Play Book Tag discussion

The Couple Next Door
This topic is about The Couple Next Door
Archive: Other Books > The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena / 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meli (last edited Apr 04, 2019 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meli (melihooker) | 3036 comments This short blurb everything readers need to know about The Couple Next Door: “Anne and Marco Conti seem to have it all--a loving relationship, a wonderful home, and their beautiful baby, Cora. But one night when they are at a dinner party next door, a terrible crime is committed. Suspicion immediately focuses on the parents. But the truth is a much more complicated story.”

Don’t be fooled by my 3-star rating, this isn’t a bad book. But it is not a great book either. It is just a run-of-the-mill thriller, a good popcorn read if you are in the mood for a formulaic suspense mystery of the domestic type.

The characters are 2-dimensional, none particularly likeable, and any opportunity to make them more complicated is missed. For example, Anne suffers from postpartum depression which is an often misunderstood condition, but instead of readers getting further insights into that experience it is marred by an unrelated psychosis. So, it becomes a way to explain postpartum depression away as an affliction of crazy people.

This book isn’t trying to enlighten readers or elevate beyond what it is – just a good ole popcorn thriller, and that is OK. I would recommend this to fans of B.A. Paris or thriller fans looking for a quick burn with some twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the end.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3775 comments 100% Agree, I think I also gave this 3 stars. Fun while it lasted, but nothing groundbreaking here.