Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman / 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
4 Stars

Richard, a British every-man, finds a young woman named Door injured and defenseless on the sidewalk and sacrifices his relationship with his romantic partner when he does not heed her ultimatum to leave the girl on the sidewalk and continue on. Instead, Richard picks Door up and takes her to safety, patches her up, and sets in motion a series of events that take him out of regular London and into the world of London Below – with no promise of a safe return.

This is Neil Gaiman's debut as a solo novelist; his very first novel, Good Omens, was co-written with Terry Pratchett, and is a favorite of mine.

Neverwhere was an enjoyable tale of adventure with all sorts of interesting characters populating London Below, including some creepy, gruesome men for hire, a King of Rats that wielded real power, monks that made me think of Monty Python sketches for some reason, and the sewer people. I liked it quite a lot.

message 2: by ShazM (new)

ShazM | 351 comments Nice review, thanks. I've read two Neil Gaiman's lately and like his style so your review makes me think I'd like this one.

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 823 comments ShazM wrote: "Nice review, thanks. I've read two Neil Gaiman's lately and like his style so your review makes me think I'd like this one."

Thanks, ShazM. I am a Neil Gaiman fan, but still have plenty of his to read. I can recommend The Graveyard Book and American Gods by him, as well as Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett.

message 4: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 674 comments This isn't one of my favorite Gaiman novels, but I still like it. When I re-read it, I remember being impressed by how much you saw Richard grow over the course of it.