Jewish Historical Fiction discussion

The Meyersons of Meryton Book Launch

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mirta (last edited Apr 02, 2019 10:29AM) (new)

Mirta Trupp | 69 comments Mod
You are cordially invited to attend the book launching event of the season! Please join me, Sunday April 7th from 9-3 pm PST, for food and frolicking (virtual, of course!), interesting tidbits, giveaways, and a surprise or two! Feel free to pose a question, share your thoughts about Jane Austen Fan Fiction or simply stop in and say hello!

"The Meyersons of Meryton" coming to Amazon soon!

www.facebook.com/Mirtainestrupp

message 2: by Claudia (new)

Claudia Fabian | 4 comments Mirta Ines wrote: "You are cordially invited to attend the book launching event of the season! Please join me, Sunday April 7th from 9-3 pm PST, for food and frolicking (virtual, of course!), interesting tidbits, giv..."
Finally! I can't wait to read it!

message 3: by Mirta (new)

Mirta Trupp | 69 comments Mod
Claudia wrote: "Mirta Ines wrote: "You are cordially invited to attend the book launching event of the season! Please join me, Sunday April 7th from 9-3 pm PST, for food and frolicking (virtual, of course!), inter..."

I hope you enjoy it. It's right up your alley!

message 4: by Judy (new)

Judy Kleinman | 2 comments I'm a little late to the party...having just joined Goodreads. I want to share my review on this group:

Having just swallowed Trupp's novel whole, I want to write my review for THE MEYERSONS OF MERYTON- post haste, as it were- but feel the need to preface it with some background. I’m the chair for my Sisterhood's book club. We're a group of approximately fifty women of diverse ages and religious traditions, although the synagogue is affiliated with the Conservative movement. Getting fifty women to agree on one book has become a monumental task. As an aside, I can certainly sympathize with Miriam who had to lead the women with timbrels across the Red Sea. I struggle each month to lead these ladies into the library and choose a genre! We narrowed things down a bit and discovered that most of us are interested in historical Jewish fiction, but we want to steer away from Holocaust material. To my surprise (and delight), we have also discovered that the majority of us are fans of Jane Austen and the so called “period novel.”

Of course, there was debate on how much ‘history’ we wanted in our monthly historical fiction read. Understand: when I’m tasked with leading a group, I take that responsibility seriously! I joined Goodreads and I did some research on the subject. An article by Sarah Johnson entitled, “Defining the Genre: What are the rules for historical fiction?” states: ‘The goal of literary historical fiction is not to show readers exactly what life was like in a historical time period. Rather, authors who write literary historicals center their tales not on the historical setting but on the plot, which may help us better understand the differences (or parallels) between then and now, and on characters who manage to transcend time and speak to us from their own perspective in a way that we, today, can understand.’ I agreed with these assessments and shared this with the others. If we wanted facts and only facts, we’d read fictionalized textbooks. While I appreciate the research, I don’t believe novelists are supposed to be history teachers.

Having said all that, it was with GREAT delight that I came across Mirta Ines Trupp's Goodreads profile and found her book. Trupp has done her job as a novelist. She thoroughly researched her topic and was comfortable enough with the subject matter to be imaginative and inspiring. I was completely engaged. Reading a fan fiction novel, I was fully aware that the author was breathing new life into a most beloved story. Trupp's author notes were essential. Here is where her research and historical documentation proved that her leap of imagination, coupled with her honorable intentions to shed light on the diversity of the Jewish community, were solid and noteworthy. The Meyersons of Meryton checked all my boxes. This is a work of Jewish Historical Fiction that combines Jane Austen's classic novel with intrigue… and the Universal Truths of Faith, Trust and Hope.

Im off to finish Destiny by Design now.