Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Karly’s March Reads

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karly (new)

Karly | 302 comments Hello! Below are my March reads -

Gina Farina and the Prince of Mintz - Nancy Patz. 4 stars. This is definitely meant for children but my last name is Mintz so I had to! Pretty cute book. I may be bias though lol

Impossible Owls: Essays - Brian Phillips. 3 stars. First essay starts of strong with a lot of dry humor but they seem to go a bit down hill after that. It’s good but not so much so as to really hold my attention. Meh.

The Ladybird Book of the Quiet Night In - Jason Hazeley. 4 stars. A very funny, little book meant to parody the old ladybird books. Especially funny for my fellow introverts.

Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place - Terry Tempest Williams. 4 stars. A Non fiction telling of a woman going through various deaths in her family and how the birds of the Great Salt Lake helped her grieve. Some really poignant passages in this that were truly beautiful to me.

A Rule Against Murder (Gamache #4) - Louise Penny. 3 stars. Probably my least favorite Gamache story I’ve read thus far! I was looking forward to the usual characters of Three Pines that feel so warm and lovely to read about but was sad to discover this barely takes place there. This one just didn’t do it for me like some of the others.

Onward to April! Happy reading everyone!

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14208 comments Karly: Nice month, with an interesting variety, I am drawn to your description of Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place. Thanks for mentioning it.

message 3: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Karly wrote: ".The Ladybird Book of the Quiet Night In - Jason Hazeley. 4 stars. A very funny, little book meant to parody the old ladybird books. Especially funny for my fellow introverts.."

Karly, I’ve never heard of ladybird books. What are they?

message 4: by Karly (new)

Karly | 302 comments I hadn’t heard of them either- from what I gather, they are classic children’s books with very distinct illustrations. I think they are pretty popular in England.

Ann- I definitely recommend!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14208 comments Karly: I picked up Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family and Place at the library today. Now to find the time to read it, my print reading time is limited, it grabbed me in with the prologue.

Karly wrote: "Ann- I definitely recommend!"

message 6: by Karly (new)

Karly | 302 comments Let me know how you like it! The poem at the beginning is so beautiful- I made it my phone background!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14208 comments Karly: Yes! the Mary Oliver poem, Wild Geese, is lovely!