Art Lovers discussion

Open for Debate > The Tavola Doria, a genuine painting or a fake?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments

The Tavola Doria
Leonardo da Vinci

The Battle of Anghiari is one of the world’s most controversial and mysterious masterpieces. Leonardo da Vinci began painting it on a wall in Florence’s Palazzo Vecchio in 1503, leaving it unfinished.

We only have copies of the fresco. One of these is La Tavola Doria, an anonymous sketch dating to the sixteenth century and representing the central part of the original painting. It got its name from the noble family who bought it and kept until 1940.

https://www.florenceinferno.com/tavol...

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments The finding of La Tavola Doria

Since for many years no one knew what had happened to it, it has not been easy to reconstruct a history of sales and theft.

The search for La Tavola Doria officially began 30 years ago. The painting was finally discovered in 2008 in the vault of a bank in Geneva on behalf of the Fuji Museum in Japan.

This draft, perhaps a sketch by Leonardo, is probably a fake. But when it comes to Leonardo, there is enough doubt to arouse interest, especially given that the subject is La Battaglia di Anghiari, the missing fresco that Leonardo painted on the east wall of the Salone dei Cinquecento in Palazzo Vecchio and never finished due to an accident during the realization.

The vicissitudes of the Doria panel began after 1940 when it passed through the hands of the noble Doria family of the Genoan Giovanni Marchese Nicolò De Ferrari. In the following centuries it passed through Switzerland, Germany, and America. The painting is now back where it was created five centuries ago, in Florence.

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments The copy of The Battle of Anghiari

The sketch depicts the central part of the famous fresco by Leonardo: a tangle of horses and warriors face each other during a clash between the Milanese and Florentine armies.

The Battle of Anghiari (Arezzo) was fought on June 29, 1440, between the troops of the Visconti of Milan and a coalition led by the Republic of Florence, including Venice and the Papal States.

Perhaps the fresco was still visible on the wall of Palazzo Vecchio up until 1557, when Cosimo I de’ Medici commissioned Giorgio Vasari to repaint the entire building. It is still unknown whether Vasari decided to cover the ruined painting with a new plaster or whether he found a way to save it. Reports from that period mention a fresco that was irretrievably damaged.

Leonardo had wanted to try the ancient technique of encaustic painting, but it was too large and the paint began to drip.

message 4: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Da Vinci’s lost painting may be in Florence

Leonardo Da Vinci is now considered by most a mystery and an enigma. Historical truth, suggestion, or pure invention no longer seem divisible, especially after the release of Dan Brown’s novel Inferno. The Battle of Anghiari, never found, is always part of the myth.

An endoscopic observation has revealed that the east wall of the living room, where the painting of La Battaglia di Marciano by Vasari now stands, hides a cavity beyond which the original wall would have been situated.

The Anghiari of Leonardo might have been hidden there for over 500 years?

There are even opposing positions regarding the message CERCA TROVA on the flags of the painting by Vasari: for Seracini, this is unequivocal evidence of the presence of Leonardo; for others art historians, this is really just a sarcastic message directed to the people of Siena, who looked for freedom and instead found defeat.

The entire operation, which was funded and sponsored by National Geographic, was carried on for weeks by Professor Saracini; it remains to be seen whether Seracini’s intuition was correct: the search began under a great deal of controversy and was stopped after the Superintendency banned the method of continuing to “rip” Vasari.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments The Tavola Doria, a genuine painting or a fake?

One of few traces of the Battle of Anghiari is the Tavola Doria on display at the Uffizi Gallery in a room of usually closed to the public. Along with the Doria are other copies of famous works by Leonardo.

Even if the Doria is a false, it remains a testament to how the original was to appear after 1503. Anyway, the mere echo of Leonardo’s name evokes, perhaps, more than the truth.

https://www.florenceinferno.com/tavol...

What do YOU think?

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine  Henshaw (kristilou) What a gorgeous room! Do you have close-ups?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments I’m not at my PC now so I can’t post pictures but when I get home I’ll see what I can find. I agree!

message 8: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments Damn, paintings on the ceiling: not good for the muscles in the neck!

message 9: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments No kidding, one really needs a neck massage after viewing the Sistine Chapel!

message 10: by Dirk, Moderator (new)

Dirk Van | 3285 comments Oh yes indeed! I remember when I was there and tried to squat down a bit after standing there for more than 20 minutes looking up I was accosted by a guard: squatting or sitting was not allowed!

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Kristine wrote: "What a gorgeous room! Do you have close-ups?"

I'm sorry, Kristine, I can't find any closer images of that room. This is another similar to the one I already posted:

This shows a bit of the size of the painting:

message 12: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8542 comments Does anyone have any thoughts on the authenticity of this work?