Play Book Tag discussion

March 2019: Debut > Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra / 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Constellation of Vital Phenomena by Anthony Marra
5 Stars

In a small village in Chechnya a young girl named Havaa hides in the forest when Russian soldiers come, take her father away, and burn down her house. Her compassionate neighbor, Akhmed, takes her on a trek through the forest to a nearby hospital. He's heard of a doctor there that he hopes will be able to take Havaa and keep her safe, as he has learned the soldiers who took her father are still looking for Havaa.

Akhmed does find Sonja, the doctor he seeks, but the hospital is in shambles and almost all staff has fled because of the bombings, bullets, and danger from military forces on either side of the brutal civil war. Sonja agrees to take Havaa in, but only if Akhmed commits to assisting at the hospital. The complex storyline unfolds and the reader eventually discovers why Havaa's father was taken and why the authorities are still looking for Havaa.

Marra is such a gifted writer. The story shows how the brutalities of war break people, and how compassion and courage save people. Marra takes all of the disparate threads of story that he creates and weaves them into a beautiful, tragic, humanist tapestry that all fits together by the end of the book. As a reader might expect in a book set during war time, there are depictions of graphic violence and torture.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This book was stunning. I love Marra's writing so much and can't wait for him to write another novel. The Tsar of Love and Techno is equally as good as A Constellation.

message 3: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments I love his writing and know that I've said it before but I saw him speak about this book.

Kimber I love your review and agree that Marra is a gifted writer. I hope to read many of his books.

message 4: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments I completely agree Susie. The nuanced, quality writing in both of Marra's books is rare. I will read anything he puts forth.

message 5: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments That must have been a memorable author talk, BnB! I'd love to attend one of Marra's author events.

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8279 comments Stunning book! Who would have ever thought I would so enjoy a book from war torn Chechnya? 5 stars for me and in my top ten that year!

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2211 comments Loved this book so much

message 8: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5493 comments Kimber wrote: "That must have been a memorable author talk, BnB! I'd love to attend one of Marra's author events."

It was, I had just finished reading Constellation of Vital Phenomena when the talk was announced and it seemed so serendipitous.

He at the time I saw him was 28. So young for such momentous work. He is awfully cute and was so interesting.

I can't wait to see what he does next.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5631 comments It was a 4-star read for me.