Mount TBR 2019 discussion

Level 2: Mount Blanc (24 books) > Sam's "Taming the TBR", cont'd

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Alanna (new)

Alanna | 60 comments Oooh, how did you like The Master and Margarita? It's on my Will Definitely Read This Year and Get It Off The Mountain, No, Really list.

message 3: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Alanna wrote: "Oooh, how did you like The Master and Margarita? It's on my Will Definitely Read This Year and Get It Off The Mountain, No, Really list."

It's still on my tbr, but I'll leave a short review when I finish it (it's next on my list!).

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 13. Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees

The art of mountaineering encompasses the artistry of knowing when it's over between you and a book. For weeks I tried to read this beautifully written, weird, otherworldly book. I just didn't make sense and soon I found reasons not to continue just yet. Finally I understood: This is a DNF. Maybe some fine day I'll pick up a translated copy (though they are so very rare these days). Until then Lud-in-the-Mist will sit on my "gave up on" shelf. Sorry, Hope!

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 14. Meister und Margarita Roman by Michail Bulgakow

Meister und Margarita: Roman by Michail Bulgakow

Consider my mind blown. I wish my life wasn't as crazy right now, I was barely able to concentrate on this circus of a novel. I'll definitely return to it someday, but for now I move on to the audio adaptation to listen again.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 15. City of Golden Shadow (Otherland, #1) by Tad Williams

City of Golden Shadow by Tad Williams

Curious case: I put this book on hiatus because I'm going through some major life changes atm and cannot concentrate on a Williams epic. Usually this means the book goes back to the tbr. But a colleague of mine was simultaneously looking for a copy, so I gave him mine. As some kind of long-term loan. I expect this back in 2020, he's not a fast reader at all.
So technically, the book is off my tbr for now, but is going to make a return appearance in the future.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 16. Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente

Radiance by Catherynne M. Valente

WTF was this? I have no idea what to say about this book. Fascinating, yes, but -- what the heck?

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 17. Angel with the Sword (Merovingen Nights #0) by C.J. Cherryh

Angel with the Sword by C.J. Cherryh

I was engulfed in the world-building from page one, but soon was a bit irritated by the way the story is told. I didn't really get into the protagonist's head, even though I was positively surprised it was a young independent woman. In the end, the whole plot wasn't that interesting, which is a big letdown, considering my initial excitement.

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Writing in just to say that I have indeed been reading, even books I own. But lately I'm getting very distracted with new acquisitions and book club reads. I'm going to get some more valid reads in before this year ends, but I doubt I can reach the top in 2019!

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 19. Dead Things (Eric Carter #1) by Stephen Blackmoore

Dead Things by Stephen Blackmoore

I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. While it contains all the usual noir elements of an urban fantasy it somehow was toned down enough not to get on my nerves. The magic system was interesting if not revolutionary (but why expect that?), female characters were treated a lot better than in other books of this genre, and yes, it was a fun ride too. I'm looking forward to book 2.

message 12: by Bev (new)

Bev | 702 comments Mod
Getting close to this summit!

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 20 . Broken Souls (Eric Carter, #2) by Stephen Blackmoore

Broken Souls by Stephen Blackmoore

This continues to be thrilling and funny while not making the usual mistakes of its genre. Okay, I wasn't as wowed by the twist since it isn't as twisty as it thinks it is, but I don't care. I'm not a huge crime or thriller reader, so that wasn't what I was looking for anyway. Needless to say, I'm going straight into book 3. It is the latest one I own, so I put the next ones on my wishlist.

message 14: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) Bev wrote: "Getting close to this summit!"

I don't expect to quite make it, but still I'm content to be so far up :)

message 15: by Sam (new)

Sam (buchflimmern) 21. Hungry Ghosts (Eric Carter, #3) by Stephen Blackmoore

Hungry Ghosts by Stephen Blackmoore

Lovely last book for the year. And for once an urban fantasy that gels for me. I'm going to buy myself book 4 and preorder book 5, which comes out in April.