Play Book Tag discussion

The Emperor of Shoes
This topic is about The Emperor of Shoes
Archive: Other Books > The Emperor's Shoes by Spencer Wise, 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 8854 comments Cross Posted to Trim the TBR - #12

How did I find this odd title and why did I pick it up? I actually find a to of hidden gems in the library in the recommended by staff section. Also, they have a new fiction section, where you can just browse and pick something up when you come to get your held reserves. This one I noticed twice and it intrigued me. What a wacky premise - and the opening paragraph grabs.

But honestly, it didn't hold my attention at all. It didn't really hang together. I really could never understand what was going on, and except in a few cases, I wasn't moved to share.

Lord knows I don't offer spoilers, but even if i did, I didn't follow enough of a plot to reveal or spoil it. Here's my version of the blurb you might find on the back or the jacket.

Boston Jewish Boy finds himself in Bejing. We don't really know how or why, but his father owns a shoe factory there. He is involved with a young rebel renegade revolutionary named Ivy. He is also handed the company, and learns something about politics, revolution, and economics. He is unwittingly and weirdly caught up in a weird rebellion and revolution politics. His mother turned Orthodox and went absolutely crazy back in the states, which might not actually be contradictory - but this seemed over the top. His best friend is over there too, we don't ever really learn why. He designs a pretty shoe, smells like seaweed, and has a fair amount of sex. The ending is unclear. You might enjoy it or connect with it more than me.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3394 comments "smells like seaweed, and has a fair amount of sex." 🤣

I always love a good 2 star (or below) review.
Thanks for sharing and better luck with your next read.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7871 comments Oh, sorry you got a dud-but love your review!

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 2 stars

Amy | 8854 comments It turns out, many others really went crazing loving this thing. Jeez, am I not on the pulse!