The Bibliophiles discussion

The Poet X
This topic is about The Poet X
Book of the Month > April BOTM: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lml369_07) | 1048 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

Our April BOTM is The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo. A quick synopsis: 'A young girl in Harlem discovers slam poetry as a way to understand her mother’s religion and her own relationship to the world. Debut novel of renowned slam poet Elizabeth Acevedo.' I am very interested in this one and can't wait to see what everyone thinks! Please share your thoughts below!

Happy Reading!

message 2: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 154 comments I very much wish I could join you all!😔

Happy reading!

Astrid Ferguson (astrid_ferg) | 3 comments I really enjoyed this book because it felt like a time capsule that transported me back to my childhood. Showing how strict hispanic moms can be and favoring one sex over the other. Emoni was one of those villains where you love to hate but hate to love. She is not wrong and in someone else eyes she is not right. Reminds me of my own mother. I love how the author married poetry into the story of a young girl becoming a young woman in her own merit. I could go on and on about this book but I don't want to ruin it for others by giving away too many spoilers. I have to say this book was hands down one of my favorites.

message 4: by Dustin (new) - added it

Dustin | 154 comments Astrid wrote: "I really enjoyed this book because it felt like a time capsule that transported me back to my childhood. Showing how strict hispanic moms can be and favoring one sex over the other. Emoni was one o..."

I'm happy to hear it!

Whitney (wbandel) Meant to just start this book tonight, but ended up finishing it all in one read. This was a very touching book. Normally I’m not a fan of poetry, so I liked how the poetry blended into the storytelling. Such a good book, but it sure does make me grateful to not be a teenager anymore.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Poet X (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Elizabeth Acevedo (other topics)