases that I've made either on Amazon, in a used book store, on Audible or my library's book sale. I use my Library occasionally but because I generally forget to take my books back or if I can't wait I'll buy the book.

message 41: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte Weber | 263 comments I have missed quite a few check-ins. Life keeps getting in the way and getting me down. Luckily, I'm doing great in the reading challenge if not much else.

I finished Always and Forever, Lara Jean which I thought was cute. I liked this one best out of the trilogy. But am I the only one who is not a Peter fan?

Just this morning I finished One Day in December. I was incredibly underwhelmed by this one. I didn't like most of the characters and I felt like the author was trying to tell me how close everyone was without actually showing it. Maybe I'm just too cynical right now to really enjoy love stories as my divorce is well underway now.

QOTW: I used to get most of my books through Kindle deals but now that my Kindle is dying a slow death, I don't buy them as much. Now I get the majority of my books through the library or various library apps. And most of the books I own are gifts from others.

message 42: by Melanie (new)

Melanie McKay (mgmcgee) | 41 comments I haven't finished any books this week, but I have 3 in progress.
Mary Poppins for the book that makes me nostalgic. I'm about halfway through it and cannot for the life of me figure out why I was obsessed with Mary Poppins as a kid!
Zoo Nebraska: The Dismantling of an American Dream for published in 2019. This is (I believe) nonfiction about a town in Nebraska that must have died out when its zoo was forced to close. I like it so far, but it's a bit dry. I think I'm close to halfway through it.
The Sun Is Also a Star for multiple POVs. I haven't gotten very far into it and haven't decided if I'm going to complete it or not.

I've finished 20/40 for the main challenge.

QOTW: Where do you get most of your books from? Do you buy, borrow from the library or from friends?
I borrow from the school library where I teach, check out on Kindle Unlimited, and I also buy a few each year.....usually at the Dollar Tree so I'm not spending a lot of money on books.

message 43: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 159 comments Hey All,

It's a bit of a gloomy morning here in northern Indiana. It's perfect weather for sitting at home and reading a book but unfortunately, I have to work today.

Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You for a book written by a musician (fiction or nonfiction). This really was just lovely. It's so sweet and Lin is so sweet, it's like a giant hug in book form.

The Library Book for a book about a hobby. This might be a stretch but I go to the library so often, I'm counting that as a hobby. I listen to this on audio and really enjoyed the author reading it and the story was just so fascinating. I highly recommend it.

QOTW:

I get my books in two different ways, for the most part. I get books monthly through Book of the Month. Sometimes it's just one but I have gotten up to three a month in the passed. I also go to the library frequently (and also check out ebooks/audio books through the library via Overdrive). I sometimes to a used bookstore in the town I work in and there is the sporadic trip to the mall where I always end up in Barnes & Noble buying a book.

message 44: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 182 comments Hey everyone!

The hubs and I were on vacation last week so I didn't check in. I had only read one book during that time anyways so felt I might as well just recap that one today! I finished off 6 books in total and I finally feel like I've really pulled out of my reading slump.

The book in question is A Duke by Default which it turns out is the second book in the Reluctant Royals series. I hadn't read the first book at this point and was 40 pages in but luckily Nadine came to my rescue to let me know that I wasn't really losing out too much by reading out of order. Thanks again Nadine! It was a cute enough book that I snagged book #1 for my trip, which I'll mention later.

Next was Five Feet Apart which I was going to use for a book becoming a movie in 2019 but when I got to the acknowledgements I realized that the movie came first! The book is actually just a novelization of the screenplay. So in my mind it's not a book that's becoming a movie, it's more that it's a movie that came out in 2019 which is also becoming a book. Also, kind of bummed as I was thinking of seeing this movie and now I doubt there will be any differences between the two formats which is my favorite thing about books that are turned into movies. So thinking I'll just wait till I run across it on one of the streaming platforms.

I eventually made it to A Princess in Theory which is that 1st book in the Reluctant Royals series I was mentioning and it was really cute. I really like the main female characters that Alyssa Cole writes and I adored the group chat that ends up happening in book 2.

Girl Waits with Gun was actually a book I meant to read last year (I've filled that prompt already) but I saw it was available on kindle so I snagged it in case I needed extra reading material. It wasn't until I added it to my GoodReads update that I realized it's based on a real story. I was just going to read it for the heck of it but I'll gladly mark off that prompt since I can!

Welcome to Temptation was next and it was fun but I did have some issues with it. Namely in a particular sexy moment there is an instance where the main female character is uncomfortable and actually says no and the main male character keeps going anyways. He had suspected she had a particular fantasy and was trying to create it to uh get her to climax and it did end up working and they both seemed cool with it but it was one of those moments where it didn't feel right. There was definitely consensual ways that he could have achieved the same thing which still would have made for a sexy scene.

And last I read Emergency Contact which I grabbed purely because I love the cover. I liked this one so much more than I thought I would. Reviews of it are pretty love or hate as the main characters can come off as unlikeable to some people but I'm kind of bored with reading book after book of these really great people who find love. Sometimes I want my characters to have flaws and these two seemed normal to me. Perfectly fine people who maybe don't come off as great all the time but totally have the potential to become better people over time.

