This topic is about Ship of Magic
Hobb - Various > Ship of Magic [May 25, 2019]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new) - rated it 4 stars

Margret | 3170 comments Mod

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Spot 😎

Kathrine | 1246 comments Definitely in :D

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments Me too! :)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Oooh! I'm going to try for this one. I've never read any of Hobb's other works before so can I start with this one?

message 6: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Veronica wrote: "Oooh! I'm going to try for this one. I've never read any of Hobb's other works before so can I start with this one?"

You can. There's a minor crossover with the Farseer trilogy that you're going to miss. Farseer is chronologically set before Ship of Magic so if you want to read the whole Realm of the Elderlings it's best to start with Farseer. However you don't need any knowledge from that trilogy in order to read Liveship because the plot itself is not related :)
Also, this trilogy is way better than Farseer imo :)

Tempted to do a reread but I'm not sure if I'll have time.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Thanks, Bea. I don't think I have time to read the whole Farseer trilogy before this BR starts but as long as it's not majorly related to the plot here then I should be fine. :-)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments I am so tempted to rearead this with you all.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Do it! Do It! Do it! ;-)

But we'll understand if you can't. Sometimes the real life of a bibliophile doesn't allow for the luxury of a re-read.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments I still ha d to reread the second one! Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh and damn

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments We all need clones so that we can read all the books all the time.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments Veronica wrote: "We all need clones so that we can read all the books all the time."

Yes! Exactly!!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 1337 comments Veronica wrote: "We all need clones so that we can read all the books all the time."

Yesssssss! Or a chip that we can just read the books in like 2 seconds and have it all retained 😃. Well, unless the book sucks 😂🤣

MikMurphy the Spinecreaser | 37 comments I'm hoping to join in on this!

Solseit | 1456 comments I should be able to join for this one! I was aching to resume reading Robin Hobb!

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I’m in, but I’ll be late starting. Maybe a week late 🤔. But, I am super excited with this series. Lots of people highly recommend this after the disappointment that was Assassin’s Quest 😑.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'll probably start early because I have two other BRs scheduled for next week.

message 18: by Veronica (last edited May 15, 2019 11:12AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I've just started, barely on page 26 and I've already developed an intense dislike for Kennit. That doesn't bode well since he seems to be a main character.

Oh, jeez. I hope he's not the love interest.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I just started. I am a bit lost, but I will give it time to figure out where we are going... But yeah, Kennit seems to be completely ruthless...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "I just started. I am a bit lost, but I will give it time to figure out where we are going... But yeah, Kennit seems to be completely ruthless..."

By the end of chapter three I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of the world and how this particular society functions. I don't know everything, of course, but I feel comfortable.

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Yeah, I think I am in Ch. 4... I know one thing, I strongly dislike Kennit! However, I wonder if he is somehow influenced by a curse or something... Also, the girl on the ship, she seems to be acting like a spoiled brat, so I am thinking we should be in for a long growing up process...

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am well on my way to 50%... The story is, as always, very character driven, and she knows how to spin a tale for sure. Althea is a pain in the ass, but I think she is starting to mature, little by little... Little priest boy ... I wish he would start seeing how much his attitude hurts the ship, but all of the main characters seem too self absorbed at the moment to notice anyone else's troubles... I hate his dad though.

There is something very compelling about a live ship, but also very disturbing... I love Paragon and my heart breaks for him... I really hope he heals somehow, but by the mood of the book, I don't see it happening... And somehow those serpents are connected to the ships, but I have no idea how...

I can't put the book down, it is mesmerizing... How are you doing with it, V?

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I haven't been able to read much so far this weekend so you're way ahead of me, Choko. I'm still back at chapter four.

I was going to say though that I do like Althea. She didn't come off as particularly bratty to me. Not yet anyway. The only two characters I don't like so far are Kennit and Kyle, the brother-in-law.

The whole live ship sentience thing does make you wonder, (view spoiler)

Mayim de Vries | 2832 comments If only I had time for reading this year. I'd love to do a reread with you. :(

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments You can still chat with us about it, Mayim. You know we'd be happy to hear your thoughts about it. :-)

message 26: by Veronica (last edited May 20, 2019 11:03AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Got a bit more reading done yesterday, up through chapter 14.

(view spoiler)

Not a very action oriented story but I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

message 27: by Kathrine (last edited May 20, 2019 10:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathrine | 1246 comments Argh, all your comments make me want to start immediately! Although I still have to get through The Final Empire + The Well of Ascension before I can get to this D: And I also have three exams in the next week – I love being stressed 🙃

This book sounds really good, though – I'm so excited!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Kathrine wrote: "Argh, all your comments make me want to start immediately! Although I still have to get through The Final Empire + The Well of Ascension before I can get to this D: And I also have three exams in t..."

No worries, Kathrine. We'll still be around to chat about it with you whenever you get to it. I only started early because I have two other BRs scheduled for this same week. And good luck with your exams!

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments Vivacia is a very interesting mix of childish insecurities, some adult knowledge, and that weird aloof thing the live ships obviously share... Very nicely written, since she is just a baby in live ships' years... Her demsel in distress act is kind of appropriate in her case.

