Book Snails Book Group discussion

The Outsider
This topic is about The Outsider
Book of the Month -- 2019 > Book of the Month / April 2019 / "The Outsider" by Stephen King

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by biblio • bliss, Mod Nerd (new) - added it

biblio • bliss (bookgirl1987) | 1152 comments Mod
With 8 votes (27.6%), we will be reading Stephen King's "The Outsider" for April 2019 Book of the Month. Do you have your copy yet? Here's a little information about the book from Goodreads:

An unspeakable crime. A confounding investigation. At a time when the King brand has never been stronger, he has delivered one of his most unsettling and compulsively readable stories.

An eleven-year-old boy’s violated corpse is found in a town park. Eyewitnesses and fingerprints point unmistakably to one of Flint City’s most popular citizens. He is Terry Maitland, Little League coach, English teacher, husband, and father of two girls. Detective Ralph Anderson, whose son Maitland once coached, orders a quick and very public arrest. Maitland has an alibi, but Anderson and the district attorney soon add DNA evidence to go with the fingerprints and witnesses. Their case seems ironclad.

As the investigation expands and horrifying answers begin to emerge, King’s propulsive story kicks into high gear, generating strong tension and almost unbearable suspense. Terry Maitland seems like a nice guy, but is he wearing another face? When the answer comes, it will shock you as only Stephen King can.

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 447 comments I've heard nothing but good things about this one and can't wait to read it. However, I will have to pass this time because, being that I'm super anal 😁, I need to read the Bill Hodges trilogy first. So fyi... if any of you want to read that trilogy, this book has major spoilers to those three books. Happy reading fellow Snails!

message 3: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

StarMan (thestarman) | 1812 comments Mod
Got an ecopy, will try to start it sometime this month.

Has anyone gotten very far into this book yet?

message 4: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm a good ways into it. So far it's pretty good, as are the characters.

The mystery is intriguiging, since it appears something impossible has taken place. I have an inkling as to what possible bend the story might take, but King sometimes surprises me. I won't say more, since no one wants an early spoiler!

On the slightly negative side, it sure seems longer than necessary, and takes a good while to enter the creepy-ish zone.

message 5: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Apr 16, 2019 02:25AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Finished it (thank you, insomnia).

In my opinion, (view spoiler)

Brief no-spoiler review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 6: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (last edited Apr 11, 2019 12:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Questions for those reading this book:
(feel free to answer 1 or more, or ask your own questions!)

(no BIG spoilers in your answers, please, or hide 'em with the spoiler tags)

1. Did King do a good job with the characters? (are they believable, sympathetic, etc?)

2. What did you like most (and least) in the story?

3. Was the ending satisfactory?

4. Do you think King is becoming a better writer in his later years?

5. Any other thoughts on THE OUTSIDER?

Sherry Started this today. So far he’s set up a good mystery though it’s early days yet ( only 27 pages) I appreciate how he’s set the story up. I was a hundred pages into reading Pet Semetary and wasn’t enjoying it at all. Thought I’d switch to the Outsider as it was the group pick I voted for and I can take a breather after all the bookwork I was mired in for tax season.

I do think he is becoming a better writer. The difference between PS and this are night and day.

On a side note, this is my first time commenting and participating in the group and I’m looking forward to chatting more with you all about good books :)

message 8: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sherry wrote: "Started this today. So far he’s set up a good mystery though it’s early days yet ( only 27 pages) I appreciate how he’s set the story up. I was a hundred pages into reading Pet Semetary and wasn’t ..."

Welcome, and thanks for chiming in, Sherry Snail! Hope you enjoy the King book, and feel free to comment or ask away here.

Speaking of Pet Sematary, has anyone seen the recent movie re-make?

IMDB.com link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0837563/

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 447 comments I have not. I was waiting to see what some friends thought since I knew they'd be going before me, and they were all in agreement for me not to waste my money. They said it was awful. I was surprised, to say the least. Still not sure if I'll go or not.

Sherry So I finished this today and I had mixed feelings about it. Sometimes the book was so good I couldn’t put it down but there were times when I found it too similar to others he had written. I think that there are things he does very well and there are things that he either does not do well or isn’t as engaged with when it comes to writing. I find his characters all have a striking resemblance to others, like if you’ve read one Stephen King novel, you’ve read them all when it comes to characters and the dialogue just isn’t believable or recognizable to how people interact. It’s like he’s trying to show the character by dialogue but by doing so fails.

But to me, he sure can write a vivid scene. And he recognizes that the true horror is when the everyday things that get taken for granted get derailed in a family. There were some powerful scenes written (I may not look at lasagna the same way) and that’s the mark of a good writer, even if his heart didn’t always seem to be in it.

message 11: by StarMan, Co-Mod Space Snail (new) - rated it 3 stars

Thanks for your Snail thoughts on this King book! We'll leave this discussion open for folks still reading it, or for anyone who wishes to comment in the future.