The Sword and Laser discussion

Michael J. Sullivan
This topic is about Michael J. Sullivan
145 views
Theft of Swords > ToS: Ask The Author: Michael J. Sullivan (Mark Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Apr 02, 2019 06:22AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6782 comments Mod
Michael J. Sullivan has offered to answer any questions you may have about Theft of Swords, or any of his other books, or writing, or publishing, etc

Please you mark your spoilers if asking about plot points of any of his books.


message 2: by Bob (new)

Bob (quasichaos) | 10 comments Well, I just have to say Michael J. Sullivan is one cool cat to join in on this little community! (Although, Rob, you may want to spell his name correctly in the topic title...a before e, ya know ;) )

Just wanted to say after reading only 10 pages so far, I'm really stoked about this book!

Thanks, Michael!


message 3: by Bob (new)

Bob (quasichaos) | 10 comments Good job, Rob! On top of things as always!


message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8471 comments It’s the Bob & Rob Show, here on the morning zooOOoo!

Okay, now that’s out of my system...

I’m curious about the omnibus thing. Was this an idea from the publisher? It’s kind of the reverse LotR, where they broke Tolkien’s book into easier-to-publish chunks.


message 5: by AndrewP (last edited Apr 03, 2019 05:00PM) (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2479 comments Trike wrote: "I’m curious about the omnibus thing. Was this an idea from the publisher? It’s kind of the reverse LotR,..."

It could be because Orbit was originally a UK publisher and that kind of consolidation is more common there. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of other examples: Raymond E Feist's Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master was published as one massive book just called Magician in the UK containing both volumes. Similarly, The War of Powers was published as 2 volumes in the UK but 6 in the USA.


message 6: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3948 comments Okay, I've got a silly one. Noting that you wrote this book to appeal to your daughter, are there in jokes in it? Long around the 26% mark of the book is a reference to the exotic port city of Tur Del Fur. My brain immediately read that as "turtle fur." Is that an in joke? Or if it isn't, are there other in jokes in the book?


message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron (oldwindways) | 127 comments Trike wrote: "It’s the Bob & Rob Show, here on the morning zooOOoo!

Okay, now that’s out of my system...

I’m curious about the omnibus thing. Was this an idea from the publisher? It’s kind of the reverse LotR,..."


This was almost exactly the comparison I made in my head when I heard it was 6 books that were published as 3 volumes of 2 each. As I remember it, LotR is also 6 books, but I have never seen it published that way; always 3 volumes of 2 books each (or rarely perhaps as a single massive tome).


message 8: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments Bob wrote: "Well, I just have to say Michael J. Sullivan is one cool cat to join in on this little community! (Although, Rob, you may want to spell his name correctly in the topic title...a before e, ya know ;) )

Just wanted to say after reading only 10 pages so far, I'm really stoked about this book!

Thanks, Michael! "


It's a pleasure to be here. I'm glad you are liking the read so far!


message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments Trike wrote: "I’m curious about the omnibus thing. Was this an idea from the publisher? It’s kind of the reverse LotR, where they broke Tolkien’s book into easier-to-publish chunks.

It was Orbit's idea. I think there were several reasons for it. (1) It made it easier for the bookstores to have all 3 books on the shelf - they thought it would be difficult if book #3 or #2 was missing because bookstores would have been hard-pressed to have all six at any given time. And (2) when it comes to "epic fantasy" those books tended to be on the small side (95,000 for each of the first two, and only the last book had a lot of heft (166,000). By combining them it made the book more like their competition. And (3) I think they were more comfortable with a 2 for 1 deal when selling books by a previously self-published author when priced at a higher price point.


message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments AndrewP wrote: "It could be because Orbit was originally a UK publisher and that kind of consolidation is more common there. Off the top of my head I can think of a couple of other examples: Raymond E Feist's Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master was published as one massive book just called Magician in the UK containing both volumes. Similarly, The War of Powers was published as 2 volumes in the UK but 6 in the USA."

It's possible, although they didn't mention that as a reason.


message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Okay, I've got a silly one. Noting that you wrote this book to appeal to your daughter, are there in jokes in it? Long around the 26% mark of the book is a reference to the exotic port city of Tur Del Fur. My brain immediately read that as "turtle fur." Is that an in joke? Or if it isn't, are there other in jokes in the book? "

So humor plays a big role in the books. One of the things that I don't like about some traditional fantasy is that everything is so
dire all the time. But, no there wasn't anything particular for her. She was 13 when the first book was written and 19 when the first book was published, so it's not like she was a 8 or 9 or anything like that. My main goal was to write something she would find to be an enjoyable read. And as these are some of her favorite books, I think I cleared that bar. Thanks for asking!


message 12: by Priscilla (new)

Priscilla (gcrokzzzzz) | 44 comments Did you know who you wanted the party of travelers to be from the get-go or did you start writing and the group just sort of presented themselves to you?

They’re such an unlikely group and I’m loving their interactions so much!


message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael (michaeljsullivan) | 112 comments Hey Priscila, thanks for asking. Long ago, in my first attempt at publishing, I tended to be a "pantzer" - meaning writing by the seat of your pants. And that led me to a few uncompleted novels as I wrote myself into corners. When I started my second trip at publishing (the one that got me released) I had transitioned to writing outlines (although my outlines do change over time). So to get back to your question. Yes, I knew who was going long before they set out.

Glad you are enjoying the reads!


back to top