Play Book Tag discussion

The End of Loneliness
This topic is about The End of Loneliness
Archive: Other Books > The End of Loneliness - Benedict Wells - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I think my experience of this novel is a case of 'It's not you, it's me'. It took me two weeks to get through due to my life being too busy, although I do suspect that if it had drawn me in further I would have gotten through it quicker, as I have just read another book in two days and my life is no less busy. The book tells the story of Jules, a young man who ends up in boarding school after the tragic death of both of his parents. There he meets Alva, who is also grieving, and the two develop an unlikely friendship. The novel follows the relationship of the two across decades, and it should have had me feeling more than it did. The prose just didn't grab me, and I was left feeling a bit ho hum about the whole story. I just didn't feel emotionally connected. I'd love to hear from others who have read it, and I really do wonder if my feelings of disconnection were due to the time it took for me to read it.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7112 comments Your opener made me laugh-I understand completely. I have my pile of books on my nightstand and I alternate books every few chapters, but there are times when there is that one book that just stays on the bottom of the pile, yet i am not ready to throw in the towel. I think it has a lot to do with an emotional connection-

Susie | 4488 comments Yes, they have to have that emotional tug, don’t they?