BooktubeSFF Awards discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived 2019 > Adventure Zone: Here There Be Gerblins Readalong

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (coutlaw) | 22 comments I'm so thrilled that it's finally April so that we can talk about those good good brothers and their first graphic novel! This is the place to drop all your thoughts, feelings, critiques, and emotions about the TAZ crew!

message 2: by LeeNichole (new)

LeeNichole | 6 comments Mod
I read Here There Be Gerblins this winter and absolutely loved it. I just finished listening to the Balance arc for the first time, and I still can’t really believe that the Tres Horny Boys had me in actual tears. I have all the feels about TAZ and the coming book did such a good job of capturing its spirit.

Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) (theshadesoforange) | 27 comments I really enjoyed Adventure Zone. I think it's going to get my vote.
Of course, I've played D&D for years so I wonder how non-D&D players will feel about this one.

message 4: by LeeNichole (new)

LeeNichole | 6 comments Mod
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange) wrote: "I really enjoyed Adventure Zone. I think it's going to get my vote.
Of course, I've played D&D for years so I wonder how non-D&D players will feel about this one."

I had never played D&D before listening to TAZ or reading Here There Be Gerblins, and it translates really well even for people who've never played before. I actually gathered up my siblings for a game just because TAZ made it seem so fun.

Luminous_Monkey | 7 comments I just finished this, and although I don't think I'm not the target audience for this, having no idea who the authors were and only a vague idea of DnD, I still really enjoyed it. I think they did a good job of translating the concept to graphic novel form, and gave it 3.5 stars.

message 6: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda This was fun, my dudes.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 41 comments I quite enjoyed this! My boyfriend and his friends have a D&D campaign running but I've never participated so I have a vague idea of how things are supposed to go and I quite enjoyed this. Especially the when the DM would make comments. :)

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey | 61 comments I have this out from the library, but I have zero experience of D&D and also haven't listened to the podcast, so I'm wondering if those who've read it already think I'll get anything out of it?

message 9: by ReadBecca (new)

ReadBecca (readxbecca) | 18 comments Kelsey wrote: "I have this out from the library, but I have zero experience of D&D and also haven't listened to the podcast, so I'm wondering if those who've read it already think I'll get anything out of it?"

As long as you have very general idea of the concept of tabletop gaming, you shouldn't have trouble following anything in there. Beyond that it has the usual adventuring party in a high fantasy world setup from a story perspective, so it's definitely readable for a non-tabletop gamer.

message 10: by Shelby M. (new)

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) (shelby-m-read-and-find-out) | 51 comments Just finished this! It was definitely fun, but not exactly my thing. I really want to play D&D though, and this solidified that for me! Haha.

message 11: by jocelyn (new)

jocelyn (yogiwithabook) Kelsey wrote: "I have this out from the library, but I have zero experience of D&D and also haven't listened to the podcast, so I'm wondering if those who've read it already think I'll get anything out of it?"

i'm the same and i thought it was just fine. i do think i'd have gotten more out of it if i did already have a love for the podcast, or at least d&d, and therefore be more of the target market. as it was, i didn't find it the most exciting and felt like i was left out of inside jokes.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.