QOTW: I get nearly all of my books from the library. I'm one of those people where the book section of the The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing really did work for me. I really thought about my books and realized I rarely re-read books and all of the books i had on my shelves I had either already read or was never going to. So I got rid of most of them. I now only own a small curated collection of my very favorite books. Well that and a handful of really cheap bargain buy kindle books.

message 45: by Josie (new)

Josie Lacey | 76 comments Hi everyone! It's been a few weeks since I last checked in because work has been crazy and I fell into a bit of a reading slump for a while. Things are settling down again now, so hopefully I'll catch up on lots of reading this month.

Since my last check-in I've completed:

Monsters of Men This was a great end to the trilogy! I gave it 5 stars. Not sure which prompt I'll use it for yet.

The Mermaid I used this for a book inspired by folklore. This was not what I expected and nothing like Christina Henry's other books, but it grew on me and I ended up giving it 3.5 stars.

We Should All Be Feminists I read this for a book with an author from Africa. This was a short, accessible look at what it means to be a feminist. I gave it 4 stars.

Where'd You Go, Bernadette I read this for the March monthly read of a book with a question in the title. This took me a while to get into and again it was a book that grew on me as more was revealed about the different characters. I gave it 3.5 stars, but I think I would enjoy it more if I re-read it at some point.

Currently reading:
Hag-Seed It's about time I read something by Margaret Attwood so I decided to read this for a retelling of a classic. I'm not very far in yet, but enjoying it so far.

11/50

QOTW:
I buy a lot of books new, but I also buy a lot of used books and receive quite a few books as gifts. I hardly ever use my library anymore, but I'm hoping to use my library more in the future.

message 46: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 714 comments Hi Everyone!

We had a bit of snow over the weekend too, but it's back to being springy now.

This week I finished:

On Both Banks - Finished this up, it was really interesting! kind of a weird style, it jumped around a lot. But eventually it formed a whole. Counted this for Read Harder's book published before January 2019 with less than 100 reviews.

The Beekeeper's Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America - This is my Read Harder business book. It's about the beekeeping industry and it's relationship to the agricultural industry. I really love honey, and appreciate bees for what they do. It was an interesting read, if a bit dry.

Man-Eaters, Vol. 1 - Caught up on some comics, I'm kinda loving this one. The plot's taking a bit to get going, but i like the premise and I die laughing over all the faux ads they throw into it. Also when i went to a comic book store, they had man eater promotional tampons which I thought was fantastic.

Hacktivist - trying to get some stuff cleared off my ipad, this was just ok for me. It's an interesting premise but the writing and the art were just alright. Nothing terribly inspiring.

Immortal Ever After - was just re-reading this to break up the beekeeping book. Without a strong narrative I get bored and need to break it up.

Currently reading:

I started The Girl in the Tower, but realized I was kind of clueless as to what was going on. I'd read The Bear and the Nightingale early last year, but I read Spinning Silver in my head and they were getting too conflated in my brain. So I started Bear and the Nightingale over, and I'm going to get through that real quick before picking the other back up. Hopefully I can find the third one quicker so I can keep the momentum going. Girl in the Tower will be my ATY goodreads choice award probably, and Reading Women book in a series.

QOTW:

I do mostly library digital books, or ones I get on sale through kindle for $5 or less, or free. The beekeeping book is actually part of the prime reading that prime members get free through Amazon (different than kindle unlimited). If there's something really specific I want to read and I can't get it library, or cheap, I'll do the interlibrary loan for a physical copy. I only really buy physical books when I go to Powell's in Portland, or graphic novels that I get at comic store. Then it's usually authors I really love or particular books I loved that I want a physical copy of.

message 47: by Chrissi (new)

Chrissi (clewand84) | 210 comments Spring is trying here. Really. One day it's nice, the next day it's rainy and gross. April showers and all that.

I finished three books this week.

Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk was a good read. She has an interesting back history and is based on a real person - for prompt #24 - a book that takes place in a single day. It's Lillian taking a walk through NYC on NYE 1984, meeting people that night and recounting her life story. So, it's back and forth.

The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories for prompt #12 - a book inspired by myth/legend/folklore. I thought the updated stories were okay, but I can't say I ripped through them.

Just finished To Night Owl from Dogfish for prompt #21 - a book by two female authors. I got tired of waiting for a copy of The Wife Between Us at the library, and when this one came out in February, I was excited to see a fun Middle Grades book like this. Generally really good and quite a quick read.

Still working through A Little Life, and I'm 70% (about page 515/720) done. It is a long book and eternally depressing and sad. Moments of hope are slashed by the next few pages. I am taking this book in little doses with side-reading of something more uplifting.

