Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)
This topic is about Ship of Destiny
Hobb - Various > Ship of Destiny

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot 😎

Anny | 241 comments When is the date for this BR?

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Jul 25.

Solseit | 1456 comments I am also in for this one!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments So excited!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I started a few days early because I have Malazan #9 coming up this week and I really want to get to get this one out of the way so I can move on to that one. I'm up to chapter 18 (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Chapter 21...(view spoiler)

I'm starting to feel story fatigue here and it doesn't help that the list of characters I dislike or am not interested in is far outpacing the ones I do like. I'm ready for this to be done.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Still chapter 21...(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am only up to Ch 4... Just started and I think the old granny is the strongest character so far. All the dragons seem so self centered to me. From the creatures She Who Remembers , Paragon and Maulkin are my favorite...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Up to Ch 8... Man, I am kind of frustrated with everyone at this point... I appreciate all the details and the debt of characters they create, but I really think that these books could have been half as short as they are. I am a bit tired of knowing every emotion of every person in Bingtown or the Rein Wilds... For that matter, I don't need to know everything about all the random sailors or pirates. I think, the same thing I felt for Diana Gibaldon, or however her name is spelled... They can't control their writing and get lost in all the details they feel and want to relate. This is why I love Glen Cook, who can tackle epic themes like these, full of hundreds of characters, and still stick to the point, conveying all the rest with show of emotion through action and not needing to explain every emotion of the character, we just get it. I don't usually mind the in debt portrayls, but there has to be at least an editor who goes behind the author and keeps them in line.

I only say that because I really love this author and expect much more from her than the average ones out there. I love the world, the idea of the story, but yes, there is such a thing as story fatigue...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments So, I am up to Ch 21... Wow! I hate Bolt! I wasn't that big of a fan of Vivacia, but Bolt needs to get eaten by the serpents! And Kennit - Ggghhhhrrrrrr!!!! He needs to get dead yesterday! How dare he (view spoiler)
At least Malta is growing up and her brother is adorable! Reyn drove me insane when he would just obsess over Malta and not listen to reason... And only the kid understands how to be around the dragon. Everyone else is being either crazy hostile or just hoping to get something from the connection with Tentaglia... Obviously the times when humanity lived to admire and semi-worship the gorgeous creatures is gone... Kind of sad...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "Up to Ch 8... Man, I am kind of frustrated with everyone at this point... I appreciate all the details and the debt of characters they create, but I really think that these books could have been ha..."

Yes! Perfectly stated, Choko. To paraphrase Paragon in this book, the author has used a lot of words to tell me (next to) nothing new. It's as if the author fears she'll sacrifice quality if she's more concise, which doesn't have to be the case at all.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "So, I am up to Ch 21... Wow! I hate Bolt! I wasn't that big of a fan of Vivacia, but Bolt needs to get eaten by the serpents! And Kennit - Ggghhhhrrrrrr!!!! He needs to get dead yesterday! How dare..."

Agree on all points, Choko. (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Chapter 28...And here I was thinking that Kennit couldn't possibly get more loathsome to me (view spoiler)

I haven't hated a character this much in awhile. I. Am. Seething.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments All those emotions which we both share, believe me, do indicate some good crafting of a villain on page! But I am boiling with hatered too! I just finished Ch 21 and am half way through Ch. 22... Please tell me (view spoiler)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "All those emotions which we both share, believe me, do indicate some good crafting of a villain on page! But I am boiling with hatered too! I just finished Ch 21 and am half way through Ch. 22... P..."

Is that rhetorical or do you really want me to tell you? That was the only time I've really wanted to slap Paragon and tell him to snap out of it.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I actually really want you to tell me... Put it in spoiler tags, but I need to know... My nerves can't take it...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "I actually really want you to tell me... Put it in spoiler tags, but I need to know... My nerves can't take it..."

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Scott  Hitchcock (lostinthewarrenofchaos) | 8082 comments Mod
I miss buddy reading with the two of you. It's always entertaining for different reasons. Can't wait until you both start DoD.

message 21: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Oh and yes, this book had me seething.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Scott wrote: "Oh and yes, this book had me seething."

LOL, I do try to sit on my emotions most of the time. I just suck at it.

message 23: by Scott , Karsa Orlong (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica wrote: "
LOL, I do try to sit on my emotions most of the time. I just suck at it."

I'll give that all the consideration it's due. :)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Hahahaha! Scott, we miss you too, but we know we will read Malazan together for ever, so I am very happy with the knowledge:-)

Thank you, V! Now I can continue reading... I was freaking out, because of the anger and helplessness and just everything... I think she has created the perfect villain in this series. You know you hate him, but she gives you just enough to spark some hope that maybe there is a chance for something good in him, and every time the letdown is worse than the one before... He is layered and complex, with bunch of background that makes us feel sorry for him and even have some understanding, but he is still a selfish prick who is paranoid and rather I
eliminate all perceived threats than see if they are real or imagined... I am with you! He suffered with the leg, but he needs to die a horrible death still!

