What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

When She Woke
This topic is about When She Woke
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dystopia, Teen Girl, maybe in a nunnery/institution, Gov't sci-fi type involvement? Read around 2010-2012? [s]

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (last edited Apr 04, 2019 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments When She Woke SOLVED - don't know how to archive.

I have very limited memory of this book. Possible spoilers ahead but it is all I can remember. I read this probably around 2010-2012.

Teen/early 20s girl, possibly in an institution, more like a nunnery or infirmary. There were no nuns in the traditional sense, but motherly type keepers of the place she was held in. Possible secret or government planted pregnancies? Maybe forced abortions? Def dystopia. I remember the girl would help clean at the institution. Taken away from her family? I have a memory of the girl maybe not speaking. Possibly having no name? Or her name is a color? I remember a red hoodie that she wore and escaping through the woods at the end of the book .... or something about the color red. I am not sure if some of these are confused, or false memories. Gov't tattoo/bar code? (It is not Speak or Bar Code Tattoo).

I am PRETTY POSITIVE this is a STAND ALONE and not a series.

I am sorry it is so vague. This is all I have that I can remember!

message 2: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments It sounds kind of like The Handmaid's Tale for teens.

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments It's not the handmaids tale, but I haven't read that so I can't confirm similarities

message 4: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Sounds like EVE by Anna Carey (sorry, on mobile, can’t link)

message 5: by Rosa (new) - added it

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4974 comments Eve for the link.

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments Andria wrote: "Sounds like EVE by Anna Carey (sorry, on mobile, can’t link)"

It's not Eve but the plot does feel close. But I don't remember a wiped out population aspect. Thank you. Man I wish I could remember more details!!

Rainbowheart | 15734 comments The red hoodie is throwing me off, but it sounds like a mishmash of about a million different dystopian books from that time period. Was there definitely something about pregnancy? Could be the Birthmarked series, maybe. Or something in the Wither series. But I'm not sure how many of these had nunneries. Were there nuns? Was it just girls there, no boys?

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The red hoodie is throwing me off, but it sounds like a mishmash of about a million different dystopian books from that time period. Was there definitely something about pregnancy? Could be the [bo..."

Thank you for the reply. It is neither of those. I actually do not think it was a series, but a stand alone. I am pretty positive about the pregnancy, maybe forced abortions? The red hoodie ... Maybe thats a false memory. I feel like there is something about color. Maybe the main character has the name of a color? or no name at all? I just do not remember enough and what I'm clinging to might be getting confused.

Realizing now there are 3048304 dystopian books and I don't remember enough to ever solve this mystery probably. I appreciate your reply though.

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The red hoodie is throwing me off, but it sounds like a mishmash of about a million different dystopian books from that time period. Was there definitely something about pregnancy? Could be the [bo..."

I feel like the pregnancy thing was a definite. I do not remember boys. I do not remember nuns specifically, but motherly type women maybe running the institution or infirmary she was in?

Rainbowheart | 15734 comments Don't give up! There are lots of dystopian books out there, but also lots of people who have read them.

Vulture's Wake has something about forced pregnancy, I think.

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments Wow guys, I figured it out. The color red helped me pinpoint this. When She Woke by Hillary Jordan. (Sorry don't know how to link) I got some things right, I wont specify for spoiler purposes but I really didn't remember the core of this book at all. Memory is a fickle mistress. Thanks for helping me though, you helped me jog my memory more.

Rosa wrote: "Eve for the link."

Katie wrote: "Rainbowheart wrote: "The red hoodie is throwing me off, but it sounds like a mishmash of about a million different dystopian books from that time period. Was there definitely something about pregna..."

Katie wrote: "Andria wrote: "Sounds like EVE by Anna Carey (sorry, on mobile, can’t link)"

It's not Eve but the plot does feel close. But I don't remember a wiped out population aspect. Thank you. Man I wish I ..."

Rainbowheart | 15734 comments Oh, awesome! Glad you identified it.

When She Woke for the link. I've actually read that, but it didn't come to mind at all, probably because I was focused on YA, lol.

Katie (goodreadscomkatietopp) | 7 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Oh, awesome! Glad you identified it.

When She Woke for the link. I've actually read that, but it didn't come to mind at all, probably because I was focused on YA, lol."

Honestly my memory was pretty off so thats why you didn't think of that haha.

message 14: by Andria (new)

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
As I was reading through this thread just now, the fact you kept coming back to the color red made me think of When She Woke and I was going to suggest it -- but I see you got it on your own. Good job and thanks for coming back to let us know!

message 15: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32130 comments Mod
Glad you found your book, Katie. I marked your request as Solved by clicking the small "edit" link after your topic header. This only works on the full desktop website, not the mobile app or mobile version.