Play Book Tag discussion

April 2019: History > Marathon Woman by Kathrine Switzer 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle H (new)

Michelle H | 27 comments Kathrine Switzer was the first woman to legally run the Boston Marathon in 1967 even though the race director tried to pull her off of the course. This and the story of her running the Boston Marathon I knew. What I learned by reading this book is how it was her life goal to make sports and, specifically running, mainstream for women. The book goes through her public (running) life as well as her private life. While I held her in high regards before, knowing and understanding what she has contributed to women and sports makes me respect her even more.

message 2: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2711 comments This reminds me of a conversation I had with my millenial son about Title 9. Poor guy. He made an uninformed, poorly timed comment from the perspective of male privilege while at dinner with his mother and his aunt, two committed feminists.

He got an education along with his steak. He'd never heard of Title 9. Had no idea that there hadn't always been girl's softball and track at every high school.

I should send him this book. :)

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7112 comments Jgrace wrote: "This reminds me of a conversation I had with my millenial son about Title 9. Poor guy. He made an uninformed, poorly timed comment from the perspective of male privilege while at dinner with his mo..."

Oh, JGrace-what a table! Would love to have been there!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Jgrace wrote: "This reminds me of a conversation I had with my millenial son about Title 9. Poor guy. He made an uninformed, poorly timed comment from the perspective of male privilege while at dinner with his mo..."

I would have loved to sit at this dinner. Just out of curiosity, how did he take all this? I have had a few aruguments with grown men who think that money going into women's sports in college takes away from the men. Makes me so angry.

message 5: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2711 comments Rachel wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "This reminds me of a conversation I had with my millenial son about Title 9. Poor guy. He made an uninformed, poorly timed comment from the perspective of male privilege while at din..."

We love him. He is really a good guy. He took it pretty well. It would never have gone anywhere when he was still in high school. But this was just past his 21st birthday after nearly 3 years on Guam in the Navy. He'd at least learned to keep his mouth shut when senior officers were dressing him down.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Jgrace wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "This reminds me of a conversation I had with my millenial son about Title 9. Poor guy. He made an uninformed, poorly timed comment from the perspective of male privile..."

You made me laugh! Well, at least he listened and took it all in.