Tournament of Books discussion

Cloud Atlas
This topic is about Cloud Atlas
2020 Super-Rooster Books > Cloud Atlas

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1617 comments location for Tournament of Rooster winners book: Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

message 2: by Erin (last edited Apr 01, 2019 04:54PM) (new) - added it

Erin Glover (erinxglover) | 101 comments Hi Amy. Thanks for putting together this list. I've read a lot of these novels, but missed others. I take it you opened threads to encourage discussion of the books? Just jump in and discuss? I cannot believe The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao was from 2008, over ten years ago. I've been hanging out here a long time. I own this book in hardcover (I won it). Frankly, it was not wondrous.

Lauren Oertel | 784 comments I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the ending was really strong. I might consider rereading it in print to see if that works better for this one. Does anyone have thoughts on how the audio compares to the print version?

message 4: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the ending was really strong. I might consider re..."

I don't think I could have done it justice with audio...I remember going back and forth in my book to really try to tease out the interweaving of storylines. I'm especially excited about re-reading this one, because I think it's the kind of book that expands and deepens the more times you delve into it. (I want to read Bone Clocks again too.)

message 5: by Neale (new)

Neale  (collincollinsbookblogcom) | 122 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the ending was really strong. I mi..."

Cloud Atlas is up there with my favourite books of all time. I still find something new every time I read it. Bone Clocks is great as well, and I like how Slade House ties in with it. :)

Bretnie | 433 comments I went back and looked at all the TOB winners that I've read and had rated this one the lowest of any (3 stars, everything else was 4 or 5 stars). Which is funny since in my memory, now that it's been a while, I remember finding it amazing.

I even watched the movie recently and had one of those "never as good as the book" comments. I might have to re-read it! It would be interesting, knowing what to expect, and more about what it "means" from the beginning.

message 7: by jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

jo | 429 comments Cloud Atlas changed my dna.

message 8: by Neale (new)

Neale  (collincollinsbookblogcom) | 122 comments Bretnie wrote: "I went back and looked at all the TOB winners that I've read and had rated this one the lowest of any (3 stars, everything else was 4 or 5 stars). Which is funny since in my memory, now that it's b..."

I think it was always going to be a herculean task to fit a novel of that structure and magnitude into the format of a film. I think the brothers did their best, but I think it's almost an impossible task. I really hope Mitchell gifts us with another book soon.

message 9: by Kip (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kip Kyburz (kybrz) | 161 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the ending was really strong. I mi..."

I ended up getting the audiobook from my library to get through that central chapter with the bizarre proto-English. Read everything else. I think the audiobook was great in that case.

I think when I reread it I will try and just read through it all. I liked the book but I think it's my fourth favorite David Mitchell book. But I'm excited to go back to it after going through the others.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Collin wrote: "Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the endin..."

Did you like Slade House? I actually own it, but I never read it (which often happens with books I own since I feel like I have all the time in the world to read them...and then they get buried at the bottom of my Kindle shelf never to be seen again...) The plot summary didn't grab me, but I think it might be fun to read all three together.

Jennifer (aka EM) | 24 comments jo wrote: "Cloud Atlas changed my dna."

hahahaha

This is my prediction for winner! (maybe?)

Thanks, Amy, for the threads!

message 12: by Neale (new)

Neale  (collincollinsbookblogcom) | 122 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Collin wrote: "Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I th..."

Slade House was a little bit underwhelming, but I did enjoy it. It's been so long since I read it that I may have to read it again. I think it's a great idea about reading them together. I should have reread The Bone Clocks before reading Slade House. Yes, I think I might do that, thanks Elizabeth. :)

message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth | 199 comments This is one of my favorite TOB winners. However, it is not my favorite David Mitchell novel. That designation belongs to The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet.

Lauren Oertel | 784 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I listened to the audio version of Cloud Atlas about a year ago. I remember it not holding my attention very well in some parts, but then I thought the ending was really strong. I mi..."

That makes sense - thanks for the input!

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Beth wrote: "This is one of my favorite TOB winners. However, it is not my favorite David Mitchell novel. That designation belongs to The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet."

