NYRB Classics discussion

Archive > Choosing a book for June 2019

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Louise (new)

Louise | 491 comments Mod
It's already time for a new round of nominations! You may nominate up to 5 NYRB Classics titles until Sunday April 7th at 11:59pm EST, after which I will create a poll for the most nominated books.

I will start it off with A Chill in the Air: An Italian War Diary, 1939–1940 by Iris Origo

and

Sand by Wolfgang Herrndorf

message 2: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
I will nominate Max Havelaar.

message 3: by Louise (new)

Trevor wrote: "I will nominate Max Havelaar."

I almost nominated that one! I will actually second it.

message 4: by Trevor (new)

Trevor (mookse) | 1425 comments Mod
I just got a copy of Castle Gripsholm, by Kurt Tucholsky. It looks fantastic! And it is called a “summer book”! I nominate it as well. It comes out in May so there should be time for everyone to get a copy.

message 6: by carissa (new)

carissa I second Castle Gripsholm, The Pumpkin Eater and School for Love.

message 7: by retired.linda (new)

retired.linda I nominate:
"Lost Time"....Lectures on Proust in a Soviet Prison Camp

message 10: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments Trevor wrote: "I will nominate Max Havelaar."

I second "Max Havelaar," and will also nominate "Other Men's Daughters."

message 11: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 46 comments I second Post Office Girl, and renominate That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana

message 12: by Mirko (new)

Mirko | 77 comments sisilia wrote: "The Post-Office Girl

Post Office Girl looks to be quite a good read as well. I have read a few of Stefan Zweig's works and so far I quite liked his works

message 15: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 44 comments I should hopefully be able to join in by June & would also support Our Spoons Came from Woolworths

(Can understand if this post may have to be disregarded tho, because I didn't join in Katalin St during March)

Bryan--The Bee’s Knees (theindefatigablebertmcguinn) | 52 comments That Awful Mess on the Via Merulana
Cassandra at the Wedding
Loving

I'll reserve my other nominations for a little bit

message 18: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments I will second Lost Time by Józef Czapski.

message 19: by Louise (new)

Antonomasia wrote: "Can understand if this post may have to be disregarded tho, because I didn't join in Katalin St during March."

Nonsense. Participation in group book discussions, while highly encouraged, is not a prerequisite for nominations. Your nomination is accepted, and appreciated.

message 20: by retired.linda (new)

retired.linda I'll add another:

Tolstoy, Rasputin, Others, and Me.........by Teffi

message 21: by Antonomasia (new)

Antonomasia | 44 comments Linda wrote: "I'll add another:

Tolstoy, Rasputin, Others, and Me.........by Teffi"

Also seconding this one.

Thanks Louise!

message 22: by Louise (new)

Nominations close tomorrow night at 11:59pm so if you haven't nominated the book you would like to read in June yet, you still have time.

message 23: by Louise (new)

I am also going to second Lost Time. Anyone else with more nominations? Less than 5 hours to go!

message 24: by Louise (new)

The nomination period is now closed and the poll is up for a week. Please vote.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 25: by Louise (new)

The poll has closed and our June book will be......

drum roll.....

Max Havelaar!!!

And we will have the great honor of translator David McKay joining us in the discussion so prepare your questions for him. Don't miss out on this wonderful opportunity.

message 26: by David (new)

David McKay | 17 comments Thanks for your kind words, Louise. I'm looking forward to the discussion and honored that the group will be reading our translation.

Please be as frank and critical as you normally would be -- I'm thick-skinned, and in any case, I didn't write the book!

message 27: by Bhaskar (new)

Bhaskar Thakuria Louise wrote: "The poll has closed and our June book will be......

drum roll.....

Max Havelaar!!!

And we will have the great honor of translator David McKay joining us in the discussion so prep..."

Great! I was so eager to read this one, a new title from NYRB. Now it has made to my reading list this June.

message 28: by Seana (new)

Seana | 407 comments Wonderful. I look forward to it.

message 29: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 288 comments That’s very exciting! Thank you for giving us your time, Mr McKay. What a treat for us.