2-3-4 Challenge discussion

Archives - Monthly Reading Plans > Anita Read's Plans for April

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anita Reads (last edited Apr 26, 2019 01:14PM) (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments This month is O.W.L season on Booktube. This year the creator of the readathon has made a little booklet with career paths and topics you have to finish in order to complete the N.E.W.T.S in August where the career is in focus. I obviously want to make things more difficult for myself and want to become an Alchemist, which means I needed to read something for all 12 lessons/prompts. I have an additional 5 books on my TBR as well I also need to get to this month.

Currently Reading
1. Whose Body by Dorothy L Sayers 04/07/19 ★★★.5
2. When the Sky Fell on Splendor by Emily Henry
3. 99 Red Balloons by Elizabeth Carpenter 04/02/19 ★★★
4. Pawn of Prophecy by David Eddings
Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers When the Sky Fell on Splendor by Emily Henry 99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter Pawn of Prophecy (The Belgariad, #1) by David Eddings

Audio Plans
1. Grimm - Fairytales retold by Kenneth Bøgh Andersen and Benni Bødker (Ancient Runes - Retellings) 04/03/19 ★★★
2. What Could Possibly Go Wrong? by Jodi Taylor (Chronicles of St. Mary's #6) (Care of Magical Creatures - Land Animal on cover) 04/14/19 ★★★★
3. Fool's Assassin by Robin Hobb (Fitz and the Fool #1) (Charms - Adult Work) 04/11/19 ★★★★★
4. Stolen Times by Danielle Rollins (Devination - Set in the Future) 04/16/19 ★★
5. It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover (Herbology - Plant on Cover) (Lala's Favorite) 04/17/19 ★★★★★
6. Men At Arms by Terry Pratchett (Discworld #15) (History of Magic - published 10+ years ago) 04/06/19 ★★★★★
7. Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben (Muggle Studies - Contemporary) 04/25/19 ★★★
8. Kings of the Wyld by Nicolas Eames (CR - Not part of O.W.L.S) 04/21/19 ★★★★
9. The Poppy War by R.F. Kuang (BSFF) (Carry-over from last month)
10. Grey Sister by Mark Lawrence (BSFF) (Carry-over from last month)
11. Into the Fire by Jeaniene Frost (Night Huntress #4) (Series finisher of the month)
GRIMM - Gendigtet af Benni Bødker og Kenneth Bøgh Andersen by Benni Bødker og Kenneth Bøgh Andersen What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6) by Jodi Taylor Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1) by Danielle Rollins It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover Men at Arms (Discworld, #15; City Watch #2) by Terry Pratchett Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1) by Nicholas Eames The Poppy War (The Poppy War, #1) by R.F. Kuang Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2) by Mark Lawrence Into the Fire (Night Prince, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

Physcial Books or Ebooks
1. The Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy, Griffin McElroy, Justin McElroy, Travis McElroy, Carey Pietsch (Arithmancy - More than 1 author) (BSFF) 04/07/19 ★★★★
2. The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowall (Astronomy - Star in title) (BSFF)
3. Real Murders by Charlaine Harris (Defense Against Dark Arts - 'R'- Title)
4. Night Broken by Patricia Briggs (Mercy Thompson #8) (Potions - Sequels) 04/22/19 ★★★★★
5. The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (TBR Unwrapping) (Transfiguration - Red Cover)
6. Skyward by Brandon Sanderson (BSFF) 04/06/19 ★★★★
The Adventure Zone Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal Real Murders (Aurora Teagarden, #1) by Charlaine Harris Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs The Rook (The Checquy Files, #1) by Daniel O'Malley Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson

Unexpected Stuff
Tempus Fugit by Kenneth Bøgh Andersen 04/07/19 ★★★★
Fruits Basket, vol 7 by Natsuki Takaya 04/07/19 ★★★★
Tempus Fugit by Kenneth Bøgh Andersen Fruits Basket, Vol. 7 by Natsuki Takaya

message 2: by Anita Reads (last edited Apr 08, 2019 02:06AM) (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments I've had a good start to the month and finished 8 books already (6 of them this weekend thanks to Dewey's)

99 Red Balloons by Elisabeth Carpenter - Carryover from March. This book wasn't really what I was hoping for. It did have some good moments. ★★★

GRIMM - Gendigtet af Benni Bødker og Kenneth Bøgh Andersen by Benni Bødker og Kenneth Bøgh Andersen - This was a collection of Grimm's fairy tales - retold in mostly its original form (so they were a lot darker than the ones we know today). It was well told, and they had chosen a good narrator for the book. They were just to me a little too close to the ones I've been told anyway, so they didn't bring much new ★★★.

