Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Free BETA Reader Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Espinosa (eafairchild) | 2 comments I have a BA in English, have taught HS for 16 years and absolutely love to read. I share many books with my students and we have a daily 15 minute reading block. I am currently researching for my own novel trilogy. If interested, please let me know the details and I’ll send you contact information.

- Liz

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat Devitt (kat_devitt_author) | 101 comments Hey Elizabeth,

I'm seeking beta readers for a historical fiction short story that comes in at 2,131 words. It's set in the late fourteenth century and follows an unhappily in love bell ringer. It's appropriately titled, "The Bell Ringer's Story."

If you're interested, please contact me at katdevittauthor@gmail.com.

Best,
Kat Devitt

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary Elizabeth Hughes Elizabeth wrote: "I have a BA in English, have taught HS for 16 years and absolutely love to read. I share many books with my students and we have a daily 15 minute reading block. I am currently researching for my o..."
hi Elizabeth, I have an epistolary HF novel, complete at 86,000 words that would lend itself easily to daily reading, a few letters at a time. Here's the blurb:
Living with her in-laws, dealing with her first pregnancy, acclimatizing to Canadian customs and weather, Imagining Violet Married is an intimate look at a young English bride's life in Toronto at the turn of the 20th century. While her husband is forging a brilliant career as a concert pianist in a city that is rapidly becoming the musical centre of Canada, Violet's life is full of small domestic challenges. All this makes for a lively correspondence as Violet writes about her life to her close friends and family. This is a sequel to the recently published Imagining Violet.

Hope this may be of interest to you. Thanks

message 4: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 27 comments I am looking for a Beta Reader for a 85,000 word novel based roughly on my life. Grew up in orphanage went Army, several deployments, while my love interest moved on. We reconnected after I got out. It also includes a serial killer and detective. Several deaths in the family, a girl who was missing for 20 years before her body was found. It is written from several different perspectives that are wound together in the end. Just want an overall idea of how this works. Would appreciate any help.

Matt
reader64@yahoo.com

message 5: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 27 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I have a BA in English, have taught HS for 16 years and absolutely love to read. I share many books with my students and we have a daily 15 minute reading block. I am currently researching for my o..."

I am looking for a Beta Reader for a 85,000 word novel based roughly on my life. Grew up in orphanage went Army, several deployments, while my love interest moved on. We reconnected after I got out. It also includes a serial killer and detective. Several deaths in the family, a girl who was missing for 20 years before her body was found. It is written from several different perspectives that are wound together in the end. Just want an overall idea of how this works. Would appreciate any help.

Matt
reader64@yahoo.com

message 6: by Erin (last edited Jun 10, 2019 01:10PM) (new)

Erin Kahn | 6 comments Hi Liz,

I'm looking for beta readers for my YA novel, Time and Tide (58K), which features Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, and Nathaniel Hawthorne as young adults having adventures in 1800s Concord, Massachusetts. It's part historical fiction, part time-travel adventure.

Let me know if you're interested! You can reply here, message me, or email. Thanks.

Erin
erin_kahn(at)aol.com

message 7: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa MacLaren-Wray | 5 comments Hi, Liz,
If you have time now that summer is about here (though I know perfectly well that this is often just as busy a time for teachers), I have a YA fantasy novel that you might have a very useful character analysis perspectives for: the main character is frustrated by a teacher who's "obviously" a sorcerer but seems more interested in teaching history and literature than sorcery.

Here's the pitch:

Dorêt des Remages knows a sorcerer when she sees one. When the king sends Lidian to Levoigne to tutor Dorêt and her siblings, Dorêt is convinced Lidian is a sorcerer and probably a spy as well. Dorêt catches her little brother carrying secret coded letters from Lidian, and she turns to her friends for help. The imam's apprentice deciphers the messages, but he sees more politics than sorcery in them. The girl Dorêt most trusts urges her to back off, but Dorêt will stop at nothing to unmask Lidian. When she discovers Lidian is going to the capital, she makes plans to follow. Neither Dorêt nor Lidian will be the same when they return.

Lidian's Promise blends magic and gunpowder, feudalism and Islam, friendship and loyalty, as a young woman takes the first steps towards her true destiny. For a taste, stir together Wilson's history-plus-magic of The Bird King with the social issues-plus-kickass girl-hero of the Ms. Marvel series.

The novel has been edited and critiqued and I'm readying it for the great agent hunt. You can message me here or goodreads or email me at cometary@cometarytales.com

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Oberth | 2 comments Hello, Elizabeth

I write a fun, 1820s mystery series set in a fictional town in Maine. I'm looking for a historical fiction beta reader to catch any mistakes or offer suggestions/additions to keep an accurate flavor of the historical setting of my cozies.

I had a wonderful historical beta reader but she just had a baby and, as you can imagine, is quite smitten and busy!

Please let me know if you'd be interested or would like any further info. You can look me up here - I'm looking for a beta reader for my Ella Westin Mysteries. I have 5 published already.

Thank you for your offer! Authors thrive on wonderful people like you guys who offer help and support to make our stories the best they can be.

message 9: by David (new)

David Wilson | 95 comments Hello Elizabeth, I sent you a PM a few days ago.

David

message 10: by Sujana (new)

Sujana Suresh | 12 comments Hi,

I saw your post about seeking beta readers and I am interested to beta read your story. Please send me the manuscript at hs.sujana@gmail.com :)

Regards,
Sujana Suresh

message 11: by Sujana (new)

Sujana Suresh | 12 comments Hi,

I saw your post about seeking beta readers and I am interested to beta read your story. Please send me the manuscript at hs.sujana@gmail.com :)

Regards,
Sujana Suresh

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary Elizabeth Hughes Hi Elizabeth,
My novel "Imagining Violet Married" is ready for beta reading. I've been though it 3 times wearing my Editor Hat, but I'm anxious to get feed back on continuity issues, confusing passages, etc. Here's the blurb:
While her new husband is forging a brilliant career as a concert pianist in Toronto, a city that is rapidly becoming the musical centre of Canada, Violet deals with a series of domestic challenges: life with her in-laws, her first pregnancy, acclimatizing to Canadian customs and weather. Imagining Violet Married is an intimate look at a young English bride's life in Toronto at the turn of the 20th century. All this makes for a lively correspondence as Violet writes about her life to her close friends and family. It's domestic drama and clean and well researched. A gentle, old-fashioned tale to be enjoyed a few letters at a time.
I'm a Goodreads Author, and easy to reach through my author page Mary Elizabeth Hughes

message 13: by Francis (last edited Jun 28, 2019 07:48PM) (new)

Francis (francisrwilliams) | 6 comments Hi Elizabeth,

I wrote a novel set in fifth-century Britain. There's a fair amount of action as well as some romantic elements. It is my first novel and I am hoping to find some beta readers who are okay with reading through a 150,000 word piece.
I hope to hear from you and have a good night,

Robby
robertjmashburn@gmail.com