Hugo & Nebula Awards: Best Novels discussion

The Magicians (The Magicians, #1)
This topic is about The Magicians
Random Chatter > The Magicians TV vs books

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kateblue | 3614 comments Mod
Stephen and pareidolia. About the Magicians. I gotta ask. The only way I can even stand to watch that show is to pretend that it is a totally different thing than the books (which I believe that it is). Then I think it's pretty good (except for what I consider some gross unnecessary violence IMHO).

But the entire show is different from the books. I was one of those people who kept saying, "Where's Janet!!!???"

So, did you guys read the books?

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin | 630 comments I've read book 1, but enjoy the show more than the books.

I do have to keep reminding myself that it is OK that none of the actors is giving Oscar-worthy performances. They aren't bad, but some of them have very little range. Oh well, not everyone can be Meryl Streep.

message 3: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed, Book 2 was actually my fave.

I'm glad you told me that the show veers away from the books in the second season, because I already think that it is not much like the books in season one.

The gouging out eyes thing just kind of got me, first run. My husband quit then, (he's really tenderhearted) and I quit soon after. Now I am slowly watching it on Netflix. And it I don't relate it to the book, I really think it is pretty good.

message 4: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin | 630 comments Kateblue wrote: "The gouging out eyes thing just kind of got me, first run...."

Better stay away from King Lear then. "Out, vile jelly!" is about the only line I remember from reading it in high school.

message 5: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (new) - rated it 5 stars

Oh, I can avoid Shakespeare any time. I always tell myself I should read them all. My mother read them all--In high school! But I never do

message 6: by Ed (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ed Erwin | 630 comments Kateblue wrote: "Oh, I can avoid Shakespeare any time."

The stories are great. The language is just too hard for me, though. Occasionally I can enjoy it in performance.

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 25 comments Book Three had a killer plot twist. And that plot twist came in on Season One. My bookclub meeting all hated the characters in the book but love the TV series characters. I really liked the books, but the show I love, This is the first season they have not beeped the language, but last years Beeping was the shortest beep ever!!! Big fan of the musical numbers ever since at a panel event at some Con the cast talked about how much fun they have doing it. Elliot is spot on.

pareidolia (Donna) | 34 comments I haven't read the books, so I don't have any comparison. I didn't expect much from the show, but it positively surprised me.
Maybe the acting is a bit wooden at times, but I watched most of it in dubbing, maybe that made up for some things.

message 9: by Kateblue, 2nd star to the right and straight on til morning (last edited Apr 02, 2019 04:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yes, Ed, I agree that Shakespeare can be enjoyable in performance. I remember I was flabbergasted when I found out the The Taming of the Shrew with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor in it was the actual play itself. With great actors, you just hear the story.

The Magician books are some of my favorite books ever. Narnia and Hogwart's for adults. I didn't like book three when I first read it, but then I decided it was great. Besides, it opens the door for a whole other series of books if he wants. But I don't think he wants. He hasn't written a novel since. I do wonder, sometimes, what he is doing. (He's worked for big magazines and stuff)

What I see is, the book characters are somewhat inconsistent, but maybe that helps make what happens in the books so unexpected. Looking back at it, I now realize why people gripe about Quentin being whiny, but I didn't really notice it when I was reading the books. Alice is too much of a pushover until she decides she will never forgive Quentin for Janet and then is a flaming B. And I can see why nobody liked Janet. But I still loved them all.

I am in the middle of Season one, so I have not gotten to the musical numbers yet. I keep watching other stuff, like Passages and Whispering Pines (my next Hulu choice) and The Gifted, even though I am tired of the Gifted's characters. I swear, if they don't answer some of the questions on Manifest by the end of the season, I'm not watching season 2. I just watched the first episode of something else that Fox apparently cancelled after 1 season. Really, why does anyone ever sell a SciFi or Fantasy show to them??

Now I am going to go watch the finale of The Walking Dead Season 9, which is waiting for me on my DVR. Later!