Skyward (Skyward, #1) by Brandon Sanderson - this was another nominee for the Booktube SFF Awards in the YA category. It's the first time Sanderson delves into Science Fiction, and I think he did that really well. It did get a little repetitive in places, but overall a very enjoyable read ★★★★.

Men at Arms (Discworld, #15) by Terry Pratchett - Another amazing book from Terry Pratchett, so far the City Watch and the Death books has been my favorite subseries. I loved following the investigation with Carrot, Vimes, Dibbler and Deidre and all the others. ★★★★★

The Adventure Zone Here There Be Gerblins by Clint McElroy - A fun graphic novel that took a little time to get into, since the idea came from a podcast I hadn't known about before, so I was thrown in at the deep end. Once I got into it, it was super fun. ★★★★

Tempus Fugit by Kenneth Bøgh Andersen - This was a very quick read, that took the time turning theme in another direction. I enjoyed it a lot. ★★★★

Whose Body? (Lord Peter Wimsey, #1) by Dorothy L. Sayers - haven't read much from the well-known classic mystery writers, so this was a first with this author. Because of its writing it took me a lot longer to get through than the usual mysteries. I did end up enjoying the read mostly. Another book I started in March. ★★★.5

Fruits Basket, Vol. 7 by Natsuki Takaya - It was fun being back with this manga series, though I don't love it as much as Fullmetal Alchemist, this certainly has its moments. I thought this was a good addition and gave it. ★★★★

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 10415 comments Mod
Congrats on a great start, Anita!

message 4: by Anita Reads (new)

Anita Reads | 226 comments Another update for the month.

Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb
If you are into fantasy books at all and character driven stories I cannot recommend Robin Hobb's Elderling books enough. You should start with the beginning though (Assassin's Apprentice) and work your way through. This is the third trilogy where I'm following Fitz and although it started out a little slow, I ended up absolutely loving it, and might have a new favorite character - ★★★★★

What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (The Chronicles of St Mary's, #6) by Jodi Taylor
These books I recommend if you like time-travel, British humor, or both! I adore this series, it's always enjoyable, and I love the audios, so definitely go audio if you enjoy that format! ★★★★

Stolen Time (Dark Stars, #1) by Danielle Rollins
This was quite disappointing to me. The time travel system didn't really work for me in this one. I didn't care much for the characters, but the version of the future seemed realistic enough given the climate changes we already see today. ★★

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover
This was a roller coaster of emotions of a book. I haven't read many Colleen Hoover books, and the last one I read was Confess back in 2015 I think. I picked this one up because of a goal I've set for myself, and didn't know what to expect. It started a bit typically for a Romance, but suddenly went way deep and I liked how Colleen discussed abuse in the book. I was furious angry and needed breaks - yet I read the majority of the book in one day - I could not let it go. ★★★★★

Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1) by Nicholas Eames
I'm happy I decided to give this book a second chance. When I was reading it last year, I was in a rut, and a lot of people who didn't like the humor and trashed the book a bit probably clouded my own opinion at the time. I ended up enjoying the book quite a bit, and I agree that the book is not for everyone because if the humor is a no go, then I think it could fall a little flat for some. I personally didn't mind the humor at all - and enjoyed that we didn't follow the typical band of heroes, that these guys were a bit rusty. ★★★★

Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8) by Patricia Briggs
I adore this series so much. Mercy is one of my favorite fictional characters, and her dynamic with everyone else in these books is always such a joy. I loved this book so much. ★★★★★

Don't Let Go by Harlan Coben
This is my first try with Harlan Coben. I wasn't blown away by this book. It definitely had its moments, where I was quite into the story, however I guessed who dun it a bit too early. ★★★

I've had a good month so far, but still have a few books left to go.