What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Fiction: man settles land in wilderness. Woman travels by, decides to stay. They have kids. "Utility company" wanted access to his property. Son moves to city.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Helen (new)

Helen Wisniewski | 2 comments I once read a book and would like to reread. Fictional story and characters. A man strikes out to settle a piece of land in the wilderness. One day a woman is traveling through, intending to reach a certain destination, however she decides to stay with the man. They have children. I remember something about a 'utility company' wanted access to his property. In the end, his son leaves home to go live in the city and that is the last time they see him.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
When did you read it or when was it published?
Author's gender?
Where and when is it set?
Cover?

message 3: by Helen (new)

Helen Wisniewski | 2 comments I read it about 7 years ago. It's possible it was set in Europe, at the start of the industrial age, but the author never really says. Don't remember the cover or gender of author. I'm sorry I don't have many details. What sticks in my mind was when the son goes off to the city and never returns, because my ex-husband compared that instance to his brother who moved away.

message 4: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Helen ~~
You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 196 from six months ago where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."