Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

The Adventures of Captain Hatteras
Archive Sci-fi/Fantasy Reads > 2019 April - The Adventures of Captain Hatteras

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rosemarie | 11282 comments Mod
Please join us as we read the second book of our Jules Verne series, The Adventures of Captain Hatteras.

message 2: by Gasmask (new) - added it

Gasmask Dandy | 10 comments @Rosemarie - How are the books selected for the Jules Verne series? The mods keep posting books by him I've never even heard of.

message 3: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

He was a famous French writer and many movies have been based on his books.

message 4: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

We are reading them in order of publication for the most part.

message 5: by Gasmask (new) - added it

Gasmask Dandy | 10 comments Ah got it. I've read some of his later works, didn't know we were doing it by publication. Thanks for the heads up! :)

message 6: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

You're welcome! I have his complete works as an ebook and he wrote a lot of books I had never heard of.

Inese Okonova | 75 comments He is indeed a very prolific author :)

I have started Captain Hatteras and as I finally gave up an idea to read in French and chose a copy in my native language I have already advanced further than previously. And I suspect that real struggle for the captain and his crew is just starting.

So far I like it. There is less fun than in Five Weeks but more coherent story. Nevertheless in my opinion both these books are so much behind his later works. Let's see how it develops. Actually I have never paid attention to chronological order of Verne's works. This is really interesting for me to put them in this context.

Inese Okonova | 75 comments 62% into book I must say, Hatteras has a monstrous personality. I can not remember any other positive character by Verne who would be so cruel.

message 9: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I will be starting this one tomorrow.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have just read one chapter. What a mysterious beginning to the voyage! One of the bystanders said that the captain was a dog (the four legged variety). There are enough provisions for six years and all the crew is unmarried. They are heading for a region of ice and snow--but why?

Inese Okonova | 75 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have just read one chapter. What a mysterious beginning to the voyage! One of the bystanders said that the captain was a dog (the four legged variety). There are enough provisions for six years a..."

Beginning is really great. It is amazing that so early in his career Verne's imagination is already so colorful. He is a great master of such tricks. In my favourite Verne's novel "In Search of the Castaways" he introduces one of his most charming characters Jacques Paganel out of thin air. I think these details make him still readable in spite of 19th Ct style narrative and didactics.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

After 3 chapters, the crew is complete, except for the mysterious captain.

message 13: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

The expedition has set sail for the Arctic after receiving a letter delivered by the dog, but still no leader!

Inese Okonova | 75 comments I must say: Verne definitely over-estimates organizational skills of polar bears. But that is rather funny.

message 15: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Their experiences among the icebergs are realistically described. I have read a number of non-fiction books set in the far north, and they did encounter the same difficult conditions.
We finally meet Captain Hatteras, after 12 chapters.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Captain Hatteras is obsessed with reaching the north pole, alienating some of the officers and crew. He is making some imprudent decisions.

Inese Okonova | 75 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Captain Hatteras is obsessed with reaching the north pole, alienating some of the officers and crew. He is making some imprudent decisions."

I think his attitude towards Shandon is the worst possible scenario from the very minute he declares himself present. But it is hard to understand whether Verne himself sees it that way.

message 18: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I get the impression that Verne thinks that Hatteras is brave, instead of foolhardy. I can understand how the crew feels about overwintering with scant fuel. Some of the crew consider him crazy because he is so obsessed.

message 19: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Part 1 ends very dramatically!

message 20: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

My favourite character is the doctor, a multi-talented individual.

message 21: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Inese, that part with the polar bears was pretty fantastic, I agree, but entertaining too.

Inese Okonova | 75 comments Yes, I loved that part. I think such purely imagined and fantastic ideas intertwining with realistic descriptions adds to enjoyment of Verne's works.

I am waiting for You to get to the finish and share Your thoughts about it. I found it surprising and very interesting.

message 23: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I only have four chapters to go. I am glad that the two captains finally became friends. The section I just finished reading has a dreamy quality.

message 24: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I found it surprising and interesting too, Inese.
I live in Canada and have read a few books about the far north. Verne depicted the harsh conditions realistically.
Of course, some of the events, like the last few chapters, were very "Vernian".
And my favourite character, as I said earlier, was the Doctor.

message 25: by Inese (last edited Apr 29, 2019 12:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Inese Okonova | 75 comments The ending made me finally think that Verne does not regard Hatteras as a real hero.

Doctor is very nice. He reminds me my favourite Verne's character - geographer Jacques Paganel from "In Search of Castaways".

message 26: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - rated it 3 stars

Samantha (cajunliterarybelle) | 4666 comments Mod
I’m getting towards halfway finally in this one, because, alas, while the story is very interesting, it is not quite as exciting as Five Weeks in a Balloon.

I thought some, especially maybe those who read this book, might like to read this article I found about the discovery of the wrecks of the HMS Erebus and Terror in 2014 and 2016, respectively. The ships are referenced in parts of Captain Hatteras’s journey, and I was surprised to stumble upon this info.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explor...

message 27: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I remember the excitement in Canada when those wrecks were found.

message 28: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - rated it 3 stars

I might have heard about it back then but don’t remember. I do love how Verne utilized actual events and people in at least some of the Extraordinary Voyages books. Those references add that bit of realism to the outlandish journeys.

message 29: by Samantha, Cajun Literary Belle (new) - rated it 3 stars

I find it very interesting how in Chapter 9 of Part II Dr. Clawbonny insists that the earth’s temperature would not change much, if we lost the sun. How amazed the doctor would be at what we know today!

message 30: by Rosemarie, Moderator III/ from Canada / YA Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Maybe the temperature inside the earth wouldn't change much, but it would be a lot different on the surface!