Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

The Eyes of Darkness
This topic is about The Eyes of Darkness
Stand Alone Novels 1980-1985 > The Eyes of Darkness (Mini-Group Read - April 2020)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dustin the wind Crazy little brown owl (dustpancrazy) | 5990 comments Mod
The Eyes of Darkness has been selected as our May Group Read. This title will be featured along with Dean's newest Jane Hawk Novel, The Night Window, during the month of May. (Watchers is our April Group Read)

The Eyes of Darkness was originally published in 1981 when Dean was pretending to be a woman named Leigh Nichols. Leigh Nichols was also the author of Shadowfires.

The Eyes of Darkness introduces a mother grieving for her dead son and one year later exploring the possibility that he isn't actually dead.

Opening lines:

At six minutes past midnight, Tuesday morning, on the way home from a late rehearsal of her new stage show, Tina Evans saw her son, Danny in a stranger's car. But Danny had been dead more than a year. . . .

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 453 comments Sounds good!!!

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments Thanks to our Koontzland group for picking this - I had no review from my 2013 read

Thanks for nominating The Eyes of Darkness for inclusion on the poll, Fred :-)

message 5: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Beamon (susanbeamon) | 64 comments I remember reading this one way back when I was reading Romantic suspense and Regency romances and what I called Gothics. At the time a great many romances were stories where the woman was mostly interested in getting a man so she could be "complete". I hated those books. I wanted stories where the woman did things and had ideas and had agency. Traditional Gothic had a woman who got in serious trouble because she was trying to solve a mystery, frequently in a lonely possibly haunted mansion. As the stories got more modern in their setting, as long as the woman took action, I called it a Gothic and read happily. Leigh's books fell into that category. This will be a reread for me.

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments This was a good one. Only checked it out at the library, but it was fun to read.

I'll be re-reading :-)

message 8: by K.L. (new)

K.L. Phelps (kl_phelps) | 71 comments It's been forever since I read this one. Now I just need to dig out my copy.

message 9: by Nathan (new) - added it

Nathan (nathanhudson) | 38 comments Dee, if you can get on Google Play Books they have it for a pretty decent price. That's where I bought mine from, although I have not started reading it yet. I've got 3 books from the library and just about halfway through the first one so I may be a little late getting to this book my friends but I will catch up. I promise. I'll do this and read From The Corner Of His Eye again soon. I'll get caught up with everyone. My life has been crazy 🤪 lately. A lot of negativity and problems and being sick but I'm past that, I think. I'm feeling a lot better and more rested so I will get caught up. Happy Easter to you all and God bless you and your families and happy reading for the rest of 2019. Keep looking up, because looking down only drags you towards it.

message 10: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments The book is fast & a great Koontz book. I felt not many characters to follow.

message 11: by Fred (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments The flow is going good - When Tina Evan (mom) meets Elliott Stryker (lawyer) & their love grows (different style than in most Koontz books?). The her animosity of messages “NOT DEAD”, “DANNY ALIVE”, etc. She wants to “exhume” her son’s body to prove/not prove he’s there?

Kat, lover of bears... (kati3kat) | 14 comments I originally read this book before cell phones or internet (the 80’s) and loved it. Although Dean Koontz has updated the book and added his name to it, my opinion of the book is unchanged.

This book is 100% MY genre. Part thriller, part mystery, part suspense, and part paranormal. What I thoroughly enjoy about Koontz’ paranormal is that there is a factor of “what if?”

Reading this right after putting down The Night Window (Jane Hawk #5), I think that the scientists of the Pandora Project must be the predecessors of the Nano-tech Arcadians..... what if?

Side note about the Audible Narrator, Tanya Eby:
Listening to her narration was like listening to an elementary school teacher read Curious George. She sounded like she was smiling during tense moments and had the wrong voice for this genre. Glad the book was a short one.

message 13: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Beamon (susanbeamon) | 64 comments Finished my reread. I had forgotten several plot point over the years. Still, an interesting book. I have been collecting the trade paperback versions of several of his books and they all have very funny afterwords, at least in the ones I've read to date. This one concerns a series of proposed "made for TV" movies. This book was going to be one of them. It didn't happen, for which we can all be happy. I'll have my formal reader review up on Goodreads later this week.

message 14: by Fred (last edited May 26, 2019 02:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Fred (fredderoche) | 124 comments Reread Done, thanks. Added review for which I had None.
The book’s “I’m Not Dead” theme of “is there an indestructible Boy Scout(s) out there?” The end is a nice surprise.

Thanks everyone for participating. I am still re-reading The Eyes of Darkness - likely into June. I've fallen behind on the group reads but trying to catch up :-) I am currently reading From The Corner of His Eye, Watchers and The Eyes of Darkness. Cold Fire is our June Group Read.

Marlise (mawz76) | 22 comments I have to say I didn't really enjoy this much, although likely part of that had to do with the narrator on Audible. Aside from that, the plot line and the characters really didn't "catch" me. Looking forward to the June read.

message 17: by Mary (last edited Feb 13, 2020 02:39PM) (new)

Mary (broomemarygmailcom) | 351 comments I know many are fox news haters but I thought I would post this anyway as I was so surprised to read this and vaguely remember it towards the end of the book. The biological weapon that is made in Wuhan, China was strange. Once again it shows the research that Koontz does before writing. (mostly guns, weapons, government agencies and of course WINES!) haha

Or, is he actually psychic? :-)

tps://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/dean-ko...

https://apple.news/A8B5ws5TxTnCefSSu3...

Charissa Wilkinson (lilmizflashythang) | 247 comments That is freaky....

I'm going to start re-reading this again since it's related to current events, even though I just read it last year.

message 20: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 51 comments I've never read this one, so I'll try and join in as well!

I think I will put Eyes of Darkness as a Mini-Group Read. We haven't had a title featured that way in a while. Many people are reading The Eyes of
Darkness right now, even people who have never read Dean Koontz before.

message 22: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 51 comments I saw his post on social media talking about how any similarity to the current virus was a coincidence. Still very interesting!

C.P. wrote: "I saw his post on social media talking about how any similarity to the current virus was a coincidence. Still very interesting!"

Yes. Read his response in Useless News which arrived in my mailbox this week :-)

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Dandurant (karendandurant) | 75 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "I think I will put Eyes of Darkness as a Mini-Group Read. We haven't had a title featured that way in a while. Many people are reading The Eyes of
Darkness right now, even people who have never re..."

I just reread this one, after hearing about the potential link. The reference to Wuhan, China is very small but it still makes for an interesting coincidence right now.

I'm currently re-reading The Eyes of Darkness - certainly not one of my favorites ha ha.