Yes, yes!!!! It was like being dropped into the middle of a foreign world and being carried along through incredible adventures. I adored that book.

message 16: by Risa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Risa (risa116) | 123 comments Erin wrote: "Hi Amy. Thanks for putting together this list. I've read a lot of these novels, but missed others. I take it you opened threads to encourage discussion of the books? Just jump in and discuss? I can..."

Oh dear! It is wondrous to me. Truly.

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Risa wrote: "Erin wrote: "Hi Amy. Thanks for putting together this list. I've read a lot of these novels, but missed others. I take it you opened threads to encourage discussion of the books? Just jump in and d..."

I think I come somewhere in between the two of you. I remember really liking his family's story in the Dominican Republic, but being turned off and bored by Oscar's story in NJ. And I remember the language bugging me...I'm not a prude, so if it bothered me it must have been extreme. I think maybe it suffered from what I'm now going to think of as the There, There issue...so hyped it was bound not to live up to expectations.

message 18: by Risa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Risa (risa116) | 123 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Risa wrote: "Erin wrote: "Hi Amy. Thanks for putting together this list. I've read a lot of these novels, but missed others. I take it you opened threads to encourage discussion of the books? Just ..."

So, true confession: I only read "Oscar Wao" two years ago, long after the hype had died down. That might have aided its cause, because it utterly wowed me, and not because it was an "It Book", but because I thought it was brilliant.

Sarah Tittle | 49 comments My entire family read this book one summer when we were on vacation in the Charlevoix. It will always remind me of that, haunting, weird, lovely, unexpected. I can't think of a worse film adaptation though.

message 20: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 6 comments jo wrote: "Cloud Atlas changed my dna."

Perfect description! Loved this book too.

message 21: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Glover (erinxglover) | 101 comments jo wrote: "Cloud Atlas changed my dna."

This note cracked me up. I was trying to decide if I should read this, Jo. Now I think I'll have to, though I'd like to decide what parts of my DNA I'd like changed.

message 22: by Erin (new) - added it

Erin Glover (erinxglover) | 101 comments Risa wrote: "Oh dear! It is wondrous to me. Truly."

Maybe I should read it again Risa. After all, it's sitting on my shelf. I didn't realize it was a winner.

It's strange to me how a book affects me deeply depending on where I am in my life. What my headspace is. What my life situation is. It would probably be worthwhile to make sure I've read all of these winners. There are about three I never got to, Cloud Atlas being one I own but haven't read.

Ellen H | 704 comments One of my favorite books ever. It blew me away when I read it the first time -- then blew me away when I read it for one book club -- and then blew me a way a third time when I re-read it for the other book club. To this day, I've never read anything like it.

I know I've told this story elsewhere, but it still makes me giggle -- I once abandoned a truly horrible dinner in a restaurant with a total boor/bore because I heard a woman at a nearby table enthusiastically describing the book she was reading to her companion, and it was clearly Cloud Atlas. I got up, ostensibly to go to the bathroom -- and inserted myself into their table and conversation. The woman greeted me as if I were her long lost best friend -- "oh, my god, someone else who's read this book! Isn't it AMAZING?"

Karin (8littlepaws) | 96 comments OK. I've only read The Bone Clocks by Mitchell and it's been a goal a few years now to read his entire catalogue in fairly quick succession.

Then I go about trying to figure out the order in which to read his books and I get completely discombobulated. I ask people, and everyone has a different preference! I might make this a summer project of mine. I'm really working hard this year to read a lot of backlist.

Ellen H | 704 comments This was the only one of his books that I truly loved, so my recommendation would be -- read this one! Don't worry about the others!

Karin (8littlepaws) | 96 comments Ellen wrote: "This was the only one of his books that I truly loved, so my recommendation would be -- read this one! Don't worry about the others!"

One of my IRL friends, we refer to each other as "fiction soulmates". If I love a fiction book, she'll love it too and vice versa. She's been all over me to read his whole collection, she said it's all 100% my wheelhouse, so I really do want to read all of them.

