Hype Lit Book Club discussion

8 views
2019 Book Discussions > March 2019: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christina (new)

Christina (missfabularian) | 81 comments Mod
Share your thoughts about our March 2019 Book of the Month: Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng.


message 2: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 5 comments This one wasn't as engaging or engrossing as I'd hoped/expected based on reviews and ratings. For some reasons, I really didn't care for any of the characters or their issues; I found most to be self-absorbed/selfish and the mother was just nosey and overstepped her boundaries. I finished the novel and just thought, "meh." I'm glad I read it - it was highly praised and quite popular and now I feel like I can intelligently comment on it.


message 3: by Christina (new)

Christina (missfabularian) | 81 comments Mod
Mocha Girl wrote: "This one wasn't as engaging or engrossing as I'd hoped/expected based on reviews and ratings. For some reasons, I really didn't care for any of the characters or their issues; I found most to be se..."

We had a few people at Sunday's discussion that felt EXACTLY that way @MochaGirl! I read this book for the second time for Sunday's discussion, and it was better the second time around. On my first read it felt incredibly slow, but the last reading I embraced the slowness and allowed myself to enjoy the pettiness of the characters. Mrs. Richardson was particularly petty, and unfortunately, I know too many dead ringers for Mrs. Richardson.


message 4: by Mocha Girl (new)

Mocha Girl (mochagirl) | 5 comments Whew! At least I was not alone in my assessment. Sorry, I couldn't stay to make the discussion....the time change didn't work for me, so I drove back home to Orlando.


message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina (missfabularian) | 81 comments Mod
Mocha Girl wrote: "Whew! At least I was not alone in my assessment. Sorry, I couldn't stay to make the discussion....the time change didn't work for me, so I drove back home to Orlando."

So sorry we missed you!!!! You definitely weren't alone.... was a slight dragging of the book, to be honest!


message 6: by Maya (new)

Maya B I read this book a year ago. Here is my review


Finally sat down to read this after putting it off for months. I really felt like this story was too wordy. I needed less description and more narrative. Overall the story was interesting enough to get me excited for the mini series that was picked up by reese witherspoon and kerry washington.


message 7: by Christina (new)

Christina (missfabularian) | 81 comments Mod
Maya wrote: "I read this book a year ago. Here is my review


Finally sat down to read this after putting it off for months. I really felt like this story was too wordy. I needed less description and more narra..."


Yes!!! I am so excited to see what they do what this!


back to top