Queens of the Realm Book Club 2019 discussion

Jade City > Jade City Discussion (Non-Spoiler)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christopher (new)

Christopher | 31 comments Mod
Hello all, this is the space for you to post all your non-spoiler thoughts and impressions of the book. I'm going the audio book route with this one, as soon as I finish March's pick on audiobook (insert sweaty brow emoji here). Can't wait to see what everyone thinks! Cheers! :)

message 2: by Christopher (last edited Apr 29, 2019 07:49PM) (new)

Okay, I tried all month long to get into this one, and I just really couldn't. Now in all fairness to the book, I should note that I was trying with the audio version. Maybe reading it would have been a better experience. But I could not find myself locking in with this one. The way action sequences were described bored me. The characters instantly put me off, not because they were instantly unlikable, but because they felt wooden and stiff. I found the setting very difficult to visualize (which is a big deal for me in fantasy). So I made it six hours into the audiobook before deciding to DNF. And to be honest, the decision to DNF wasn't easy. Not because the book gave me glimmers of hope. But because this makes the third bookclub book I have DNFed. And I feel guilty, because I want to engage on here about the books and have conversations, hence why I started the club. But, I forced myself to finish January's pick for the sake of engagement, and it honestly made me hate reading for a good week. So, I've decided that while I obviously want to be better about being active on here, it's really not worth forcing myself to finish a book that is bringing me no joy. Anyway, I've already started a little bit of next months read, and I'm already finding it more engaging than Jade City. The tone and the pace is already more my speed. I've got my fingers crossed for May that I'm going to like the book and have good conversations about it. :)

message 3: by Sophie (last edited May 01, 2019 05:15AM) (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 5 comments It's always hard to DNF something you feel like has a lot to offer but you just can't manage to get it. I've just paused Black Leopard Red Wolf for the same reason. It's an awesome book but I still feel like I don't know where it's going after 200 pages and it is very slow.
I'll still try Jade City. Good luck with the next one!

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Sophie wrote: "It's always hard to DNF something you feel like has a lot to offer but you just can't manage to get it. I've just paused Black Leopard Red Wolf for the same reason. It's an awesome book but I still..."

Yes, I tried Black Leopard Red Wolf in print and found it very difficult to get into. So I've got a hold on it from the library for audio, and I'll see if I get on with it in that format. I hate when that happens though... when a books is not bad but not engaging. It makes the me so much more conflicted about DNFing. And so many fantasy books are so long that if it's not doing it for me after 200 pages, it's hard for me to justify giving a book another 600-800 pages to wow me.

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (romeowyn) | 5 comments Christopher wrote: "Sophie wrote: "It's always hard to DNF something you feel like has a lot to offer but you just can't manage to get it. I've just paused Black Leopard Red Wolf for the same reason. It's an awesome b..."
Yep, especially when you're already in an intense work/personal life period when you want to read for escapism/joy/laughter. Sometimes my brain is just not up to reading profound literature ;)