Daniel Sevitt | 80 comments I can't see myself rereading this as it's probably my least favourite of the Mitchell books I've read. I was wowed by Jacob de Zoet and blindsided in the best way by Bone Clocks. But I have a real soft spot for Black Swan Green. David Mitchell is almost exactly my age and this book, playing out on a smaller canvas than his others, is about being 13-14 in the UK at the exact time that I was 13-14 in the UK.

Ellen H | 704 comments Yes, I did like Black Swan Green. But I've been disappointed in all of the others since Cloud Atlas.

message 29: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 04, 2019 06:17AM) (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Cloud Atlas and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet were my favorites...I loved Ghostwritten as well...(If I had to choose, I'd probably read Cloud Atlas first, then Ghostwritten, even though Ghostwritten came out first, since it shows his world view most directly, and IMO you'll appreciate it more after having read BC and CA.)

I think with these books you can't truly appreciate their genius if you read them lightly, you have to look closely at the interconnectedness of all things/people/ideas. You're going to have a fun summer!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 541 comments Cloud Atlas is in my top ten books. I have read the print multiple times and the audio once - it's really a lifesaver for the Hawaiian post-apocalyptic language in the middle for sure.

It's really quite a feat to write so convincingly in multiple genres and then pull the threads together. I think the people who made the movie focused on the wrong things (but movies are always different stories from their book origins) however casting Jim Broadbent as Cavendish was a truly excellent part. The author said that even for him, now that he's seen the movie, he sees the characters as those actors (which is horrifying considering some of the really bad makeup jobs!!)

Meeting the author a few years ago was also an amazing moment. He is so NICE. I had stood in line for an hour, back with my friend who had two bags of books. Between the reading and the signing line I had been listening to David Mitchell's lovely English accent for two hours and since I pick up on accents easily (completely on accident, I swear), when I said hello he asked me if I was English and I was mortified. HA.

Anyway, I'm hoping the tournament of winners was not just a huge April Fools joke after oversharing about one of my favorite books. I was heartbroken when it didn't even make the Booker shortlist; I'm immune to it not advancing in the ToB. Nothing can sway my love.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 541 comments Ooh I have more to say.

For those of you new to Mitchell, he writes all novels as part of an uber universe, so all of them connect in some way. But all are also standalones. You will get more out of Slade House if you've read The Bone Clocks, but it isn't necessary.

Here is an article which explains it pretty well, with bonus photographs of the author! It may contain spoilers in small ways for his work as a whole.

Ellen H | 704 comments I've heard him speak a couple of times and that's exactly how he strikes me, as overwhelmingly NICE. I once wrote in a comment to a program he was speaking on and he complimented me on the air! "Well spotted, Ellen!" he said. Sigh.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 503 comments I love reading all these wonderful stories about my favorite book and author! The character Son Mi 451 has captivated me so much that now I'm constantly on the look out for a Son Mi doppleganger. So far, the only two I've found have been in On Such a Full Sea and The Windup Girl. If anyone can think of any more, please let me know!

message 34: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments This was my gateway book to David Mitchell fandom. I am looking forward to reading his earlier books and re-reading this and his later books now that I know to look for recurring characters.

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments I completely forgot about number9dream. I remember trying it years ago, and giving up, it just didn't make sense to me. Should I try again with a different mindset? Anyone read it?

message 36: by lark (new)

lark benobi (larkbenobi) | 56 comments It's great to hear all this Cloud Atlas love! This book confused me so much and I dnf'd pretty quickly (and have never picked up another David Mitchell novel) but now i have a great big reason to try again...thank you!

message 37: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Anybody want to time a slow-ish read or re-read and discussion of CA in the coming months? It's one of those books I think really benefits from being read and discussed while reading in a book club type setting.

Ellen H | 704 comments What a great idea, Elizabeth. I'm in.

message 39: by Nadine (last edited Apr 04, 2019 08:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nadine (nadinekc) | 503 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "I completely forgot about number9dream. I remember trying it years ago, and giving up, it just didn't make sense to me. Should I try again with a different mindset? Anyone read it?"

