Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Cover Help > Tons of broken images

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments I've noticed over the past month or so tons of broken images. Cover images that used to come up perfectly fine are now invisible or show broken links, especially in searches or as icons in Listopia lists.

Prime example:

https://www.goodreads.com/search?q=pe...

When I see them, I download the image, delete the original, and then reupload, and that will fix it. But does anyone know why this is happening?

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42428 comments Mod
That particular book has a recent cover change reversion.

If you are seeing a larger pattern, that is not something librarians can assist you with.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments Out of curiosity, why has someone changed the default cover? It used to be the green cover. I thought the default version was based on the number of times the book has been shelved.

I can fix the broken image for Perks, but it just seems like it's happening constantly to dozens of established titles. Maybe I'll mention it as a possible bug over in the Feedback group.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

That edition has had its cover changed many times. This time was undoing several of the more recent changes.

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments But the default cover has been green as long as I've been on GR.

This new pink one is definitely new. Is it okay to change it back? Someone just changed it 8 hours ago.

message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

And the change was a reversion to what it was in 2011. No, it would not be ok to change it to a more recent cover.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments No problem. I wasn't planning to change it back, I was just curious. I did fix the broken image, though.

message 8: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20171 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "When I see them, I download the image, delete the original, and then reupload, and that will fix it."

It would be very much appreciated to add a change comment when uploading the cover, explaining why it was done.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments Arenda wrote: "It would be very much appreciated to add a change comment when uploading the cover, explaining why it was done."

I've started putting it down in the "librarian note" section. Is that the right place?

message 10: by lethe (last edited Apr 02, 2019 11:16AM) (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "I've started putting it down in the "librarian note" section. Is that the right place?"

No, it should be in the 'change comment' box above the 'save changes' button. That way, the comment stays with the cover change/upload in question. Librarian notes may change or be deleted.

ETA Ah, I see you mean the librarian comments at the bottom of the page. I sometimes use them, but only for remarks that cannot be put in the 'change comment' box. The 'change comment' box is preferred for explanations on edits.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 125 comments Ah, ok, I'll start putting it there. I always like to properly document everything in case people have questions.

message 12: by annob (new)

annob | 1548 comments Arenda, lethe, Rainbowheart - I love you all for adding change comments! To explain why a cover image was removed helps to distinguish between incorrect cover removals in need of fixing, and justifiable ones like in this case with broken images.

Goodreads Help section about Change Comments:
https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/4...