Historical Romance Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Gaol/Nominations > June, 2019 Nominations - Mistaken Identity

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Priya (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:50AM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
For the month of June, 2019, we are reading Historical romances with Mistaken Identity - Hero/heroine thinks the other one as someone else.

Rules of Nominations :
Not more than 2 nominations per member
No book we have read as a group read in the last 2 yrs (Please check the group's bookshelf).

List to help you:
Mistaken/Hidden identity Romance

Nominations end on 15th April, 2019

message 2: by Darbella (new)

Darbella | 328 comments I would like to nominate:

The Secret by Julie Garwood and

Bewitching by Jill Barnett

message 3: by ☘Katie☘ (new)

☘Katie☘ | 36 comments I'd like to nominate:

Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1) by Johanna Lindsey

and

Loving a Lost Lord (Lost Lords #1) by Mary Jo Putney

message 4: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments I second Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1) and nominate Thief of Hearts by Teresa Medeiros.

message 5: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1766 comments I nominate Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose. Chronologically, this is the first in her terrific Spymasters series. Set in French Revolution times in France, it's a really good read. Sexy H, great, fast-moving plot, mistaken identities, adventure. This book opened my eyes to the possibilities of spy-themed HRs, which formerly I had never liked.
The Forbidden Rose (Spymasters, #3) by Joanna Bourne

My second nomination is Lisa Kleypas' lovely book, Love in the Afternoon. It's the final book in the Hathaways series, but I believe could be read as a standalone. Beatrix writes to Christopher who is away at war, pretending to be their friend Prudence, because Prudence has lost interest in writing back to Christopher, and Beatrix feels sorry for him. When Christopher comes home, it becomes clear to him that Prudence did not write those beautiful, emotional letters that meant so much to him. But who did write them????? And how can Beatrix reveal her identity?
Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5) by Lisa Kleypas

Although I've read both of these books, it was only once, and I'd be happy to reread either.

message 6: by ☘Katie☘ (new)

☘Katie☘ | 36 comments Mariana wrote: "I second Man of My Dreams (Sherring Cross, #1) and nominate Thief of Hearts by Teresa Medeiros."

Thief of Hearts sounds like a good one too! :)

message 7: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3737 comments Mod
Jan wrote: "I nominate Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose. Chronologically, this is the first in her terrific Spymasters series. Set in French Revolution times in France, it's a really good read..."

Both would be rereads for me too but I would gladly do it. Two of my favorite books in HR :)

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

I nominate My Lady, My Lord which has a forced identity switch in an unusual way. I guess I have been interested in reading Katharine Ashe lately so hence where I am pulling my nominations from lately. She has some spy themed books that would also work, but this is a fun twist on the trope.

message 9: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I nominate My Lady, My Lord which has a forced identity switch in an unusual way. I guess I have been interested in reading Katharine Ashe lately so hence where I am pulling my nomi..."

Interesting!

message 10: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I nominate My Lady, My Lord which has a forced identity switch in an unusual way. I guess I have been interested in reading Katharine Ashe lately so hence where I am pulling my nomi..."

I want to read that one too.

message 11: by Missy (last edited Apr 04, 2019 11:54PM) (new)

Missy | 847 comments Confessions of an Improper Bride (Donovan Sisters, #1) by Jennifer Haymore Confessions of an Improper Bride by Jennifer Haymore.

After the Abduction (Swanlea Spinsters, #3) by Sabrina Jeffries After the Abduction by Sabrina Jeffries. This is book 3 in the series. It looks like book 1 also has a hidden identity trope if anyone wants to nominate it.

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 231 comments I nominate The Devil To Pay by Liz Carlyle and St. Raven by Jo Beverley.

message 13: by Angie Elle (new)

Angie Elle (angieelle) | 7 comments I nominate A Matter of Temptation by Lorraine Heath. I’m o n my app, so I can’t link.

message 14: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Jan wrote: "I nominate Joanna Bourne's The Forbidden Rose. Chronologically, this is the first in her terrific Spymasters series. Set in French Revolution times in France, it's a really good read..."

Love in the afternoon is one of my absolutely favorites by Kleypas! I so want a re-read now

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1766 comments Tanya wrote: "Love in the afternoon is one of my absolutely favorites by Kleypas! I so want a re-read now."

:D

message 16: by Jultri (new)

Jultri | 393 comments My Lady Thief - Excellent enemies to lovers trope where the heroine hides a secret or two. Beautifully written, with fleshed our protagonists and an equal blend of humour and angst.

I was going to nominate Karen Ranney's "Till Next We Meet" but it's too angsty and heart-heavy and we need something lighter after April's BOTM.

Therefore my second nomination goes to Noble Cause: A Novel of Love and War for something different. Sweeping Civil War saga which revolves around Andrea Evans aka Sinclair, the dare-devil Union scout, and her antagonist, legendary Captain Hunter of the Confederate army who swears to capture this evasive Yankee 'youth' and bring 'him' to justice. Gorgeous writing, intelligent and often humorous dialogue, and spirited characters.

message 17: by Rose (new)

Rose Vane | 9 comments I nominate Christina Dodd's Rules of Engagement in the Governess Brides series. In the book the heroine disguises herself as a dowdy governess in the household of a cynical earl who's adopted an orphan just in order to look respectable. The book is wonderfully humorous, and the secondary characters fit nicely in the picture - especially the earl's wickedly funny grandfather.

message 18: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1766 comments It's great to see all these nominations popping up. Quite a few I haven't read that I'm going to have a look at now.

Midniteillusion (Desiree) (midniteillusion) | 101 comments I'd love to read more Lisa Kleypas and her books Somewhere I'll Find You Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1) by Lisa Kleypas fits.

Beast Beast by Judith Ivory by Judith Ivory has been on my TBR list for awhile too.

message 20: by Jesha (new)

Jesha (thatcrazybooklover) | 4 comments Midniteillusion wrote: "I'd love to read more Lisa Kleypas and her books Somewhere I'll Find You Somewhere I'll Find You (Capital Theatre, #1) by Lisa Kleypas fits.

Beast [bookcover:Beast|113087..."

The Lord Next Door or The Duke in Disguise by Gayle Callen

message 21: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 4 comments I would like to nominate When Passion Rules by Johanna Lindsey
The heroine finds out she's actually a princess and goes to claim her birthright. They believe she's an imposter and treat her as such.

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

June group read vote is up: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

We have 20 nominees this month!

Thanks all!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.