The Fairy Book Club discussion

APR/MAY 19 - Brick Lane > Brick Lane - Book Discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 61 comments Mod
This is a place for you to discuss the book. Your thoughts, opinions, shocking moments, revealing moments, favourite quotes, etc. Whatever strikes your fancy in a good or a bad way, please let us know about it here.

There may be a few discussion questions thrown in at random as well. So keep your eyes on this topic!

=====================

If you are further along in the book and/or want to discuss something that might be a spoiler for slower readers or those who haven't started the book yet, please put it between spoiler tags. Thank you!

This is how they work:
<*spoiler>your text here<*/spoiler>

(Remove the * when you use these tags.)

Example:
Oh my god, can you believe that (view spoiler).

message 2: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 61 comments Mod
Books are slowly making their way into people's hands, one way or another, and we're slowly beginning to think about starting this one if we haven't already.

Going into the book, do you have any particular expectations? What is it about this book that makes you want to read it?

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments I’ve got the book now and will hopefully start soon

The book fairy introduction drew me in aswell as wanting to know more about Bangladeshi life and liking the fact that few of us can discuss it

Have you figured out why when posting a comment, some of the words do a magic trick and disappear 🤔

message 4: by Ester (new)

Ester Litago Rabasco (estercristinanoelia) | 85 comments Tengo problemas con la traducción, lo comienzo de nuevo :(

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments She overhears him saying...her hips are a bit narrow

She replies in her mind...it would be possible to tuck all your 100 pens and pencils under those rolls and keep them safe and tight...you could stuff a book or two up there aswell

For all that has happened to her so far, this feisty side made me smile

message 6: by Annemette (new)

Annemette | 28 comments I just finished the book, and I honestly don't know how I feel about it! I liked the setting, I enjoyed the descriptions of the different environment, but I really struggled with the main character, Nazneen.. I actually didn't really care for her, I don't really know how to describe why, but I think it is because she is so passive! All the time! Okay, it gets better in the end, but for the first almost 200 pages, she's just... passive, and it annoys me! And I don't think it is because she's suppressed, maybe more depressed? I'm glad I read the book, but I don't think I ever will read it again.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments I’m only up to page 151 where she ever so casually drops BIG news into the conversation. That little dialogue that follows to me says quite a lot
I like her...so far...

message 8: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments I’m now up to page 299. Reading rather slow as I’m listening to another book that takes quite a bit of concentration - The Shadow Effect....

I do like Nazeen. In her quiet way, usually in her thoughts, she’s quite sassy and I look forward to seeing how this comes out in her life....

Enjoying the author’s style too. It’s so very full. She describes a moment with Raquib “He watched it devotedly. He became its disciple. For its sake, he would sacrifice everything.” I won’t spoil this but when you read what that relates to, you see she captures how a baby/ young child responds perfectly..........

message 9: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments Ha I’ve found a way of not losing some of my comments after I post it - use dots....

message 10: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments Oh and other parts I’m enjoying are the author giving baby Raqib a ‘voice’. He makes me smile. Nazneen bounced Raquib on her knee. He looked round as if to say, do you mind?....

Raqib clapped his fat hands to summon the servants who were surely in the kitchen....

His father said something and Raqib thought this conclusion unsatisfactory...

There have been a number of his thoughts that have made me smile

For all that Nazneen tries to stay hidden, she observes much ie the conclusion about Dr Azad’s visits to her home...

Are many people reading this.....

message 11: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments I can’t remember how to do the spoiler thing so I’ll just say it was good to read page 379 to 382 about Nazneen’s...well I better hadn’t say 😀...

Arhh just thinking the page numbers may differ as I’m reading with a kindle. The section starts...’Abba did not choose so badly...’...

message 12: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 37 comments When I read Nanzeen entered the lunatic’s room and what followed, I thought I swiped over a few too many pages so had missed something...,

....but the answer came shortly....sad....made the previous pages made sense....

....joy followed but then .... just in case people not up to this part, I’ll stop there....

Anybody had any similar thoughts....

message 13: by Cordelia (new)

Cordelia (cordeliareads) | 324 comments Mod
Did anyone else have something to add about Brick Lane? :)