The little girl thought, ghhhhhrrrrr! Malta... I know she is a very bright and precocious child, so behavior like hers is expected, but she is soooooo selfish! Can't wait for you to get to her...

Althea definitely grew on me the further we got... But something not good is going to come out from the serpents' story, I can just feel it... Something scary and disturbing 😱... This is only my speculation, not a spoiler 😶...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "The little girl thought, ghhhhhrrrrr! Malta... I know she is a very bright and precocious child, so behavior like hers is expected, but she is soooooo selfish! Can't wait for you to get to her... "

I've already read the part where (view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I actually feel really sorry for Keffria! At first she bugged me, but later I thought, she is not an alpha personality and she is stuck in a family of alphas, who constantly try to impose their will on all the rest... Only her son is more willing to relinquish control, but I wonder if that will not change either... I really feel bad for her...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments Choko wrote: "I actually feel really sorry for Keffria! At first she bugged me, but later I thought, she is not an alpha personality and she is stuck in a family of alphas, who constantly try to impose their wil..."

I'm liking her a lot more now that she's showing she has some spine.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I've finished through chapter 18...

Malta: (view spoiler)

Kennit:(view spoiler)

I like reading about Althea and Wintrow. I'd like more of Brashen.

Kathrine | 1246 comments Veronica wrote: "No worries, Kathrine. We'll still be around to chat about it with you whenever you get to it. I only started early because I have two other BRs scheduled for this same week. And good luck with your exams!"

Thanks!

I'll hopefully get to this book in the weekend, I'm really keen on starting :D

Timelord Iain | 14729 comments I thought I'd forgotten about the book... there have been so many ship book BRs floating around lately...

Kathrine | 1246 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "I thought I'd forgotten about the book... there have been so many ship book BRs floating around lately..."

Yeah, I've definitely been confused a few times! xD

message 37: by Katie (last edited May 24, 2019 09:29AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katie Koloske | 1822 comments Gasp! I walk into this chat room only to find out that you have all started the book early?! ^^;

lol, well I'll be joining you all this weekend. My pace might be a little slow because I'll be reading "The Well of Ascension" as well. But, I can't wait to hear all of your thoughts on the series. Hobbs is slowly becoming one of my favorite authors, so I can't wait to read more of her works :D

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments No worries, I'll still be reading for a bit yet. I started early because I have three BRs that were all scheduled to start this week and I'm feeling the time crunch.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments I'll be making a start this weekend too, Katie! Looking forward to reading your comments Veronica and Choko! :)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments Veronica wrote: "I've just started, barely on page 26 and I've already developed an intense dislike for Kennit. That doesn't bode well since he seems to be a main character.

Oh, jeez. I hope he's not the love inte..."

Just read chapter 1 and I totally understand your dislike!

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I'm through chapter 27 now, Siobhan, and my opinion of him hasn't changed.

Other thoughts up to this point...

(view spoiler)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments I am rooting for them too! However, I think Malta is more ignorant and spoiled than stupid. She is probably too smart for her own good. If she was just stupid, she wouldn't be able to play people against each other as well as she does. But she is only 12 and as you said, she doesn't have the whole picture...

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 3340 comments I can't stand her. I hope she gets eaten by a serpent or ends up all warty.

message 44: by Bea (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Veronica wrote: "I can't stand her. I hope she gets eaten by a serpent or ends up all warty."

It's kind of amusing to read your comments on Malta, Veronica :)
She will develop a lot throughout the series, though, so I'm curious to see what you'll think of her in the end. What I want to say by that: her parts get better and more interesting, so don't despair :)

message 45: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments I'm so very tempted to do a re-read, I love this series :)

Choko (chokog) | 5098 comments This author is one of those that draws you in and you get addicted to her story telling, like the story or not... I personally loved this book, despite being a bit confused in the beginning:-).

message 47: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Siobhan wrote: "Veronica wrote: "I've just started, barely on page 26 and I've already developed an intense dislike for Kennit. That doesn't bode well since he seems to be a main character.

Oh, jeez. I hope he's ..."

Just starting too. Kennit definitely feels like an anti-hero. Hopefully we'll get another hero down the line.

Solseit | 1456 comments I started on Saturday and I made my way through chapter 14.
I really like Althea. While there are flaws that would drive me nuts, I like the general empowerment she grew up with and the idea of her right to retain control over her life. Very modern content too!

Kennit is a pirate. I think we have been “desensitized” to what pirates really were like (and still are). So I am enjoying a more accurate depiction of piracy! Yet, he is a horrible human being!

For some reason, I also genuinely like Ronica. I felt her decisions to be extremely realistic.

I am just looking forward to keep going strong! And this book confirmed how Hobb’s stories are centered on characters and how beautifully skilled she is at making them realistic and different!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7569 comments Chapter 6 - (view spoiler)

message 50: by Anny (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anny | 241 comments Siobhan wrote: "Chapter 6 "

Yeah, it made me really angry too! (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3