Play Book Tag discussion

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President
This topic is about Destiny of the Republic
April 2019: History > Destiny of the Republic: a Tale of Madness, Medicine, and the Murder of a President 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 320 comments This is a biography of James Garfield the 20th President of the United States. He was born into poverty, became a scholar, a civil war hero, a Congressman, and the president (nominated against his will). Shortly after becoming president there was an attempt on his life. Although the shooting didn't kill him the barbaric medical care he received did. I knew very little about James Garfield and found this an interesting and very informative read. It told not only about Garfields' life, but the political power struggles, and the medical practices of the time. The book did make me wonder what if... what if Garfield had survived? What if he had had a more progressive Doctor? What if the shooting had take place at a later date? I would recommend this to anyone interested in Garfield and/or this time period.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review! When you read about the old medical practices it is shocking.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5643 comments I loved this .... and while listening to the audio, kept yelling "Wash your hands!"

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7252 comments I just finished this too, I couldn't put it down. Had a lot of the same thoughts.