I loved it. Read it a while ago, after reading Cloud Atlas. I don't remember it in much detail, but I do remember thinking that it showed the promise that would flower in CA.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 503 comments Ellen wrote: "What a great idea, Elizabeth. I'm in."

I'm in too Elizabeth. I almost never re-read (not enough time!) but I need to make an exception for my #1 favorite book :)

message 41: by hayley (new)

hayley (hayleycox) | 3 comments Karin wrote: "OK. I've only read The Bone Clocks by Mitchell and it's been a goal a few years now to read his entire catalogue in fairly quick succession.

Then I go about trying to figure out the order in which..."

I've been having the same problem without much help from google. Pretty sure I'm going to just start in publication order, including rereading Bone Clocks, since I liked it more than I expected to.

message 42: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Anybody want to time a slow-ish read or re-read and discussion of CA in the coming months? It's one of those books I think really benefits from being read and discussed while reading in a book club..."

sounds great!

message 43: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Great! Ellen, Nadine and Drew (and anyone else interested), when do you think might be a good time to read and discuss?

I'm assuming the championship must be at some point after the 2020 TOB, maybe in the spring like they had last year's NF TOB, or in place of the summer. I'd be happy to do it at any time before then (excluding November to March, of course, maybe also excluding this June-August because of the summer TOB.) Thoughts?

message 44: by Drew (new) - rated it 5 stars

Drew (drewlynn) | 416 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Great! Ellen, Nadine and Drew (and anyone else interested), when do you think might be a good time to read and discuss?

I'm assuming the championship must be at some point after the 2020 TOB, mayb..."

I'm retiring June 14 so almost any time after that is good except Sept. 15-Oct. 1, when I will be out of the country. It's not like I couldn't catch up when I get back though.

message 45: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy (asawatzky) | 1617 comments Would love to join the Atlas group read! I’ve never read it and would appreciate the community commentary!

Nadine (nadinekc) | 503 comments Drew wrote: "Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Great! Ellen, Nadine and Drew (and anyone else interested), when do you think might be a good time to read and discuss?

I'm assuming the championship must be at some point..."

Welcome to the fabulous world of retirement, Drew! I've just celebrated my first year, and I still wake up with a little thrill every morning. Still don't have enough time to read as much as I'd like to though! There must be some theory in physics that explains that phenomenon.

I'm on board for any date to re-read. Maybe I'll celebrate by buying a hard cover to replace my old paperback.

message 47: by Diane (new) - added it

Diane (diane_g) | 9 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Anybody want to time a slow-ish read or re-read and discussion of CA in the coming months? It's one of those books I think really benefits from being read and discussed while reading in a book club..."

Thanks Elizabeth! I haven't read it either, and I'd love to do it as a group read. Count me in!

message 48: by Risa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Risa (risa116) | 123 comments Diane wrote: "Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Anybody want to time a slow-ish read or re-read and discussion of CA in the coming months? It's one of those books I think really benefits from being read and discussed whi..."

Same! It's long been on my TBR list, and this will motivate me to move it up. Will you (Elizabeth) announce when you'd like the discussion to occur so that I can plan my read of CA (around the zillion other books on my TBR list) in time to participate? :-)

message 49: by Elizabeth (last edited Apr 15, 2019 09:03AM) (new)

Elizabeth Arnold | 698 comments Sorry, I've been kind of out of the loop around here. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications (I usually get a nightly summary), so thought there were no discussions going on!

The summer TOB should be over by the end of August, so maybe it would make sense to begin reading and discussing after that? Make Sept. 1 the start date? (I'm completely open to pushing it forward or back, though.) I forget how long each section is, but maybe we could read and discuss 1-2 sections at a time.

Nadine (nadinekc) | 503 comments Elizabeth Arnold wrote: "Sorry, I've been kind of out of the loop around here. For some reason I wasn't getting notifications (I usually get a nightly summary), so thought there were no discussions going on!

The summer TO..."

I'm in for September!

« previous 1 3