Also, is it only me, or is it not the best thing to have the whole race of Dragons resurrected? They completely discount human laws and put themselves above all else... Her explanation about whoever kills the prey first is the rightfully owner, this doesn't bode well for farmers and regular folks, who already have to pay taxes to greedy rulers... Maybe there is a way to keep their clutches as small as possible, just not extinct...

message 25: by Veronica (last edited Jul 25, 2019 06:57AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "Hahahaha! Scott, we miss you too, but we know we will read Malazan together for ever, so I am very happy with the knowledge:-)

Thank you, V! Now I can continue reading... I was freaking out, becau..."

You're more lenient than me. I've never thought there was a hope of a redemption arc for him. His inner thoughts always indicated to me that he has nothing but contempt and disdain for everyone around him. (view spoiler) But, no, I never thought he'd ever grow into a better man. He's never wanted to.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Maaaaan, I got to the part with Althea... I am just so angry now! Ghhhhrrrrr!

message 27: by Anny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments Just starting, up to chapter 2 only.

I really admire Ronica's gut and strength of character. While Serilla is suddenly not so likable anymore. I get that she is alone and is desperate not to have power wrested away from her, but compared to Ronica she just seemed shallow and callous.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Will be late, Malazan is taking a bit longer than I expected. I'll probably start sometime this weekend.

Solseit | 1456 comments I will probably be late as well - I am finishing one book and then I will start!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments Chapter 6 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments Anny wrote: "Just starting, up to chapter 2 only.

I really admire Ronica's gut and strength of character. While Serilla is suddenly not so likable anymore. I get that she is alone and is desperate not to have ..."

Totally agree, Anny!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Yeah, my feelings for Serilla changed several times... There is the abuse, the culture she came from and other things, but I think her main motivation is being in a position to be safe, never again for someone else to be able to just give her away or sell her... I hate the way she goes about it, but I understand...

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments Choko wrote: "Yeah, my feelings for Serilla changed several times... There is the abuse, the culture she came from and other things, but I think her main motivation is being in a position to be safe, never again..."

Yes I see what you mean, Choko. I don't like the way she's going about it, but I understand the motivation.

message 34: by Anny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 6"

Serilla (view spoiler)

Amber (view spoiler)

message 35: by Barry (last edited Jul 28, 2019 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 6

Serilla
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Anny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 6

Serilla
(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1456 comments I am reading all the comments about Serilla - I just finished Chapter 6.

(view spoiler)

message 38: by Barry (last edited Jul 29, 2019 10:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Serilla up to Ch 6
(view spoiler)

Solseit | 1456 comments Barry wrote: "Serilla up to Ch 6"

I agree with your comment entirely! Certainly you phrased so much better than I could and highlighted exactly my problem with her behavior!

message 40: by Solseit (last edited Jul 30, 2019 12:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Solseit | 1456 comments I am in the middle of chapter 10 and I have to say that the chapters before hurt me fairly bad.

Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

I am very pleased with Ronica's development and, overall, story. I think it was very smart to add the political process to it.
All in all, this book seems a bit faster - in terms of plot development - than book 2. There are several points of view with different story-lines. I am really looking forward to see the conclusion of this trilogy.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments I love the full on debate we're having about Serilla! XD
I also agree with you Barry and Solseit.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments Solseit wrote: "I am in the middle of chapter 10 and I have to say that the chapters before hurt me fairly bad.

Chapter 7 .."

RE chapter 7, (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1456 comments Siobhan wrote: "Solseit wrote: "I am in the middle of chapter 10 and I have to say that the chapters before hurt me fairly bad.

Chapter 7 .."

RE chapter 7, [spoilers removed]"

Me too - that is going to be another heart-breaking moment. Yet, and I just had an illumination right now (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments End of Ch 15

Paragon
(view spoiler)

Tintaglia
(view spoiler)

Ronica
(view spoiler)

Malta
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Anny (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 15"

Paragon (view spoiler)

Malta (view spoiler)

Solseit | 1456 comments Barry wrote: "End of Ch 15

Paragon
I needed to re-read that part two times to fully understand it (view spoiler)

Tintaglia
[spoilers r..."

Your theory is quite awesome. I wonder if that is the case (view spoiler)

on the Vestris women - I did not expect to like Malta so much. I borderline hated the character and was annoyed to read about her in the first two books. Now, I cannot wait to read about her!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7560 comments RE Malta, I feel like only Robin Hobb could make me go from despising a character to loving them in the space of half a book. Haha.
I second your thoughts on her current predicament, Barry.

Solseit | 1456 comments Very true!!!!

message 49: by Kathrine (last edited Aug 01, 2019 09:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 6"

Re: Serilla: (view spoiler)

I'm up to chapter 24 – some thoughts so far:

Malta: (view spoiler)

Amber: (view spoiler)

Tintaglia: (view spoiler)

Kennit, Paragon + Liveship characters in general: (view spoiler)

message 50: by Anny (last edited Aug 01, 2019 09:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Anny | 241 comments Kathrine wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 6"
Kenni..."

Tintaglia (view spoiler)

Kennit (view spoiler)

Farseer (view spoiler)

« previous 1