Reading Women discussion

A Very Large Expanse of Sea
This topic is about A Very Large Expanse of Sea
April - A Very Large Expanse of Sea

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendra, Co-founder (new) - added it

Kendra Winchester (kdwinchester) | 559 comments Mod
For April, one of our picks is A Very Large Expanse of Sea by Tahereh Mafi. The discussion episode will drop on April 17th, but feel free to discuss the book beforehand. No spoilers please. :)

Nelly Paulina (aneelee) | 5 comments really enjoying.

message 3: by D (new) - rated it 4 stars

D Dyer | 40 comments I finished this today. I liked it but I didn’t necessarily love it. I think I just wanted a more complex story, and maybe more complex secondary characters. I still enjoyed it I just don’t know that I will be coming back to this book.

Jessica Haider (jessicahaider) | 40 comments I finished this one a few days ago and enjoyed it! I am curious to see what others thought. I had it on my reading list before it was a selection for this group so it was a happy coincidence that it was a monthly selection. My husband is a Muslim so I like to read a selection of books about/by Muslim Americans.

Nelly Paulina (aneelee) | 5 comments finished it and am rather meh about it but i sometimes have a hard time with teen romance. don’t want to let out any spoilers so will hold off ‘til end of month or for when podcast discussion goes up.

Kelly Gesker | 1 comments You had me at break dancing Muslim fashionista!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I finished it yesterday and, over all, enjoyed it enough for a YA romance. For someone who was 19 in 2002, I felt like there were some historical inaccuracies. Maybe Mafi's way of trying to relate a historical fiction to today's youth? I'll go in to them a little further at the end of the month, but they just stood out considerably. I really like the message of truism in this novel and how Mafi gave us fresh faces in a genre that is riddled with stereotypes and predictability.

Deborah (dg_reads) | 6 comments I finished this over the weekend and I enjoyed it. It definitely gave a more meaningful twist to see the insights of the main character and what she gave through to complicate the typical narrative of a YA romance.