Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

SF&F Awards > 2019 Hugo Award Winners Announced

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 06, 2019 08:54AM) (new)

Hugo Award Logo  
The nominees for the 2019 Hugo Awards (for SF&F works of 2018) have been announced:

Best Novel Finalists:

The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal

Record of a Spaceborn Few (Wayfarers, #3) by Becky Chambers Record of a Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers

Revenant Gun (The Machineries of Empire, #3) by Yoon Ha Lee Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee

Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente

Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik

Trail of Lightning (The Sixth World, #1) by Rebecca Roanhorse Trail of Lightning by Rebecca Roanhorse

Best Novella Finalists:

Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire

The Night Masquerade (Binti, #3) by Nnedi Okorafor The Night Masquerade by Nnedi Okorafor

The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark The Black God's Drums by P. Djèlí Clark

Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson Gods, Monsters, and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson

The Tea Master and the Detective (The Universe of Xuya) by Aliette de Bodard The Tea Master and the Detective by Aliette de Bodard

Best Novelette Finalists:
“If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again,” by Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog, 29 November 2018)
The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com, 11 July 2018)
Nine Last Days on Planet Earth” by Daryl Gregory (Tor.com, 19 September 2018)
"The Only Harmless Great Thing" by Brooke Bolander (Tor.com Publishing)
“The Thing About Ghost Stories,” by Naomi Kritzer ( Uncanny Magazine 25, November-December 2018)
“When We Were Starless,” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld Magazine 145, October 2018)

Best Short Story Finalists:
“The Court Magician,” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed magazine, January 2018)
“The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society,” by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine 25, November-December 2018)
“The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington,” by P. Djèlí Clark (Fireside Magazine, February 2018)
“STET,” by Sarah Gailey (Fireside Magazine, October 2018)
“The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat,” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine 23, July-August 2018)
“A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies,” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, February 2018)

Best Series Finalists:
The Centenal Cycle by Malka Older
The Laundry Files by Charles Stross
Machineries of Empire by Yoon Ha Lee
The October Daye Series by Seanan McGuire
The Universe of Xuya by Aliette de Bodard
Wayfarers by Becky Chambers

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer Finalists: ("not a Hugo")
Katherine Arden
S.A. Chakraborty
R.F. Kuang
Jeannette Ng
Vina Jie-Min Prasad
Rivers Solomon

Hugo Awards are presented annually, selected by the members & supporters of that year's WorldCon (Dublin this year.) You can find a full list of all nominees in all other categories at the Hugo Awards website, including the retro-1944 Hugos. You can watch Video of Announcement from Dublin. The Winners will be announced at WorldCon 77 in Dublin, August 15-19.

message 2: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 02, 2019 09:57AM) (new)

Whose idea was it to announce the finalists on a Tuesday? The Hugos are allergic to publicity.

I'll add links to those stories that can be read free on-line when I have some time to track them down.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

I notice once again the paid magazines (Analog, Asimov & F&SF) are shut out of story nominees. It seems you have to make the stories free to get enough audience. On the flip side, Tor's paid novella & novelettes seem to be doing quite well.

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2567 comments G33z3r wrote: "I notice once again the paid magazines (Analog, Asimov & F&SF) are shut out of story nominees. It seems you have to make the stories free to get enough audience. On the flip side, Tor's paid novell..."

Though they did offer "The Only Harmless Great Thing" for free one month.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

As promised, here are the links to the novelettes & short stories published on-line:

Best Novelette Finalists:

“If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again,” by Zen Cho ( B&N Blog)

“The Last Banquet of Temporal Confections” by Tina Connolly (Tor.com)

“Nine Last Days on Planet Earth" by Daryl Gregory (Tor.com)

“The Thing About Ghost Stories,” by Naomi Kritzer (Uncanny Magazine)

“When We Were Starless,” by Simone Heller (Clarkesworld Magazine)

(Note: "The Only Harmless Great Thing" by Brooke Bolander is the only novelette finalist not available on-line)

Best Short Story Finalists:

“The Court Magician,” by Sarah Pinsker (Lightspeed magazine)

“The Rose MacGregor Drinking and Admiration Society,” by T. Kingfisher (Uncanny Magazine)

“The Secret Lives of the Nine Negro Teeth of George Washington,” by P. Djèlí Clark (Fireside Magazine)

“STET,” by Sarah Gailey (Fireside Magazine, October 2018) Fireside Magazine

“The Tale of the Three Beautiful Raptor Sisters, and the Prince Who Was Made of Meat,” by Brooke Bolander (Uncanny Magazine 23, July-August 2018) Uncanny Magazine

“A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies,” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, February 2018) Apex Magazine

None of the novellas were published on-line. (For Dublin Worldcon members, they'll probably be in the Hugo packet somewhere in June or July.)

I also added the links to my original listing.

message 6: by Clare (last edited May 13, 2019 12:47AM) (new)

Clare O'Beara | 1142 comments Hi, I have just got my Hugo downloads packet. Took up quite a few gigabytes I must say. Some of the books are available through Net Galley only which means the copy will expire.
I have not read much of the material, so I am looking forward to getting stuck in.

Beside the reading, at the recent meetup for the Worldcon organisers, I agreed to be the MacGuyver for the Hugo Awards. Who knows what strange problems I'll have to solve using only a sparkplug, a safety pin and a toothbrush.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Clare wrote: "Hi, I have just got my Hugo downloads packet. Took up quite a few gigabytes I must say. Some of the books are available through Net Galley only which means the copy will expire.
I have not read mu..."

I got my Hugo Ballot over the weekend. (I downloaded about 10GB of the packet, though as usual I already bought & read most of the major works. I will enjoy a couple of the "realted works" books (already had Astounding: John W. Campbell, Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, L. Ron Hubbard, and the Golden Age of Science Fiction but will enjoy the Le Guin and Walton books, and in the Art Book category the Earthsea artbook. )

There's an abundance of great reads to vote for this year, especially novels & series.

message 8: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 1142 comments Wow, I have just unpacketed my packet and downloaded my Net Galley downloads. Looks like I won't have to buy books all year. Got to get those marks in though. I'll need to start reading.

They do look good.
Annoyingly I have not read any of the retro Hugo nominee works and of course, they are not in the packet.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Hugo Award Logo  
The winners of the 2019 Hugo Awards (for SF&F works of 2018) have been announced:

Best Novel:

The Calculating Stars (Lady Astronaut, #1) by Mary Robinette Kowal The Calculating Stars by Mary Robinette Kowal

Best Novella:

Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2) by Martha Wells Artificial Condition by Martha Wells

Best Novelette:
“If at First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again,” by Zen Cho (B&N Sci-Fi and Fantasy Blog, 29 November 2018)

Best Short Story:
“A Witch’s Guide to Escape: A Practical Compendium of Portal Fantasies,” by Alix E. Harrow (Apex Magazine, February 2018)

Best Series:
Wayfarers by Becky Chambers

John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer Finalists: ("not a Hugo")
Jeannette Ng

Hugo Awards are presented annually, selected by the members & supporters of that year's WorldCon (Dublin this year.) You can find a full list of all winners & nominees in all other categories at the Hugo Awards website, including the retro-1944 Hugos. The Winners were be announced at WorldCon 77 in Dublin this weekend.

message 10: by Clare (new)

Clare O'Beara | 1142 comments I was there!
The beautiful trophies were designed by Jim Fitzpatrick and contain Celtic spirals from Newgrange.
The artist very kindly participated in three panels over the Con and I was invited to film all of them.