Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > Historical fiction/historical fantasy by asian authors

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Myta (new)

Myta Santiago (oroplatamyta) | 12 comments Hi everyone, I'd like to ask for recommendations for HF books by Asian authors, especially set in Asia. I'm doing this for YARC2019. Would be glad to get a few titles/authors in.

Thanks!

message 2: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 14 comments Julie Kagawa writes a lot of Fantasy. I have only read one of her books Shadow of the Fox but it was set in a historical Japan with lots of Japanese mythology included. Its the first i a series but the rest of the series hasn't been released yet.

message 3: by Tania (new)

Tania | 70 comments I quite liked The Ghost Bride., also, I haven't yet read it, but I have a book called Fudoki which I think fits your criteria.

message 4: by Jan (new)

Jan | 1804 comments Try Anchee Min!

message 5: by Myta (new)

Myta Santiago (oroplatamyta) | 12 comments Thank you all! I'll these authors and books out :)

message 6: by Fiona (last edited Apr 03, 2019 07:02AM) (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 238 comments China: The Joy Luck Club and The Kitchen God's Wife by Amy Tan

India: A Suitable Boy by Vikram Seth

Korea: White Crysanthemum by Mary Lynn Bracht

Iran: The Blood of Flowers and Equal of the Sun by Anita Amirrezvani

message 7: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 27 comments The Legend of the Condor series by Jin Yong is an amazing historical fantasy. The first volume is A Hero Born. It's a martial arts fantasy set in Song dynasty China.

Pramoedya Ananta Toer is a great writer as well. He has written many books, but I personally really liked The Girl from the Coast, which is set in Indonesia around 1900.

A True Novel by Minea Mizumura is retelling of Wuthering Heights, set in 20th century Japan. It really interesting how it plays with Japanese and European storytelling.

message 8: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 248 comments I'd like to recommend The Widows of Malabar Hill a historical mystery taking place in India in the 1920's by Sujata Massey who is part-Indian.

message 9: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Lesley (cplesley) | 717 comments Yangsze Choo, author of The Ghost Bride, also has a new novel that I loved: The Night Tiger, set in Malaya 50 years later.

I'm currently reading How We Disappeared by Jing-Jing Lee. It's not out yet, but will be in about five weeks.

message 10: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 8525 comments Myta wrote: "Hi everyone, I'd like to ask for recommendations for HF books by Asian authors, especially set in Asia. I'm doing this for YARC2019. Would be glad to get a few titles/authors in.

Thanks!"

Where’s Alice, lol? She recommended the initial three books I’m identifying below to me back in the day.

China

The Last Quarter of the Moon by
Chi Zijian
The Book and the Sword by Jin Yong (wuxia)
Wolf Totem by Jiang Rong
The Green Phoenix: A Novel of the Woman Who Re-Made Asia, Empress Xiaozhuang by Alice Poon

Japan
I.J. Parker’s Akitada series of historical mysteries, the first of which is The Dragon Scroll.
Laura Joh Rowland’s historical mystery series set in 17th century Japan, the first of which is Shinju

message 11: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments I thought Empress by Shan Sa was a stand-out.
I second Wolf Totem and Last Quarter of the Moon, by Chinese writers on Inner Mongolian and Evenki minorities. Both deal with cultures under threat.

message 12: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments For Central Asia, I loved last year's The Devils' Dance by Hamid Ismailov. First novel from Uzbekistan translated into English!

message 13: by Sanne (new)

Sanne (sanneennas) | 27 comments Bryn wrote: "For Central Asia, I loved last year's The Devils' Dance by Hamid Ismailov. First novel from Uzbekistan translated into English!"

I just started that one! I've got a feeling I'm going to love it too. It's off to a great start already!

message 14: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond (brynhammond) | 298 comments Sanne wrote: "I just started that one! I've got a feeling I'm going to love it too. It's off to a great start already!"

Great to hear! :)

message 15: by Eileen (last edited Apr 04, 2019 11:03AM) (new)

Eileen Iciek | 472 comments I am fond of Lisa See's books. She's part Chinese.

There's also Betty Bao Lord's novel, Spring Moon A Novel of China by Bette Bao Lord . I really enjoyed that book.

Also, there's Old Town by Lin Zhe by Lin Zhe, translated by George Fowler.

Both of these are straight historical fiction, not fantasy.

message 16: by Cheryl A (new)

Cheryl A | 972 comments A little known gem of a book is When the Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza Holthe. I absolutely loved it and recommend it often at my library. May not be exactly what you're looking for, but a great read. Brief description:

In the waning days of World War II, as the Japanese and U.S. forces battle to possess the Philippine Islands, the Karangalan family hides with their neighbors in a cramped cellar, where they glean hope from the family stories and folktales they tell each other. These stories of love, survival, and family blend the supernatural with the rich, little known history of the Philippines, the centuries of Spanish colonization, the power of the Catholic church, and the colorful worlds of the Spanish, Mestizo, and Filipino cultures.

message 18: by Hallie (new)

Hallie Duffy (halliejoy_) Myta wrote: "Hi everyone, I'd like to ask for recommendations for HF books by Asian authors, especially set in Asia. I'm doing this for YARC2019. Would be glad to get a few titles/authors in.

Thanks!"

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee was a great read!

message 19: by Hahtoolah (new)

Hahtoolah | 5 comments I am reading The Island on Sea Women, by Lisa See. It is about Korea and life as a woman divers.

message 20: by Gop (new)

Gop M | 1 comments White Mughals by William Dalrymple was outstanding for me. Set in India in the 1700’s.

message 21: by Aurora (new)

Aurora | 64 comments Oh wow, i have a very long list :) THE TALE OF GENJI by Murasaki Shikibu ( book takes place a quarter or so century before author was born) there is ROMANCE OF THE THREE KINGDOMS which has some fantasy elements, but is mostly realistic. SHINOBI series by Susan Spann, then there are two books, EMPRESS OF THE BRIGHT MOON and MOON IN THE PALACE BY WEINA DAI RANDELL.