The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Fellowship of the Ring question

What book changed you life?
Tina Mati Tina Apr 02, 2019 02:35AM
What book changed your life, your perspective, your vision, your dreams, your personality? Books can certainly inspire us, as do our book heros...they simply make us wanna become best versions of ourselves. So i want to know, what book did this trick for you?

For me, it was Lord of the Rings and Screwtape letters by C.S.Lewis....

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“When two humans have lived together for many years it usually happens that each has tones of voice and expressions of face which are almost unendurably irritating to the other. Work on that. Bring fully into the consciousness of your patient that particular lift of his mother's eyebrows which he learned to dislike in the nursery, and let him think how much he dislikes it. Let him assume that she knows how annoying it is and does it to annoy - if you know your job he will not notice the immense improbability of the assumption. And, of course, never let him suspect that he has tones and looks which similarly annoy her. As he cannot see or hear himself, this easily managed.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letter

Yes, the Lord of the Rings trilogy is one of my favorite ever book series.
I also love Narnia. One of my favorite parts is when Edmund asks Aslan if he's in their world too, and Aslans says, yes, "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. That was the very reason you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
That should be, in the end, the ultimate goal of all fiction--to bring us closer to Jesus, to transport us through our imagination to a fictional world, which in turn helps us "know Him better" here in our world.

The book that gave me a true love of reading was The Crucible. It was assigned to me in school, and I fell in love with the main character arc and storytelling.

How many appreciate moral obstacles/dilemmas in similar works?

the princess bride. i felt like it was writen for me. I suddenly didnt feel so alone.

The Lord of the rings and The Hobbit are the best books of all time. I am the only person in my family besides my parents who have read The Appendices of LOTR.

Just Ella. It is a little known Scholastic book. The thing that resonated with me the most was a moment near the end. She realizes happiness is like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.
It is such a simple message but one that burrowed in me and never left.

The little prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry. I first read it in my early teens, which were clouded with depression and anxiety. The book gave me a different perspective of the world and life in general. As we grow into adulthood we seem to forget some of the important things. It reminded me of how precious time and childhood really is. Once in a while i pick it up and read it, it helps me find the colours in a world that usually look quite grey.

Nathan Leon One of my faves as well! I loved it as a kid, and I loved it even more when I shared it with mine.
Feb 11, 2020 11:34AM · flag

I was in primary school and found a book called 'Private Keep Out'. Gwen Taylor. Changed reading habits, my love of books started and I kept a diary ever after. It's helped me with my mental health problems and has also helped my psychiatrist could understand what I have been through.

I think any book has the power to impact you, whether it be through good writing, character development, setting anything really. I have read many books that impacted me. Here are just 3 of the very long list.

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood - Words can not describe how much this book took a toll on me. The way Gilead is seen is so life like and the feeling that this could happen chills any reader. The Handmaid's tale is a strong spirited book and gave me the hope that yes in the worst of times, when death seems like the only option we need to realise that we can hold our heads high and get through anything life throws at us.

Dracula by Bram Stoker - As an avid horror fan (whether it be in film or book) I was drawn to Dracula at a young age. The book's complexity just presented itself as a present ready to be unwrapped. One thing I will never forget is that Dracula presents us with a question that has still not be fully answered. How far would one go to live forever?

The Light of Other days by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter - This magnificently crafted book is a must read. These two brilliant authors made a masterpiece which changed a lot of my views on history. The main theme is posing the point that history is biased towards the viewpoints of the people who wrote it. It left me questioning many main events that changed our history. Are some of the things that happened wrong? Are we living a lie? (they were questions I had when I was younger, but in truth I still think of them sometimes)

The Lord of the Rings is one of my favorite books! Tolkien was an incredible man, reading his books is discovering a fantastic world in which he created maps, languages, hobbits, orcs ...

So many! So Many! I can't name just one. Anybody else like that? So many books, so little time.

Most recently, Kendrick's _Scrappy Little Nobody_ for how to live as a committed professional. On an earlier bent, King's _On Writing_ for how to live as a writer, and then there's Willis's _Bellwether_ and Evanovich's _One For the Money_ for just flat out fun...

There's a book for every season.

Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo taught me that forgiveness is not something you receive but something you earn.

HMMM thats so hard to pick:

- Firstly, I would have to say the Ruby Red trilogy by Kirsten Gier. It was so perfect and I could just read it over and over again.

- Second, I know it is cliched but probably the Harry Potter series. It really jumpstarted my love for reading.

-Finally, I would say Ballet Shoes. Just the sweetest story in the world.

Definitely “Life of Pi” by Yann Martel.

George (last edited Aug 31, 2019 01:23AM ) Aug 31, 2019 01:13AM   0 votes
'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte; "A person who has not done one half his day's work by ten o'clock, runs a chance of leaving the other half undone." This radically changed my life for the better. (Weirdly though, I didn't learn how not to be Heathcliff. Huh.)

Gabriel (last edited Jan 15, 2020 07:12PM ) Jan 14, 2020 02:45PM   0 votes
'The Old Man and the Sea' made me think about a lot of important things in life, It helped me become a better person like no other book and that still stands to this day... I keep trying to be even just a little bit better today than the day before.

The Truth Seeker by Dee Henderson. I was 12 and it led me to a lifelong love of reading about forensic science. Also, The Magician's Nephew By C.S. Lewis. I was 16 and it and the rest of The Chronicles of Narnia lit up my world like nothing else.

As a child there were a few titles that profoundly impacted who I have been all my life. First to mind, Helen Keller: The Story of My Life. Second, Anne Frank's Diary.

