The Catholic Book Club discussion

The Autobiography of St. Anthony Mary Claret
Autobio of St. Anthony Claret > 2. Church Triumphant

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

John Seymour | 1858 comments Mod
2. We have read several biographies and autobiographies of saints in this group: St. Thomas Aquinas, St. Catherine of Sienna, St. Teresa of Avila, and St. Maria Faustina Kowalska since moving here to Goodreads. No doubt most of us have read others outside of this group and some of us have probably read many others. What commonalities do you see among the saints whose biographies or autobiographies you've read? What parallels in the life of St. Anthony Mary Claret do you see in other biographies or autobiographies that you've read?

Manuel Alfonseca | 1438 comments Mod
I can see a parallel between Claret's life and this club (:-) He had read the same biographies of saints. In fact, in paragraphs 235-238 he discusses the life of St. Catherine of Sienna, and in p. 242-258 the life (autobiography) of St. Teresa, which we also read here. St. Teresa, like Claret, also wrote his book prompted by obedience (in her case to her spiritual director).

He couldn't have read Chesterton's life of St. Thomas Aquinas, which was not written until after his death. The same applies to St. M.F.Kowalska.

John Seymour | 1858 comments Mod
Like Catherine and Maria Faustina, Claret seems to have been motivated largely by a passionate desire to save souls from going to hell. Like Catherine, he seems tireless and also very attached to ascetical practices that I think would generally be viewed as extreme today - the hair shirt and discipline, which I take to be self-flogging.

Manuel Alfonseca | 1438 comments Mod
John wrote: "...he seems tireless and also very attached to ascetical practices that I think would generally be viewed as extreme today - the hair shirt and discipline, which I take to be self-flogging."

Right, he says somewhere that by "discipline" he means self-flogging.

message 5: by Tania (last edited Apr 24, 2019 07:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tania (tmartnez) | 105 comments I attended a jesuit high school - in my early years I attended a school whose patron is San José de Calasanz-. I know the story of San Ignacio de Loyola by heart, and the students are familiar with the spiritual exercises. Even though I believe the people these both saints were directing their preaching was different, they had this strong calling of serving God and this necessity of preaching and teaching the Gospel.