Ultimate Popsugar Reading Challenge discussion

2019 Challenge - General > National Poetry Month (USA/Canada)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1152 comments April is National Poetry Month for the USA and Canada. I have never developed a love of poetry and read very little. I'd like to remedy this if I can.

So I just got The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson from the library. Any other suggestions for a beginner? Not that I will likely have time to read more than the above, but to consider for next year.

message 2: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 854 comments I read very little poetry also, although more since I started doing reading challenges. I am on hold for a book of poems by Mary Oliver. The hold lists for her books have gotten very long since she died last year, so I won't be getting it in April.

message 3: by Nadine in NY (last edited Apr 05, 2019 04:52AM) (new)

Nadine in NY Jones | 5919 comments Mod
I love poetry and I always have a book in progress!!! For a beginner, I recommend an anthology, so you can sample a variety of styles. I thought this was a really good one: She Walks in Beauty: A Woman's Journey Through Poems collected by Caroline Kennedy (she's got several anthologies of poetry).

Individual poets that I think are accessible, along with Emily Dickinson & Mary Oliver:
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Ada Limon
Kay Ryan

Or, you can just look up who some recent Poet Laureates have been, and choose one of them, like Tracy K. Smith or Ted Kooser

I am currently finishing up When My Brother Was an Aztec by Natalie Díaz, but I didn't really love it, and I have Wade in the Water: Poems by Tracy K. Smith on hold.

message 4: by Milena (new)

Milena (milenas) | 854 comments Oddly NYPL only has Tracy K. Smith's memoir available digitally, none of her poetry.

message 5: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1152 comments Nadine wrote: "For a beginner, I recommend an anthology, so you can sample a variety of styles. I thought this was a really good one: She Walks in Beauty: A Woman's Journey Through Poems collected by Caroline Kennedy (she's got several anthologies of poetry)."

I like this idea. Just put it on hold at the library. Thanks.

message 6: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 637 comments I like novels in verse. Ellen Hopkins does most (all?) of her books that way. She is excellent at it.

Raquel (Silver Valkyrie Reads) | 895 comments I'm bored by a lot of the famous poetry, but Garrison Keillor's collections have a higher than average rate of poems I 'get' and enjoy, especially this one:

Good Poems for Hard Times

Also, maybe try some story poems--I know Rudyard Kipling has some.

message 8: by Teri (new)

Teri (teria) | 1152 comments Turns out I just can't make myself read or like poetry much. Maybe next year.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 672 comments I am not a poetry fan but on a whim to broaden my reading I borrowed The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace. This series has been winning goodreads awards. It's a very quick read. I have since read other collections of her work.