Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist's works!) > Have You Been Here?--Georgia O'Keeffe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Early Georgia O'Keefe.

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments You got it, Geoffrey! Nobody else guessed but first answer! Good job!

Now, what’s it called? 😉

message 4: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2696 comments This reminded me of a Jazz record cover of an really good album I used to own (now only digital)
I assume this is O’Keefe too?
And is this New York?

message 5: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 332 comments Certainly looks like O'Keefe. Nice ...

message 6: by Dirk (new)

Dirk Van | 2696 comments The music is nice too, smooth piano and base:

https://youtu.be/3gbhHA_nrEY

Only one thing: it's recorded in a restaurant while people are eating you have to put yourself over the sound of cutlery ;-)

message 7: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Dirk wrote: "This reminded me of a Jazz record cover of an really good album I used to own (now only digital)
And is this New York?

"

Yes, Dirk, that is her piece as well. I am familiar with her city scenes as I like them so much. Great artist. The city stuff I believe she did when she taught at the girl's school but I could be wrong. It was in her 20's

message 8: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments I really like her as an artist but was only familiar with her later works. I’m glad I stumbled on this one, I do like it a lot, too!

message 9: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 360 comments Dirk wrote: "This reminded me of a Jazz record cover of an really good album I used to own (now only digital)
And is this New York?

"

I recently went to an O'Keefe exhibit at the New Britain Museum of American Art, and they had that painting (or some work that is very similar) hanging in the exhibit. The blank red sign on the left said "Stieglitz Photography", and that was the building where Stieglitz had his studio in New York City.

The exhibit had traveled from the Crystal Bridges Museum which was founded with the Walmart fortune. It will be in Connecticut until mid-June.

message 10: by Geoffrey (last edited Apr 05, 2019 10:23AM) (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments O'Keefe and Stieglitz were lovers and then married, I believe. Stieglitz had the first photographic gallery in the USA at the beginning of the 20th century and was a kick ass photographer in his own right. He gave her a show or two and was also instrumental in bringing then contemporary art to the USA from Europe in his gallery. He also published one of the first fine art photography magazines in the USA and showcase Kasebier's work and Steichen's.

message 11: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Connie wrote: "I recently went to an O'Keefe exhibit at the New Britain Museum of American Art, and they had that painting (or some work that is very similar) hanging in the exhibit. The blank red sign on the left said "Stieglitz Photography", and that was the building where Stieglitz had his studio in New York City."

You got the city, Connie...NYC and that's cool to know what the sign read. Thank you for sharing that! It's awesome you got that experience, too!

message 12: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8271 comments Geoffrey wrote: "O'Keefe and Stieglitz were lovers and then married, I believe. Stieglitz had the first photographic gallery in the USA at the beginning of the 20th century and was a kick ass photographer in his ow..."

Interesting tidbit of information, Geoffrey. Thank you for filling us (me) in on some things I didn't know. I like trivia and details like that. :)