Friday Black Friday Black discussion

Has anyone read this yet?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel Matthews Hey, Just putting some feelers out there to see who's read this. Curious to hear some thought... maybe get a real discussion going.

Mike Phelan I got it as soon as it came out and loved it. By the second page Adjei-Brenyah had me sympathizing with a group of vigilante murderers. Highly recommended.

Rachel Matthews Yes, the first story was pretty intense. I like the collection as well, there were some stories that really resonated with me. I saw some people were equating his writing to Black Mirror too, which I found to be pretty accurate.

Peacejanz I loved it but will not recommend it to any of the book clubs I attend (only 3 and not all the time). I think there is some very good material to discuss but I think that those who know it, know it. Those who do not will not get it. This year I am pushing The Fire This Time, edited by Jesmyn Ward. Different writers with different viewpoints. It covers more than Friday Black in different ways. Same story - nothing new if you know it but Fire touched me more.

Rachel Matthews Peacejanz wrote: "I loved it but will not recommend it to any of the book clubs I attend (only 3 and not all the time). I think there is some very good material to discuss but I think that those who know it, know it..."

I agree, it was hyper focused- in a good way, but didn't capture the numerous voices of people of color. I'd recommend it but not to the faint of heart, it takes personal experience to really connect to the writing. I'll have to check out the book you referenced, seems like a great collection!