Reading 1001 discussion

Drop City
This topic is about Drop City
1001 book reviews > Drop City by TC Boyle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments 4 stars

This is the third book by Boyle that I have read and each of them is completely different from the other, but equally as good as the other. He sets his books so well. The time and place is so perfectly drawn that you are fully transported. I was a child in the 1960s and 1970s and the whole hippie lifestyle is fascinating to me. I love that Boyle took me there. For the time I was reading this book my name was Sunshine, I was young and free and unconstrained by responsibility.

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 423 comments My rating: 5 stars.
Hippies meet frontier Alaska. Sounds like a setting for some seriously funny jokes, and I did find it funny watching a bunch of naive California folks, hooked on mind-altering substances and caught up in a group fantasy of self-importance, wandering off to a place where reality can and will re-assert itself.
I liked how this novel shows some of how conventional ideas like gender roles creep into even the most earnest bohemian groups, so that women are still treated as subservient, expected to cook and clean and allow men to use their bodies at will in the spirit of 'free love'. Traditional power structures still turn up in Drop City, and persist because the men who hold the greater power enjoy their positions and have no reason to freely give up their power. Since Boyle focuses on the POV of a woman, Star, we get to see the rather conventional ways women are treated within the nudist, supposedly egalitarian society the people of Drop City are creating.

Kristel (kristelh) | 3801 comments Mod
T. C. Boyle is the author of eleven novels, including World’s End (winner of the PEN/Faulkner Award), Drop City (a New York Times bestseller and finalist for the National Book Award). I read World's End and now Drop City which I actually owed the longest of the two books. I liked World's End a lot but this one took a long time to get into.

The book published in 2003 is set in the late sixties and is a story of the hippie generation. Upon searching drop city I find that there really was a Drop City that was established by artists but it was in Colorado. There were similarities in the difficulties the fictional Drop City of California experienced to that in Colorado. I was a young person during this era but never really a hippy and not into free love or drug culture. I liked the book much better when the group goes north to Boynton, Alaska to establish Drop City North and where they really learn what it means to live off the land. I did not like most of these people. My favorites were the Alaskan couple Sess and Pamela. Of t he hippies, I liked Star and Marco the most but just a bit more than the rest. I did have hope in them. I hated the way the hippies just threw their trash and had no disregard for nature and lived in a continuous drug fogged world, never washing. Sex, called free, in the era is not ever free. There is always consequences for all choices one makes.

Dree | 243 comments 3 stars

Late 60s, early 70s. A commune of sorts, Drop City, in Northern California and then Alaska. The "guru", Norm, is a 30-40ish guy who owns property and thus can host this group.

These folks are proud of being hippies, proud of being "free", proud of their (supposed) lack of hangups around sex and drugs. And there is a lot of both, as most of the members just d whatever whenever. Only some of the women and a few of the men do 80% of the work or more. And they know it, for the most part.

The first half of this book was OK. When they went to Alaska, though, it was more of the same, only in -40 degree weather. Which just seems soooo impossible when there are no roads and you need a boat or snow machine (they don't have one) to get to town. They got no game...what are the 18 that stay the winter eating?

This book was just too long, and the wrapping up was really not satisfying to me.