The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret
Autobio of St. Anthony Claret > 3. The Life of St. Anthony Mary Claret

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1856 comments Mod
3. Share your thoughts about St. Anthony Mary Caret. What did you know about him prior to reading the book? What are the most notable features of his personality?

message 2: by MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) (last edited Apr 06, 2019 01:53AM) (new) - added it

MaryAnn (EmilyD1037) I knew nothing about him before the book.

When I read about all the Saints who came from pious families and how they are so gifted with devotion and unquestioning faith, I always regret my hedonistic upbringing. I would love to be so trusting and to not have to suffer the consequences of my youth and ignorance of Catholicism.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill A. | 665 comments But you have the advantage of coming to faith "fresh" instead of sliding over the familiar without noticing it.

Mariangel | 534 comments Prior to reading the book, I knew that he was born in Catalonia, founded the Claretian missionaries, traveled all around Spain preaching, and was the confessor of queen Isabel the Second.

I didn't know about the multiple assassination attempts that have been mentioned in one of these posts.

I had heard his name, but knew nothing about him.

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments I had heard his name too, but I had no idea of his work.
It truly surprised me the integrity, humility and care he showed to people. How difficult traveling in Cuba must be in his time and he crossed all the cities and parishes 4 times! That is called preaching, teaching and setting example.

How interested he was in the well being of inhabitants of the island! It does called my attention, that he created a system where he help poor people, they worked 1 hour and the savings were giving to them when it was time for leaving the property. How about that!

Manuel Alfonseca | 1437 comments Mod
I did know Claret and the Claretians, but didn't know so many details about his life and works.

Manuel wrote: "I did know Claret and the Claretians, but didn't know so many details about his life and works."

I had heard his name and had heard of the Claretans, but couldn't have placed him in either a time or place. It is very interesting reading about him.

message 9: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine Myers | 245 comments I've had some trouble getting into this book, but I am quite impressed that he memorized the Catechism. Wonder if it was like our old Baltimore Catechism--we had to memorize the answers, but not all at once!

Manuel Alfonseca | 1437 comments Mod
Madeleine wrote: "I've had some trouble getting into this book, but I am quite impressed that he memorized the Catechism. Wonder if it was like our old Baltimore Catechism--we had to memorize the answers, but not al..."

Well, I memorized the Catechism when I was a boy, but it wasn't the current Catechism of the Catholic Church (edited by Ratzinger), but a much smaller booklet with about 100 questions & answers. I remember the teacher required us to know the answers, but I also knew the questions by heart (:-)