QotW

Since I'm home in the States, I am making darn good use of my local library, which is a great library system. I have quite the pile of To-Reads waiting for me. Otherwise, I'm a sucker for buying books when I travel, but with several countries I have lived in, English-language books are cost prohibitive (sometimes as high as $20-35 USD for a paperback). I do my best to find second hand bookstores or go to charity shops for books before I buy it brand new. Kindle deals and Chirp (an Audiobook deal site from Bookbub) help keep the costs lower.

message 48: by Julie (last edited Apr 04, 2019 11:15AM) (new)

Julie | 172 comments Hi everyone!

I made better progress this week, making up for the last couple weeks. I'm still playing tons of video games though, while also taking on a complete spring cleaning / overhaul of the house (which is also getting some renovations in some areas, which we're doing ourselves). Since it's actually getting nice out, and I don't want to miss the nice weather we have in between this year's "kinda cold, grey, and damp" winter (unusual for our winters) and the 110+ scorching hot summer weather, I should probably take advantage and start taking my books outside to read!

I'm sitting at 24/50 for the Popsugar challenge so far.

Finished:

The Perks of Being a Wallflower I read this for the nostalgia prompt. It's been on my TBR since it came out when I was a teenager (no joke) so I decided to finally read it. I really didn't like it, I found it incredibly boring, but since it was so short I pushed through and finished it. There were some references here and there that reminded me of my own teenage years in the 90's, so I feel it fit the prompt well enough (but just barely). But otherwise, I kind of wish I'd read something else. I don't know if it's a bad book necessarily; I suspect I might just be too old for it now. As a teenager maybe I would've liked it more.

Saga, Vol. 9 I love this entire series, and this one didn't disappoint. I read this for a book that I meant to read in 2018, because I'm usually chomping at the bit to read them as soon as they come out. I tried reading the individual comics for awhile, but lost track. I like reading them in the larger volumes.

Caraval. I was bored with the first 25% or so, then it picked up and I found myself sucked in. I really enjoyed it and finished it within about 24 hours. Solid four star read for me.

I know we've talked about a trend among people with Night Circus vs. Caraval - people who like Night Circus tend to dislike Caraval, and vice versa, and as someone who absolutely loved The Night Circus, I can finally weigh in! I loved The Night Circus to the point where I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could, I bought a hard cover copy, placed it on my list of "all time favorites" (only a handful of books get that honor) and will probably read it again and again.

I didn't dislike Caraval though; I found it a fun, fast-paced read (except for the beginning, which almost made me DNF). However, I certainly didn't find it as good as The Night Circus. While Night Circus to me was a glorious languish in a slow moving plot (which for me was a good thing) and beautiful prose with descriptions that made everything come alive in my mind, Caraval was more of a suspense/mystery/page turner. The author of Caraval, in my opinion, takes a stab at using similar prose to Night Circus, but that falls a bit flat and felt forced; the descriptions just didn't flow the same way (in my opinion). But still, Caraval was fun and entertaining to read, and I think it would make a fantastic Tim Burton-esque film if they capitalized on the creepy. But I probably won't re-read it, it won't be added to my "favorites" list, and it'll probably be forgettable eventually.

Currently reading:

Warcross for LitRPG, which I've just barely started.

QOTW: I'm a librarian, so I get the vast majority of my books from the library. Since I live in a large city, I belong to both our city and county library systems and they have a ton of stuff. Most of the time, I can find what I'm looking for in digital (Kindle) format and don't even have to leave the house to pick up holds, which I like. 100% of the books I've read for the challenge so far this year have been in digital format from the library. On the rare occasion they don't have something, I can almost always get it via Inter-library loan. I do have times I don't always use the library though:

1) The VNSA book sale. This is a huge, once a year book sale held at the fairground. They take donations and prepare for it all year. I've come out with shopping carts full of books for maybe $1 or $2 each (recent releases in good condition, too, very often).

2) Graphic novels. I love collecting and owing these, especially if they're part of a series I really like. And I like supporting our local comic book shop. I own all the Sagas, Paper Girls, Gaiman comics, etc.

3) Once I read something I really like, that I'll likely read over and over again, I like to own it in physical copy, so I will buy new physical copies of books I absolutely love, when the budget allows.

message 49: by Jai (new)

Jai | 119 comments I recently finished the series so I was happy to see it. Wow, I didn't know the author is a musician.

Monkiecat wrote: "Jai wrote: "The Umbrella Academy, Vol. 1: The Apocalypse Suite This is the graphic novel that the Netflix series is based on. ..."

Jealous! We're watching the series now and I really want to read ..."

message 50: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sezziy) | 832 comments Hi everyone. April showers are in full force this week. I'm ready for a bit of sunshine.

This week I finished The Pursuit of Love. One word: dull. The main character was meant to lively and fascinating. I just found her a dreadful bore. If I wasn't scraping the barrel for a book with love in the title I would have DNF'ed.

Currently reading The True Queen. I haven't had much time to read this one but I am really enjoying this one.

Also reading Aquarius. I have only started this one this morning but I quite like it considering I found it by sticking my star sign in the library search engine lol.

QOTW: I looked at my reads for last year and about one third were books I own, the rest are library books. I work right across the road from the library at the moment so I feel like I need to take advantage of it while I'm here.

« previous 1 3 4