Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > Mountain Climbing Challenge: 2019 Q2

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3737 comments Mod
This challenge is meant to help you climb your TBR Mountain and get those books finally read.

description

This will be a quarterly challenge, with a new theme each quarter. The theme this quarter will be EYE CATCHING TITLES. Whether in a dreamy-eyed or side-eyed way, choose from your TBR books with interesting titles.

HOW IT WORKS:
1) The first poster will post 5 book titles that they pick from their TBR shelf.

2) The next poster will choose 2 books from the first poster's titles and choose 5 book titles off their own TBR. The first poster will then choose to read at least 1 of the 2 books chosen.

3) The third poster will choose 2 from the second posters list .... and so on.

4) Each participant will have the entire quarter to read their book(s), post their rating and review. And tell us what you think of your book in this thread.

5) You are not limited to 1 time. You can return to select and post more options as often as it suits you.

message 3: by Darbella (last edited May 03, 2019 05:10AM) (new)

Darbella | 328 comments Joanna, for you I pickWhen Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer and The Dream Hunter by Laura Kinsale.
I have not read any of your five so I hope the two selected are enjoyable.

My five are:
1) How to Tame a Willful Wife by Christy English Read April 2019 I really enjoyed it.

2) The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance by Miranda Davis Read April 2019 I really enjoyed it.

3)Truce The Historic Neighbor From Hell series book 4 R.L. Mattewson I really enjoyed it. Read April 2019

4) Bewitching by Jill Barnett (Read a long time ago)Read again April 2019 I really enjoyed it.
5) The Devil You Know by Jo Goodman Read May 2019 Another one I liked.

message 4: by Priya (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
Darbella wrote: "Joanna, for you I pickWhen Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer and The Dream Hunter by Laura Kinsale.
I have not read any of your five so I hope the two selected are enjo..."

Darbella, I pick How to Tame a Willful Wife and The Baron's Betrothal: An On-Again, Off-Again, On-Again Regency Romance (the longest title I came across!)

My five are:

1. The Major's Faux Fiancée by Erica Ridley

2. Forgotten & Remembered: The Duke's Late Wife by Bree Wolf

3. How to Catch a Wild Viscount by Tessa Dare. I always wanted to read it but never found time.

4. The Six-Month Marriage by Amanda Grange

5. Stone Devil Duke by K.J. Jackson

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 3737 comments Mod
Darbella wrote: "Joanna, for you I pickWhen Harry Met Molly by Kieran Kramer and The Dream Hunter by Laura Kinsale.
I have not read any of your five so I hope the two selected are enjo..."

Thanks Darbella! I am going to try to read both, as I believe I can do the Kinsale one in audio.

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments Priya,

For you, I choose The Major's Faux Fiancée by Erica Ridley and How to Catch a Wild Viscount by Tessa Dare.

Here are my five:

1) A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

2) Not Quite a Lady; Not Quite a Knight by Isabella Thorne

3) No Greater Glory by Cindy Nord

4) Bound in Time with the Surly Sea Captain: A Once Upon a Time Travel Romance by Vanessa Ruinz

and

5) It's Getting Scot in Here by Suzanne Enoch

message 7: by Priya (new)

Thank you, Mariana!

message 8: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments Darbella wrote: "Don't shoot me guys, but I needed a break from my emotions by The Book Of Scandal so I decided that my q2 might hit the spot. I can not believe how much I liked it. It is a retelling of How to Tame..."

I am glad you enjoyed it. Doesn't sound like my kind of story at all.

message 9: by Priya (last edited Apr 04, 2019 06:34PM) (new)

Darbella wrote: "Don't shoot me guys, but I needed a break from my emotions by The Book Of Scandal so I decided that my q2 might hit the spot. I can not believe how much I liked it. It is a retelling of How to Tame..."

I am not a fan of 'Mistress on the side' but I am glad you liked it. I hope it got you over the other book's hangover.

message 10: by Priya (new)

I finished reading How to Catch a Wild Viscount and I liked it. It is a novella, so I didn't take much time to finish. Also it is a sweet story.

This was originally published as 'The Legend of Werestag'. Weird title and suits our theme better:)

message 11: by Missy (last edited Apr 12, 2019 10:41PM) (new)

Missy | 847 comments I've been meaning to choose Marianna's two books but kept forgetting.

For Marianna, I choose No Greater Glory and Bound in Time with the Surly Sea Captain: A Once Upon a Time Travel Romance.

1. Mr. Hunt, I Presume (Playful Brides, #10.5) by Valerie Bowman Mr. Hunt, I Presume by Valerie Bowman.

2. Snowbound with the Baronet by Deborah Hale Snowbound with the Baronet by Deborah Hale.

3. Saving Grace by Julie Garwood Saving Grace by Julie Garwood.

4. Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1) by Suzanne Enoch Sin and Sensibility by Suzanne Enoch.

5. London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) by Suzanne Enoch London's Perfect Scoundrel by Suzanne Enoch.

message 12: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments Missy wrote: "I've been meaning to choose Marianna's two books but kept forgetting.

For Marianna, I choose No Greater Glory and [book:Bound in Time with the Surly Sea Captain: A Once Upon a Tim..."

Thanks. I'm going to try Bound in Time with the Surly Sea Captain: A Once Upon a Time Travel Romance.

message 13: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

message 14: by Missy (last edited May 15, 2019 01:11AM) (new)

Missy | 847 comments No problem, Joanna. Thank you for the picks. I've already completed Mr. Hunt, I Presume. I believe I gave it 3 stars. I will begin Sin and Sensibility this weekend.

Edit: I'm still on hold for S&S.

message 15: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2227 comments I decided to go ahead and purchase No Greater Glory. I finished reading on Friday.

Here is my review:

This is an epic story that covers many years through the American Civil War until peace returns.

Emaline McDaniels is a widow who is attempting to keep her dead husband's plantation running with only a few slaves who did not leave. She has frequent panic attacks, but she is also strong. She is loyal but also open-minded and kind. I appreciated her spunk and her willingness to care for others.

Colonel Reece Cutteridge is a widower who is trying to run from his past and forget his pain by immersing himself in war. He is a good leader and a just man.

The romance builds slowly and competing loyalty come up over and over with the war and family and friends. Right and wrong are not clear. I appreciated the beautiful writing and the way many issues were tackled.

The only thing that prevents me from rating it 5 starts is not being fully emotionally invested. This should have brought tears more than once but it did not. I think this is a story that could affect individual readers quite differently as I've seen varying reviews.

message 16: by Missy (last edited Jun 04, 2019 10:04PM) (new)

Missy | 847 comments Since I couldn't remember why I added Sin and Sensibility to my TBR shelf, I couldn't gather up enough interest to read it. Needless to say, it's no longer on my tbr shelf.