Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro / 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 835 comments The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro
3.5 Stars

Axel and Beatrice – affectionately known as 'Princess' by Axel – are a loving, doddering old couple who live in a community where everyone has memory issues, as if they're living in a fog. Eventually the couple decides to go on an overland trip to a village a distance away to visit their son. They set off on their journey and, finally, a few things happen.

Slow, slow, slow. I started to read this a few months ago, and the story felt agonizingly slow. Get on with it! I wanted to shout at the main characters. I put it down for a few months, and just finished it up this week.

I enjoyed the story a little more this time around as the couple continue on their journey and meet others, including a somewhat mysterious boatman, a warrior, an elderly Sir Gawain (King Arthur's nephew and a knight of the round table), and a boy who has been bitten by a supernatural being and is cast out of his village by his superstitious family. The story is well-crafted with a tidy, rather fitting ending.

During a book club discussion, it was suggested that the foggy, slow nature of the story may have been deliberate, as all of the village people were affected by the fog and perhaps the author was hoping to induce that feeling in the reader as well. If that was the intention, it worked.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments LOL at the fog. I've only read one Ishiguro, I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go. I need to read more of his work.

message 3: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 835 comments annapi wrote: "LOL at the fog. I've only read one Ishiguro, I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go. I need to read more of his work."

I liked Never Let Me Go as well! I think this book was good too; I think it was more a matter of bad timing for me. Sometimes a book isn't right at a certain time. I'll definitely plan to read more Ishiguro.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1192 comments I have a love/meh relationship with Ishiguro. This one was a meh for me. I love his quiet writing style, though.