Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Blindness
This topic is about Blindness
Monthly Book Reads > Blindness - April 2019

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Darren (dazburns) | 704 comments Mod
In April we will be reading Blindness by José Saramago in our Sci-Fi & Fantasy category - who's in?

message 2: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments So I started this on Saturday evening and stayed up until the early hours to finish it.

Firstly it was a plain old good dystopian novel which is a genre I love so it was a real page turner for me. As I sat and thought about it though the piece as a allegory for human nature sunk in more.

I loved it and it and it's definitely going on my list of favourites. I have the second book locked and loaded on my Kindle.

However...........I know that this is going to be one of those books that is marmite and a lot of you won't agree with me.

It is very dark and harrowing in content. There is a lot of sex, defecation and violence (which is all relevant to what the author is trying to put across but if you find that kind of thing distasteful you find it distasteful and there is no amount of justification that is going to make you enjoy reading about this kind of thing).

It's also very "literary" in style. None of the characters are actually named and all have monikers such as "The Girl With Dark Glasses" or "The First Blind Man". There is no punctuation around speech either which mimics the loss and confusion the characters are feeling in their newly blind world, but again, if you like to clearly know who is speaking and when and this kind of device bugs you - it will bug you.

Because I read so much I only ever find 2 or 3 books a year that I get really really excited about and push on people and this is my first this year (last year's included Money, American Psycho and Fight Club and now I am adding this to my hallowed vaults I am beginning to think there may be something quite disturbing about me.......)

Hurry guys so I can hear what some one else thought!

message 3: by Fay (new) - added it

Fay Roberts | 363 comments So weirdly I have started reading Day of the Triffids not knowing anything about it to find another civilisation has gone Blind! Strangely the Brits in the 50s are much more civilised so far........But I’m only 17% in

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 565 comments Fay wrote: "Hurry guys so I can hear what some one else thought! ...."

I read it some time ago--I agree with you; I thought it was great. Unfortunately, I've not found another Saramago yet that I thought was even half as good. I still need to try Seeing, though I don't know how much of a 'sequel' it really is.

started this this morning
50 pages in and early signs good...

I'm about half way
seems like a fairly standard apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic
ok, but not getting over-excited...

Leslie | 825 comments I read this a while ago -- in the end I liked it more than I thought that I would in the beginning. I found the existential aspects of the 'apocalypse' very European but the way the government/military responded to the events were thought-provoking.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blindness (other topics)