What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Historical YA Fiction. Irish potato famine, smell of rotting black potatoes, creepy. Read in 1980's. Green cover?

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Looking for a young adult book I read in the mid to late 1980's. It was young adult fiction, somewhat creepy and at least part of the book was about the Irish potato famine. There were at least two main young adult characters, possibly more. It may have had a green cover. It may have been a part of a series. It was published in English and probably also published in the 80's. I realize this isn't a lot to go on but any help is appreciated!

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1580 comments What made it "creepy"? Was there a paranormal element to the story, or was it just that the description of the famine or other hardships made it disturbing?

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments I distinctly remember the author talking about the smell of the rotting black potatoes.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37540 comments Mod
Elizabeth, please add genre and plot details to your header title, since thousands of group members are looking for YA books. Your thread needs to stand out from all the rest.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
I'm going to add a few details to your header. The header is important because it attracts more eyes for your post. If it is too generic, it is more likely to be skipped over.
You can change the header by clicking on the small (edit) at the end of the header.
Good luck!

You can "bump" your thread every month or so. This pushes your thread back to the top of the folder instead of languishing here on page 182, from six months ago, where fewer eyes will see it. Get back in the game! Bump!
You can do this by typing a new comment at the end of the thread, or even by typing the word "bump."
Good luck!

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Bump. Thank you all for your advice!!

message 8: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32094 comments Mod
Elizabeth, I added some details to the topic header. This will help searchers and moderators. Feel free to update it by clicking the small “edit” link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website – not the Mobile website or app.

Do the main characters leave Ireland (e.g., sail to North America)?

message 9: by Kris (last edited Jun 03, 2020 03:54PM) (new)

Did you rule out Rainbowheart's suggestions in message 4?
A few guesses:

- Mary-Anne's Famine by Colette McCormack? "A story of a young girl during the time of the potato famine in Ireland. Extracts from a recently found diary form the basis of the story."

- The Coldest Winter by Elizabeth Lutzeier?

Search = https://www.worldcat.org/advancedsear... > Keyword: potato famine | Subject: Ireland | 1960-1995 ? | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Thank you for adding more detail. I also added fiction (should have done that before!). I did rule out her suggestions. Not them. :(

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Potato Eaters?

Across the Sea from Galway?

The Haunting of Kildoran Abbey?"

Not them. :( But thank you for trying to help!!

message 12: by Nóinín (last edited Jun 04, 2020 10:25PM) (new)

message 13: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Honeycutt (snlhoneycutt) | 4 comments Might be Nory Ryan’s Song ??

message 14: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1580 comments Sharon wrote: "Might be Nory Ryan’s Song ??"

Nory Ryan's Song was first published in 2000; Elizabeth said she read her book in the 1980s.

message 16: by Nuala (new)

Nuala Livingstone | 2 comments Marita Conlon-McKenna did a Children of the Famine Series of three book. Could it be the first one, ‘Under the Hawthorne Tree’?

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Sharon wrote: "Might be Nory Ryan’s Song ??"

No, but thank you for trying to help. :)

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Ayshe wrote: "Black Harvest?"

Okay, so I looked up Black Harvest. I think that might be it!!! The book I read was from the library and while I found 6 different covers online none of them looked familiar. I was pretty young when I read it. I don't remember many details but I am going to order it online and see if it's the same one! Thank you!!!!

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Petty | 8 comments Nuala wrote: "Marita Conlon-McKenna did a Children of the Famine Series of three book. Could it be the first one, ‘Under the Hawthorne Tree’?"

I don't think so, but thank you!!

message 20: by Kris (new)

Here's the Google Books preview of Black Harvest by Ann Pilling (a.k.a. Ann Cheetham) - Ayshe's suggestion:

https://books.google.com/books?id=XSH... There are different cover images.