Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > Whether bonus material is enough to make a book be its own listing or combined.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13581 comments If it is a complete story, I believe they should be separated.

I know the Hitchhiker's Guide omnibus editions with extra story are kept separate from the ones without extra story, and also story collections which do not contain the exact same stories are (should not be) combined.

message 2: by Emy (new)

Emy (emypt) | 5022 comments I've seen inconsistencies in how the policy is implemented, and would appreciate some staff input with a definitive (for now?) answer.

Also a clear clarification of where novel+short differs from series-collation+short. Is it the length of the novella vs a short story?

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41718 comments Mod
I would say it depends on the proportions (by page count or word count, whichever is available). Is the additional content 20% or more of the original? I'd go with separate work. 10% or less? I'd call it a bonus and keep them as a single work. Somewhere between 10 and 20%? Depends, and would look for other information.