The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret
Autobio of St. Anthony Claret > 4. Favorite Quotes

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1810 comments Mod
4. Please share your favorite quotes here.

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments I would rather have them know a little less and be pious, than to know a great deal with little or no piety and be puffed up with the wind of Vanity

Steven R. McEvoy (srmcevoy) | 64 comments "I would not have attempted this work had I not been ordered to do it. It is in virtue of holy obedience, then, that I write it, and impelled by the same motive of obedience, I shall bring to light things which I should otherwise wish to remain forever unknown. However, may it all be for the greater honor and glory of God and of our Most Blessed Lady, my sweet Mother, and for the confusion of this miserable sinner."

This really impacted me. Especially as I approach the half century, I find I am more and more aware of my failings and faults. But his view of self is true to the spirit.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1388 comments Mod
Paragraph 310 is an excellent praise of good books:

Not everyone wishes to or is able to hear the Word of God, but everyone can read or listen to the reading of a good book. Not everyone can go to church to hear God's Word, but a book can go to a person's house. The preacher can't always be preaching, but a book is always delivering the same message tirelessly and is always willing to repeat what it says. It is not offended if its reader picks it up and puts it down a thousand times. It is always ready to accommodate itself to the wishes of its reader.

message 5: by Manuel (last edited Apr 05, 2019 08:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paragraphs 414-415 are a very good defense of mortification:

1. One who mortifies his body to check concupiscence performs an act of the virtue of temperance.

2. If he does so to set his life in proper order, he performs an act of the virtue of prudence.

3. If he does so to make satisfaction for his past sins, he performs an act of justice.

4. If he does so to overcome difficulties in his spiritual life, he performs an act of fortitude.

5. If he does so to offer sacrifice to God by depriving himself of something pleasant and doing something bitter or repugnant to himself, he performs an act of the virtue of religion.

6. If he does so to receive greater enlightenment in understanding the attributes of God, he performs an act of faith.

7. If he does so to make his salvation more secure, he performs an act of hope.

8. If he does so to help convert sinners or to free the souls in purgatory, he performs an act of fraternal charity.

9. If he does so to have more to give the poor, he performs an act of the virtue of mercy.

10. If he does so to please God more and more, he performs an act of love of God.

message 6: by Manuel (last edited Apr 07, 2019 08:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paragraph 399:

I didn't care for reading newspapers and would say that I preferred reading a chapter from the Holy Bible, in which I would read the truth, to reading newspapers, which are ordinarily full of lies and trivia.

See also paragraph 451.

message 7: by MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) (last edited Apr 06, 2019 01:40AM) (new) - added it

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) I also like Tania's quote. I don't know how to copy and paste on my android, so I couldn't re-quote it.

This really spoke to me. We once had a priest who was very smart, but was puffed up with Vanity. The next priest did not show his intelligence in the same way, what affected us all with his humility and piety.

message 8: by Mariangel (last edited Apr 07, 2019 05:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariangel | 504 comments 12-13: "When I see how easily one can sin, as easily as drinking a glass of water [...] I cannot rest, I have to run and shout, I say to myself: If I saw someone about to fall into a well, a fire, I'd surely run and shout to warn him and save him from falling. Why won't I do the same to save him from falling into the well and fire of hell? And I cannot understand that other priests, who believe the same truths that I believe and we all must believe, do not preach and exhort to prevent people from falling into hell."

17: "If a son had a good father and saw him mistreated, wouldn't he defend him? [...] Then, what must I do for my Father's honor, who so easily is being offended and taken back to Calvary to be crucified again by sin, as St. Paul says? Wouldn't keeping silence be a crime?"

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments Look what he writes in 343... “I am who am, and you are who are not; you are nothing and less than nothing, since nothingness has not sinned and you have “

Crude and true ... he imagines what God may answer and compares himself with less that nothingness ... even though the Lord is merciful, and loving I can’t stop thinking we think to much of ourselves...

Mariangel | 504 comments 450. "Divine word brought all things out of nothing. The divine word of Jesus Christ restored all things. Jesus Christ said to the Apostles: Euntes in mundum universum, praedicate evangelium omni creaturae. Saint Paul told his disciple Timothy: Praedica Verbum.. Society is perishing for the sole reason that it has taken away the Church's word, which is the word of life, the word of God. Societies are faltering and hungry since they are not receiving the daily bread of the word of God. Every plan of salvation will be sterile if the great Catholic word is not fully restored."

451. "The right to speak and to teach, which the Church has received from God Himself in the persons of the Apostles, has been usurped by a mob of obscure journalists and ignorant charlatans."

452. ... "As nothing and nobody could contain the triumph [of the word] in Apostolic times, nothing and nobody will contain its ravages of today if it is not confronted by the preaching of Priests, by a great abundance of good books and other saintly and salutary writings."

message 11: by Manuel (last edited Apr 13, 2019 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariangel wrote: "450. "Divine word brought all things out of nothing. The divine word of Jesus Christ restored all things. Jesus Christ said to the Apostles: Euntes in mundum universum, praedicate evangelium omni creaturae."

This is mostly forgotten today, when some missionaries say that they are just helping people, but can't predicate the Gospel, so as not to interfere with their culture.

Steven R. McEvoy (srmcevoy) | 64 comments If people read good and instructive books at regular and proper times, it will strengthen and nourish them greatly. But if they read bad books, indecent newspapers and magazines, heretical booklets, and other pernicious literature, these things will corrupt their faith and pervert their morals. Bad books first insinuate themselves by darkening the understanding, then by corrupting the heart, and then from a corrupt heart come forth all kinds of evils, as Our Lord Jesus Christ says.

Claret, St. Anthony Mary. The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret (p. 88). TAN Books. Kindle Edition.

Steven R. McEvoy (srmcevoy) | 64 comments The preacher cannot always be preaching, but the book can always be conveying the same message, for it never tires. It is always ready to repeat over and over again what it said in the beginning. No matter if people read little or much, it is never offended. It is the same today, tomorrow, and always, and ever accommodates itself to the will and disposition of the reader.

Claret, St. Anthony Mary. The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret (p. 88). TAN Books. Kindle Edition.

Steven R. McEvoy (srmcevoy) | 64 comments ... when people hear the same thing said again, no matter how briefly, they are more vividly impressed by its truth, for as St. Alphonsus de Liguori says, simple people have heads as hard as wood, and in order to make them remember and understand anything well, one has to hammer it in by repetition.

Claret, St. Anthony Mary. The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret (p. 83). TAN Books. Kindle Edition.

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments “I will think of my heart as the room in which Jesus is seated, of my soul as sitting at his feet like Mary, and my body as busy about the house like Martha, performing the duties of my ministry, to serve them up as a delicious repast for Jesus.”