Next most memorable books that have remained with me: the Narnia books and the Hobbit books - all of them - read them more than once.

Next, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its sequels... omg... Douglas Adams is clever and hilarious!

1984 by Orwell, holy crap!

The Way of Zen by Alan Watts, paradigm shifter - coupled with The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell, read the same year, and that is the year I began writing the Saardu saga, a whole new myth.

Most recently, Ava's Man by Rick Bragg - by far the most juicy writing style I've ever encountered, and a hella good story!

For me, it was probably 'I Capture the Castle' by Dodie Smith. I read it when I was in my early teenage years and it completely captivated me as I related so much with the narrator Cassandra, we were both in our teens, misunderstood and were in that awkward place between childhood and womanhood.

I felt the pain and the joy of the character as it taught me that love is horribly complicated and nothing is ever really like a 'brick wall' happy ending like people make it out to be.

It also has one of the best ending lines I've ever read. "Only the margin left to right on now. I love you. I love you. I love you."

they cage the animals at night

read this book when i was in middle school and it blew me away. a story about this kid and what he went though in a very early part of his life made me realize a lot about myself.

Stephen (last edited Apr 10, 2019 10:30AM ) Apr 10, 2019 10:29AM   0 votes
Xenocide by Orson Scott Card changed the way I thought about how we interact with people and why you can sometimes connect with some people more easily than others.
The concept of patterns defining individuals and forming the basis for connections with others while also being an opportunity for the start of existence was particularly influential.

I have read it multiple times.

I can call 2 books, both by R.A.Heinlein, the first is Job: A Comedy of Justice. There is no one pure good God. And love prevail, the good woman is the ground.

The second is Picture this. It is a story about rises and crashes of humans and civilisations. About hopes and expectations.

The Hobbit.

I remember it clearly. I would be about 12. After receiving my feedback from an essay I'd written in class my English teacher pulled me aside and handed me this book to read. It was the first time I discovered the world of elves and dwarves that wasn't fairytales. Went on to read The Magician's Nephew, Dragon Lance and Lord of the Rings etc. Been hooked on fantasy ever since.

I read 1984 around 1984 when I was still a kid and it had a profound effect on me. Today I'm anarchic and nihilistic and the bad old days of the 1980s are coming back with a vengeance and Orwell's masterpiece is inspiring people once again to think for themselves.

Definitely it was S. King's "Storm of the century". Book keeps you in tension, seeking for answers, wondering what will happen next. King made me love reading!

Nun's Story

Wherthing Heights and the Count of Monta Carlo

Jonathan Livingstone Seagull. It made me view animals differently. Suddenly I saw them, not as another species, but as another nation. I wanted human imposed national borders to vanish so all humanity becomes one big nation.
Then there is the nation of gulls, the nation of whales, dolphins. Octopuses would be an entire separate nation and so would dogs.
The rights of nations as we view them for humans would then apply to animals. If you go out on the sea, you are trespassing on the territory of the great sea-beings and must respect them, but not making distracting and dangerous noises that might upset their navigation.
If you go onto the arctic ice, you must understand this is not your realm but that of the polar bears and seals and you must respect them likewise.
Animals would never be farmed again and their numbers would reduce to nature's chosen proportions. So much land could then revert to native forests, the planet might even survive after all.

Brave New World

Dean Ryan (last edited Jan 13, 2020 09:58AM ) Jan 13, 2020 09:50AM   0 votes
For fiction, I would like to say Lord of The Rings Trilogy, it made me cry, but these books haven't made a punch in my gut as Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children. I saw myself in Jacob Portman as I was reading the first book. Ransom Riggs also writes well to a point that I put myself inside the story while feeling good with how the written words embraced me. Believe me, I had goosebumps as the story ended and Jacob narrated, "I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was (page 351)." I paused for a while and realized Riggs has written the fiction story of my nonfiction life.

For nonfiction, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey is my clear choice. I finished psychology in college, therefore, this book serves as my shadow. It explains how a proactive individual travels a chaotic stressful life with success and resilience. Great, great book looking forward re-reading it while annotating.

deleted member (last edited Feb 15, 2020 09:40PM ) Feb 15, 2020 09:39PM   0 votes
Mockingbird by Kathryn Erskine. I read it shortly after learning I had Aspergers and it really helped me better understand my own diagnosis. I had been feeling like such a freak and I just wanted to be normal, like everyone else. Thanks to this book I’m trying to be more accepting of myself and realize that it’s ok to be different sometimes.

Lord of the Rings. I am fascinated by Tolkien's ability to construct an entire society, even inventing a whole language. This trilogy is a testament to the astounding capacity of the human imagination. It's such an epic tale, sometimes I feel I'm reading the history of a long lost ancient world.

Vaclav Kratochvil LoTR is probably more "lyrically", The Silmarillion is more "epic", the described stories have their strength too. ...more
Feb 20, 2020 02:26PM · flag

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. The more times I've read it, the more complexities I uncover. Especially the more I learn about Charlotte and her sisters.

And on another end of the spectrum, Jonathan Stroud's, Bartimaeus trilogy. I love sarcasm (Princess Bride and Hitchhikers included), but the use of cliff notes and how magic was explained really impacted me as a writer. I recommend these books to everyone.

So many books have meant so much to me. The first would be Madelaine L'Engle's "Wrinkle in Time." I identified so strongly with Meg. Then, Dorothy Dunnett's series about Francis Lymond (six books that I re-read EVERY year). The characters, their struggles, challenges and transformation are so powerful. Amazing writing, intriguing plots and history made this series part of my very being. Good writing gets in the soul and acts there forever!